Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wannabe Possum Trapper (Read 680 times)
Bon
Donor Member

Re: Wannabe Possum Trapper
Reply #15 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 10:40am
Print Post  
I presume you have checked out your proposed trapping area,so you should have  reasonable knowledge of the terrain and expected numbers.For the distance you indicated I would be inclined to walk in, make two or three trips to get your gear in, and set up a comfortable camp.Helicopter hire will eat your profits very quickly. Nothing worse than working off a dead horse. As others have already said, use tape if you can't follow your trap line.Put the $ into buying another 50 good quality traps, you are going to be there to catch enough to make a living.Put time into your trap sets, trapping is hunting. Forget that spacing stuff, at times you may have several traps within fifty yards. Don't take much flour, if any . Try Using corflute 6inches x 4 inches. Take some liquid lure,aniseed, lemon, eucalyptus aniseed. Mix it with water in there and just spray it on.Much lighter to pack in, and reusable. plus you won't need that unsightly tape. Hey good on you for having a go. There is so so much to learn,the first eleven years or so will be the most trying however once you have made it through to there it becomes easier.

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 10:42am
Print Post  
I presume you have checked out your proposed trapping area,so you should have  reasonable knowledge of the terrain and expected numbers.For the distance you indicated I would be inclined to walk in, make two or three trips to get your gear in, and set up a comfortable camp.Helicopter hire will eat your profits very quickly. Nothing worse than working off a dead horse. As others have already said, use tape if you can't follow your trap line.Put the $ into buying another 50 good quality traps, you are going to be there to catch enough to make a living.Put time into your trap sets, trapping is hunting. Forget that spacing stuff, at times you may have several traps within fifty yards. Don't take much flour, if any . Try Using corflute 6inches x 4 inches. Take some liquid lure,aniseed, lemon, eucalyptus aniseed. Mix it with water in there and just spray it on.Much lighter to pack in, and reusable. plus you won't need that unsightly tape. Hey good on you for having a go. There is so so much to learn,the first eleven years or so will be the most trying however once you have made it through to there it becomes easier.

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Whoopsie!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #18 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 11:05am
Print Post  
You don't have to say everything  twice bon.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #19 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 11:13am
Print Post  
It's me trembling digits

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 11:13am
Print Post  
It's me trembling digits

IP Logged

Tin Dish
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #21 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
I like the comment from Bon that "trapping is hunting" and "sometimes you may have several traps within fifty yards". Has kind of made me change the way I was looking at the setting of my traps.
I'm definetly keen to stay away from areas that have weka and kiwi so I don't have to elevate my sets.

Seeing as I'm so green the plan has always been to take in 50 traps on the first trip and come to grips with the terrain and setting the traps and recovering the fur etc. Then to take another 50 traps in on the next trip and do a line off 100 and just work from there.

I like the idea of spreading the traps further so as to keep them catching longer. While being aware as Bon mentioned that some areas based on the sign will require more traps in a smaller area. It's more walking but as Salmoner said it's about possums in traps.

Gonehuntin- This is my fifth post so will be able to PM after this. (thanks for the offer).

So much to learn and i can't wait to get started.

Cheers guys

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Not to stir the pot too much but..
Quote:
hunting noun
hunt·​ing | \ ˈhən-tiŋ  \
Definition of hunting
1 : the act of one that hunts
specifically : the pursuit of game
2 : the process of hunting

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

NAAA run!!

Reply #23 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
and then..

Quote:
pursuit noun
pur·​suit | \ pər-ˈsüt  , -ˈsyüt\
Definition of pursuit
1 : the act of pursuing
2 : an activity that one engages in as a vocation, profession, or avocation : OCCUPATION

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

NAAA run!!

Reply #24 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
LOL Thats all I have

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Kickstart has been at the single malt again. Cheers!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #26 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Waiting on an invite.  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #27 - Today at 8:44am
Print Post  
I trapped possums in the 80’s every weekend I could, and loved it so much it’s been on my bucket list to do full time ever since.
Get on you tube and look up a couple of channels. Keeping it wild and Bryan Ritchie.
Also Paul Micheals has a good podcast with Shay Williamson (from keeping it wild).
DONT commit to a block until you’ve walked in there and spent a few nights scoping it out.
If you want to make money you’ll probably need a half decent block and 100+ traps.
Make sure you can get round your block in any weather.
Use a mountain radio.
Use a chopper to get your stuff in. You’ll live a lot more comfortably.
Talk to the pilot about getting your stuff back out later, he should be able to give you a good deal if he’s already passing your camp.
Be prepared to run your trap line where the possums are. The ridges may not always be the best spot.
Put your traps on the runs and the feed or play trees, not 50m spaceings.
Take plenty of flour, you can make bread and scones and pancakes with it.
Put you dry fur in those sealable buckets from mitre 10.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards