Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Democracy (Read 4964 times)
muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Democracy
Apr 5th, 2019 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Democracy ,as well all knew her , died this week in Wellington. Dont ever forget.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IP Logged

pennyless

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Democracy
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Cry Cry Un fortunately we have just been given a lesson in what happens when a tragedy & well meaning people are used to advance an ideological belief.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Knew her well. RIP old girl Embarrassed

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2019 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Just think. We got to where we are a few weeks back after 20 years of informed discussion. All that went out the door. Now the emotional ''high'', or low.. has subsided we are thinking democracy deserved better.

We are all probably poorer for its passing...  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 8:50am
Print Post  
I suspect though if you had a referendum most people would support the move as most voters now live in cities and have little contact with the outdoors and firearms. And that would be democracy.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Backcountry Bob wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 8:50am:
And that would be democracy.

Incorrect. As a parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarch we have literally buildings stuffed with layer upon layer of Acts, Legislation,Amendments, case law, rules, regulations ad infinitum as to how our elected representatives shall act. That's democracy. Otherwise, if you follow purely popularist democracy (as we appear to be doing right now) we would have banned gangs long ago. But we haven't. Cause you can't. You have to follow the rules. (or so I was taught Undecided)

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
True democracy died out a long time ago,  now the facade weve called democracy for a while now crumbled to the ground.

this has set a precedent for the current and future govt about what you can get away with.

And this is also in memory of common sense which died a while before democracy did.

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Incorrect. As a parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarch we have literally buildings stuffed with layer upon layer of Acts, Legislation,Amendments, case law, rules, regulations ad infinitum as to how our elected representatives shall act. That's democracy. Otherwise, if you follow purely popularist democracy (as we appear to be doing right now) we would have banned gangs long ago. But we haven't. Cause you can't. You have to follow the rules. (or so I was taught

Binding referendums are a form of populist democracy. The choice of MMP is an NZ example. The Brexit vote is another

IP Logged

pennyless

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
We're stuffed. RIP

IP Logged

Gazcan

Yeah, nah....

Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Chin up, cup-cakes. In many parts of Africa no-one has even heard of the word "Democracy". It just doesn't exist.

The only problem with being perfect is that everyone else's imperfections really piss me off....

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Backcountry Bob wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 4:44pm:
Quote:
Incorrect. As a parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarch we have literally buildings stuffed with layer upon layer of Acts, Legislation,Amendments, case law, rules, regulations ad infinitum as to how our elected representatives shall act. That's democracy. Otherwise, if you follow purely popularist democracy (as we appear to be doing right now) we would have banned gangs long ago. But we haven't. Cause you can't. You have to follow the rules. (or so I was taught

Binding referendums are a form of populist democracy. The choice of MMP is an NZ example. The Brexit vote is another

and our upcoming stoner referendum.

the govt is law change to make thousands of legal law abiding citizens criminals over night then confiscate and prosecute and then next year the want a referendum to stop confiscation and prosecution of thousands of people undertaking illegal activities and make them legit  Huh     backwards govt their only successes will be made from cashing in on terrorism and drug trade

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
What I find quite most concerning regarding our democratic processes is the point that has only come to light (to me) during the submission process. People from overseas appear to be able to put in submissions and skew data concerning NZ Acts of Parliament!!!! Surely that's akin to foreign interference into another State's affairs Angry Angry Angry So if the Green Party get on the Email list of their fellow Green komrades around the world and tell them to put in pro forma submissions supporting the bill, the finds will so 60% support for the bill
But dig a bit deeper and you'll see most all the submissions around 4kb in size were proforma submissions supporting the bill, and contained Zero personal information other than name, whereas most all submissions of a much greater kb size contained (mostly) well worded submissions on how them and their family would be affected by the rushed passing of this bill.
Smells big time.
I would have expected a minimum of proof of citizenship/residency to be able to have ANY say so on domestic politics. Experts, well they should have been identified formally as experts.  Just saying.

IP Logged

trg42

Bring on Spring!!!

Reply #12 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
yes, I pretty much point this out in my submission. Also stated that there was every chance that no firearms licence owner would ever vote labour ever again. But, I suppose with all the 'feel good' factor that Taxinder has baffled these non firearms licence people into she probably doesn't care

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Also stated that there was every chance that no firearms licence owner would ever vote labour ever again.

I suspect the new law only affects a small percentage of firearms owners

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
All the other restrictions that will come into force later this year,will though....they will affect every single license holder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards