Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ethical clothing (Read 1535 times)
Deer hunter Duck Shooter

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Ethical clothing
Apr 15th, 2019 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I know having a discussion that is not about gun laws at the moment may not get to much traction but I will try.

So tearfund released its ethical fashion guide last week.
Hunting and fishing rates D+ which is not the best. What is your thoughts, I for one will shop there less and think can I get it elsewhere.
It made me look at New Zealand hunting gear. I watched a video on hunters element clothing, that was an eye opener on live duck plucking. I am going to get the hunters element kids pack for the kids duck shooting this year.

Mods disclaimer: I am not in the hunting gear industry,  I am a builder and just think this is an important issue.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Re: Ethical clothing
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:10am
Print Post  
totally agree, isn't it funny that people think they need the most exspensive clothing to make them a better hunter, I try avoid H and F I just dont like how they pretty much have the market sown up

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
just an observation but the most prominent nz hunting show on tv at present that has fairly well sold out to the sponsors, which supply the biggest chain of hunting and fishing stores in nz, it is getting hard to watch, really starting to look like an american show, even have to put up with adds when watching on demand. they seem to have the hunting fishing kai gathering market cornered for better or for worse and with all the marketing its hard to believe any of us were able to hunt before they came along with all the fancy gear. i would expect either for any of our gear to be ethically produced, other then a plug for swazi still being made in nz.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
buy yourself an overlocker and make it all yourself. $50 of fleece material will clothe 2 people from head to toe and some. but it does take some thought. Still, I'm happy being seen (or not seen!) in 'designer' one offs Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 6:27am
Print Post  
awaterelad wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:09pm:
just an observation but the most prominent nz hunting show on tv at present that has fairly well sold out to the sponsors, which supply the biggest chain of hunting and fishing stores in nz, it is getting hard to watch, really starting to look like an american show, even have to put up with adds when watching on demand. they seem to have the hunting fishing kai gathering market cornered for better or for worse and with all the marketing its hard to believe any of us were able to hunt before they came along with all the fancy gear. i would expect either for any of our gear to be ethically produced, other then a plug for swazi still being made in nz.

Sorry couldn't quite piece together that last sentence.
I don't mind the product placement, I don't like ads on demand.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 6:31am
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 9:46pm:
buy yourself an overlocker and make it all yourself. $50 of fleece material will clothe 2 people from head to toe and some. but it does take some thought. Still, I'm happy being seen (or not seen!) in 'designer' one offs Roll Eyes

I once used my wifes sewing machine, I had to take it to the shop for a service. Apparently you don't need screwdrivers to change the lower cotton spool. Could have fooled me. Grin

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:06am
Print Post  
It is not only hunting clothing that you should be concerned about being ethically sourced but your day to day clothing as well. The only thing i have found impossible to source is locally made shirts.

I too had a crack on a sewing machine and had a fail  Roll Eyes .. ah well it kept someone employed  Grin

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:06am:
It is not only hunting clothing that you should be concerned about being ethically sourced but your day to day clothing as well. The only thing i have found impossible to source is locally made shirts.

I too had a crack on a sewing machine and had a fail  Roll Eyes .. ah well it kept someone employed  Grin

Agreed, and it is more of an extension of that. I have followed this report for a few years now. Wrote a letter to macpac and hit up someone I know who is linked with them, they improved to a B from a D which was good.
Good to hear a few guys thinking about this stuff.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Deer hunter Duck Shooter wrote on Apr 22nd, 2019 at 6:31am:
I once used my wifes sewing machine, I had to take it to the shop for a service. Apparently you don't need screwdrivers to change the lower cotton spool. Could have fooled me. Grin

Yeah, I once used my mums sewing machine (late 1970's I think?) to make a possum skin fur jacket for wearing when possum shooting on the back of my mates series 1 Landy.  I really didn't know that possum fur could work its way so far through a sewing machine Cheesy Cheesy, It needed a full overhaul after that stint. Mum never quite forgave me Roll Eyes
By the way, that jacket only got used once or twice. Boy it was waaay too hot. 22 possum skins traps quite a bit of body heat Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:06am:

I got an old Singer here and made a fleece pair of pants years ago - and I still wear them. I hold them up with a bit of paracord and it doesn't matter whether you wear them front to back, or back to front - they're the same either way.
My wife did a 'Fashion Course' and used to make a lot of my fleece stuff - 'cept I hardly wear fleece now, I've gone back to wool.
She even made my suit I wear to wedding and funerals - and a waistcoat.

A lot of my stuff comes from the Op-Shop, her mum works in one and she puts stuff aside she knows I like - jumpers, merino tees, pants, shoes and jackets.
I haven't bought an item of clothing out of a shop for over thirty years apart from sox.

I get a lot of stuff from neighbours throwing out their old gear as well - put a sign out down the road some twenty years back that I'd take old clothing - and for all that time people drop off rubbish bags of old clothes that I sort through.
Some gets chopped for garage rags and the good stuff I don't want goes to the Op-Shop.

The good thing with that is I get to talk to the previous owners of those clothes when I go to a local party - and they recognise them.
"I used to fart in those pants."
"Yeah, well I fart in them now."

I also found out you can wear a pair of 'too small' underpants, and they wont stretch, not ever - and that all women are left-handed, cause that's how you button up their cardigans and zip up their pants.

The only time that nearly backfired was when Warren from up the road recognised his favorite Sketcher shoes.
"Wondered where they got too, they disappeared after I had a barney with my wife."
"In that case I'll toss you for them." - and I won, still got them - bloody good shoes.

And now I think about it - I probably never questioned the ethics of where those clothes came from - nor do I expect, will I.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Wouldnt worry a lot about the ethics of where second hand cloths come from SF90.  I knew a couple of vegans that would happily wear second hand leather shoes kind or thing..

Read that a plastic bag used twice has a better eco footprint than a paper bag used once.. and find that quite beleavable. The biggest problem with plastic bags was always the throw it in the rubbish bin because there is another free one at the shop so I dont have to think about what Im taking with me to go shopping. If we had all used a plastic bag 10 times over before chucking it, it would always have been a lesser problem.. but we are all so busy thinking about the next move that hardly a thought goes to reusing stuff.

I would love to see a pic of you wearing those homemade pants but fear my eyeballs would be seared for ever.

Good to see a few guys thinking about this kind of thing.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2019 at 3:00pm by headcase »  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:03am
Print Post  

Those pants are pretty horrible, my wife doesn't like them at all, has had a couple of goes at turfing them but each time I found them in the rubbish bag. Mostly garage pants now, use them for keeping the hot sparks away when I'm grinding in the garage - so lots of holes in them now.
Would post them on here but I lost my Email close to a couple of months back and I've forgotten who does my 'pictures' for me.

And talking about 'ethics' - got really broke a while back and put out a 'flyer' to take on new properties to work my way out of it.
The whole neighbourhood knew I was in the shit and those 'new' people hammered my hourly rate down to well below minimum wage - $12/hr.
When word got out I'd work for that - the work flooded in and I did everything from patching roofs, new guttering, building decks, stone walls to mowing and pulling weeds. Even the local builders used me for all the 'shit work', digging, hauling concrete - but I needed the work to pay debt. Was working 70+ hour weeks and eventually came out of it, then I dumped those people and never looked at them quite the same - and some were people I knew quite well.
I don't employ people, but if I did - I'm bloody sure I wouldn't have done that.
On the other side - I got offered financial support from other friends and a couple I hardly knew, and while I never took them up - I never forgot that either.
And that's not entirely true, because I did grab that offer from two friends - but squared with them when I could and paid interest on the loans.

Yeah - I know about the 'sweat shops' and feel the same as everyone else about them, but I suppose if you were to look at the other side of it - perhaps they're offering work and some sort of living to those who would otherwise have nothing.

It's a hard one mate, but at the end of the day most people have some pride and will make their own way - and there's satisfaction in coming out the other end, knowing you made it happen.

Yeah, I never really regretted that - put myself in it and had a whale of a time, then spent the next few years getting back out of it.

IP Logged

Joe_90

Planning to live forever.
So far, so good.

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Deer hunter Duck Shooter wrote on Apr 15th, 2019 at 5:37pm:
I know having a discussion that is not about gun laws at the moment may not get to much traction but I will try.

So tearfund released its ethical fashion guide last week.
Hunting and fishing rates D+ which is not the best. What is your thoughts, I for one will shop there less and think can I get it elsewhere.
It made me look at New Zealand hunting gear. I watched a video on hunters element clothing, that was an eye opener on live duck plucking. I am going to get the hunters element kids pack for the kids duck shooting this year.

Mods disclaimer: I am not in the hunting gear industry,  I am a builder and just think this is an important issue.

Cactus Outdoor are a NZ company with a very solid reputation for quality. Christchurch based and make their gear there.
Swazi is a pretty good option too if a bit costly.

Without good mates the "great outdoors" is simply the "big outside"

IP Logged

southotago hern

Meat hunter for life

Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Yeah Cactus gear is the way forward for tough gear can be a bit heavy if you get their toughest gear but their motto is gear that you wear in not wear out and they stand by that with repairs to normal wear. localy made and reasonable cost I've just replaced a pair of their leggens I've worn for work after 5 years of solid abuse

IP Logged

BJ

Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
MKM original knit wear. you can't beat there woolen singlets and jerseys. and made from our locally grown product supporting our farmers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards