Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Does my firearm fit correctly part ten (Read 115 times)
50BMG
Donor Member

12.7 x 114 - Yep I can
reach that....

Does my firearm fit correctly part ten
Apr 3rd, 2019 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
The goal with cast is to create the correct offset of the butt so that neck length, shoulder width and occipital bone position/prominence are accommodated on the comb in such a way that the neck, face, eye and shoulder muscles are completely relaxed when the eye is correctly aligned with the sight and as close as possible to the maximum distance the eye relief of the sight allows. Cast also guides the direction of the stock and therefore comb under recoil.

The height and angle of the comb should form a perfect alignment with the occipital bones so as to provide natural and comfortable support without any pressure spots. If correctly aligned, the comb will naturally move away from the occipital bone (away from) under recoil without causing any impact to the bone. Please note the cheek tissue immediately under/adjacent the occipital bone should rest on the comb, not the bone itself.

Once this is achieved, the perception is often of almost no recoil despite a hefty thump to the shoulder from a large calibre rifle. Perhaps more importantly, the sensitive tissues around the eye and the myriad nerves of the face are not impacted. This allows the sight picture to be maintained throughout the firing sequence, fall of shot to be observed (with practice, the trace of the projectile through the air can be routinely observed) and any follow-up shot to be taken extremely quickly as required.

A further advantage of getting this fit right is that there are very few times when you cannot use binocular vision (keep both eyes open) while shooting allowing the brain to process the sight picture in a more natural, relaxed manner. This leads to faster and more precise sight picture and more accurate observation of the fall of shot. It also allows for a much wider and more effective view of the target and the area around and behind it.

I recommend using a layer of Sorbothane one the comb to provide a non-slip but effective cushion for the cheek to rest on.  Layers of Sorbothane can be used to fine tune the final height of the comb. I would suggest 60 Durometer for base layers and 40 for the final layer.

"The brave few are Freedoms rampart for the many"  "Otherwise protect your freedoms or you will surely lose them"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards