Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wannabe Possum Trapper (Read 2081 times)
Tin Dish
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Wannabe Possum Trapper
Apr 10th, 2019 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and i'm looking to do some possum trapping this winter. Hoping someone can help me out with a couple of questons....

1- What would be a good GPS unit to help me initially keep track of my traps without spendng to much money?

2- If down the track i want to upgrade to a more expensive unit can you get one's that will give you up to date weather forecasts?

3- If i'm working a 50 trap line over a 7 day period. Roughly how many kgs of lure could I expect to go through?

Cheers

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Wannabe Possum Trapper
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 9:34am
Print Post  
if youre comfortable finding your way in the bush flag tape above your trap will be enough to find your line but if youre in popular doc land then some mongrel will follow it and take your traps so gps only on doc land imo.

as long as gps works in the bush it will do I just use my piggin alpha 100 its average but does the job but any half decent garmin will do.

everyone has a differing opinion on lure but usage depends on how far you gotta lug it in, if im trapping  off a quad bike then shiteloads as flour is cheap ill put heaps on bout half cup per trap but carrying it ill make a big milk bottle last 60 traps, scented oil works too but the white blaze makes a big difference and so does prefeeding an area the week before you trap or poison as you can almost double the kill in 1st couple of nights.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
As far as im aware the only unit that will give you uptodate weather forcasts is the Garmin inreach, because it has satallite connectivity.

You would need a minimal sat account to go with it priced at around $30 a month.

Its not the biggest screen in the Garmin range but still offers such a lot of plus points such as messaging, which is invaluable if you have family or business at home who need regualar updates on what your up to.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Tin Dish
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info guys.
I think i'll take 11kgs of lure in with me on this first trip and see how i go. It's lookimg like it's going to be a fairly heavy pack at this stage and with a potential 20km hike it should be interesting.
I agree that when you've got family and kids at home having the ability to communicate and get up to date weather forecasts is pretty important.

Does 50m spacings for a trapline seem like a reasonable distance to you guys?
How man kgs of fur do you think you could squash into a standard black rubbish sack?

Cheers

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 7:15am
Print Post  
50m spacings if you want to keep your same line for a while,  further apart takes longer to catch them all and when a trap dosent catch 2 or 3 nights move it halfway to the next (unless alot arent catching then move the line)  if you only have a short time available like less then a week then 25m spacings.

a 20km hike with camp traps food etc is guna have you f**ked before your 1st possum caught. helicopter and quad bikes are your friend.

I use big onion sacks for fur they usually hold 5-6kg or tho youve gotta pluck into something else then cram it in later.  can then squash 2 full bags into my pack to carry out.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 9:54am
Print Post  
Are you doing possum control or trying to make money from fur ?

Bush or bush edge ?

IP Logged

Tin Dish
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Doing it for the fur. At this stage I'm going to look to work the ridges in the bush.

Wanting to get some good numbers so I'm committed to getting well off the beaten track. Chopper would be awesome for getting remote... but cost could be an issue. Anyone have a ballpark figure on a 20 to 30 minute chopper ride?

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
600 to 2k per hour depending on type of machine.  it sounds like alot but if you spend 3 days carrying traps and camp in then the same or longer to carry it out thats alot of time you couldve spent trapping and would easily pay for itself.  I dont know your situation but time is money but if you cant afford upfront cost you may have to carry in and could fly out if you do well.

also have you looked for private blocks or asked fur buyer as sometimes they have blocks theyll lease out for a %.   best block we done last winter had a road through the middle so dont think you have to always go way back as alot of area is overlooked or halfarsed by weekend warriors.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Good luck with your new business venture. You got a couple of good blokes giving you advice.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
You mention family - do you have a SPOT or PLB?

SPOT is great, you can send a regular I'm OK message or a "Im going to be late" as long as you have a clear satellite shot.

IP Logged

Tin Dish
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the great feedback guys.

I don't have a PLB at this stage but it's something i'm seriously looking into cause you just never know. Have spent plenty of time in the mountains etc chasing gold so fairly confident in isolated spots on my own. Although having to navigate dense bush will be new to me as i'm used to navigating via rivers.

I had an idea of where i might like to go but it's an awful long hike in with gear. Made contact with a guy from Doc in Te Anau about a permit and it seems as though i'll be able to get it all sorted online. But I'm starting to wonder if i shouldn't just take the time to go and see him personaly and pick his brains about possible locations.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 7:49am
Print Post  
do you live down south or travel here to trap? a 20km walk must have you somewhere in southern fiordland if so alot of unsutable ground there and about to be 1080,  theres farkloads of good places to possum with minimal walk from road.  te anau area gets slammed by locals - alot of possumers for the amount of land there means lower numbers but very good skins so you prob want to skin not pluck to maximise return.

where are you based? Pm me if you want and I can point you in the right direction.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
But I'm starting to wonder if i shouldn't just take the time to go and see him personaly and pick his brains about possible locations.

Firstly it should be said that there is nothing like well meant, honest, local knowlege as offered by GH. This is the best of the Kiwi spirit on display.

It would also be of benefit  to visit  the Doc guy and have a conversation with him. If you are honest  about your experience, or lack of,,  and intentions, it will bring out the best and your sure to pick up some usefull info.    Smiley

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
DOC may equal kiwi or weka in the area, which probably means elevated sets.. my experience elevated sets means poor catch rates, sprung empties.. Go find somewhere else.

GH is right pluck the males and smaller animals and skin the big females.

50 traps at 50m is a line of only 2.5km.. How long will it take to walk around your line . Not long my guess.. I would be buying more traps and spreading them further apart, unless you have a very high population in the area.  Your trap density is imo to high a density. You will clean an area out quickly, which means some of your traps will be trying to catch a possum that maybe isnt there ? Low density of traps in a high density possum area you will get high catch rates per trap per night.. that is the thing that makes money, "possums in traps".. high density traps in a low possum density area means empty traps and that means low catch rate and that dont make money.
Maybe something to think about ?
I roughly worked out 100% catch rate in 50 traps over a 7 day period is just over $2000 . that is 100% catch rate, you wont get that, the best i ever got was from memory 80% but it slides away quickly. If you are only getting 30% catch rate that is $700 for 7 days work, $100 a day and you still have costs to deduct off that.. That shows the importance of high catch rates per trap per night .

IP Logged

fat ninja

Reply #14 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 6:31am
Print Post  
If you get a block close to a road, talk to a pet food supplier as you may be able to sell the carcasses. That will help up your $ rate per possum

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards