Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic if you can only take one.. rangefinder, binoculars, GPS or PLB (Read 1417 times)
SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: if you can only take one.. rangefinder, binoculars, GPS or PLB
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Oscar wrote on Apr 4th, 2019 at 2:23pm:
poodle wrote on Apr 4th, 2019 at 11:02am:
yeah I tend to be a bit cautious. I am not planning too many overnighters either. I am mainly ok for clothing, apart from a good weatherproof jacket. My swanni might have to do for now.

Maybe get a good rain jacket before any of the other stuff? Army surplus is one option too.

Swanni's don't keep the wind out, at least not the old wool one I had didn't. In fact, that thing attracted wind and if you was in any way wet you froze your tits off.
And that's like putting food in a wet burlap sack to keep it from spoiling - will suck all the heat out of you and if you stay like that there wont be any 'nek minit' for you.

I've had two modern (ish) rain jackets and they both leaked despite being expensive - sweated in them too. Both were as bulky as my oilskin and didn't do a better job -  so I chucked them.
Oilskin is bloody noisy stalking though - quite a big downside to them.

I'd rate windproof over rainproof any day of the week - warm and wet is a whole bunch better than cold and wet.

I watch the Duley hunting show on TV and have always intended to look up what jackets they wear - they look worthwhile and maybe one day I will look them up.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #16 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Depends how you hunt a bit.  If you hunt alone then defiantly a plb, if your mate has one then don't need 2.
Use your phone instead of a gps, my garmin sits at home.
Binos are far more useful then a rangefinder imo

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
I know this conversation is finished - so I'll talk to myself.

While I like a compass, it doesn't tell you where you are - but it will show which way to get out.
The GPS has the advantage in it will tell you how far you've gone, and also where camp is.
If you get the one you can download a topo map on - then it will show you where you are and how to get to places you didn't even know were there.

A phone will probably do that and in some ways it could be a better option in that you can call someone if you're late or in trouble. Could take a photo with it too.
Dunno - never owned one, but my son has one and it seems a pretty amazing piece of kit, I don't know the half it can do.

I hunt 'caldera' country which has a lot of vertical 'ups and downs' and the GPS helps you find the 'inbetween' places where you can get up and down.
Because of the difficulty with that country, and because I get buggered easy now - I hunt with a 'daypack' with lightweight bag, fly and pad and that allows me to bed down where I find myself.
I don't cook out there, not for 3 or 4 days - just take sardines, 'porridge cakes' and some 'chews' (dried fruit, jerky etc). I also got to take water because I've never found running water in that country and I got sick as a dog drinking 'seep' water.
All up, those three items weigh about 4 1/2lb with paracord and pegs and are not particularly bulky - but they did cost me an awful lot of money.
Throw your food in there, a 'puffer' which scrunches down to nothing, a parka, med kit, knife and a few other bits 'n pieces and you've got about 15 lb on your back (including pack weight).
Water is extra and is the limiting factor in how long you can stay out there.

My son loves the GPS, but last time out the batteries ran dry and we got home with my compass - which is bullshit as we could see home way off in the distance when we sat at the top of a slip.

I don't even know if I'll post this - will I (?) - wont I (?) ....... ahh stuff it ........done.

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #18 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
With the extra info - as in setting yourself up for first time, it depends on where you intend hunting, and what your outdoor skill level is.

Myself, I mostly only do overnighters or based in huts and tops hunting.

If your not taking risks, and just doing day hunts as you get your experience up...

Binos then PLB

Always carry a map & compass - DOC have good maps in their mappping system if you can figure it out.

I still dont have a Rangefinder or GPS... well I usually still have my phone but if it works thats great - but never rely on it.

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #19 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Binos every time. All the others can be sorted.
A map and compass, get close enough so range doesn't matter, and the good old fashioned common sense of telling people where you are going and for how long, sticking to your plans and having basic survival equipment like warm clothes, rain wear, some food and maybe a simple shelter.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #20 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 9:26am
Print Post  
binos and a compass.......back before I got a GPS or even now in new area....take a rough bearing in direction I intend to hunt and spin outer dial 180 degrees to give me a rough bearing home....if you have a "backstop feature" eg a track/road/river to head back towards you have 90% of the battle won......when you hit it you only have to decide which direction along it you need to head,if during the day you headed off at right angles from origonal bearing this is simple....eg leave car heading west....hunt westwards then turn south for an hour or so.....start to head back...need to go east with a little north and when you hit backstop you should only need a little north along it to get to car....
the block I normally hunt is face of mountain...ALL the creeks funnel out past my car......a place like that makes navigation childsplay.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 10:41am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 8:01pm:
Went hunting some years back with a bloke who took a big spool of monofilament, about 1000 yards of it. Tied one end of it to a tree beside the track and fed it out as he hunted until he got to the end of it - then turned around and followed it back.
And - I didn't make that up either.

I had a mate who used red sheep raddle to mark the trees as he walked , the trouble was he marked the face he saw on the way out and not on the way back , and got temporarily lost. Roll Eyes

I carry a map and compass  , the Army taught me how to use them . I used to carry a small orange smoke boat flare , now it would be Binoculars with a built in rangefinder , and a watch with a built in PLB and GPS, if I could afford them .
If it came down to pick one it would be the PLB , I can look through my scope but I'd rather not .

On hut trips I hire a Mountain Safety Radio and a plb .

I always take my binos and range finder waterfowl shooting .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #22 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
the best and most useful item you would do very well to get a hold of is not a thing but a person,  'someone to teach you the basics' and as others have said, those items you listed arent actually essential. and in other words by not having some, all, or any of those items you can still go out hunting and do very well. i hope you didnt blow your budget on an expensive rifle and scope , used gear is great for a beginner and your better to spend more on a sleeping bag and boots and rain wear that will keep you alive and comfortable,

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #23 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
no. my rifle is an old Baikal single shot with a Nikon stirling someone gave to me. It didn't break the bank at all. A good pair of boots are probably more expensive (not that I can ever get them in my size anyway). Yeah, I am busy trying to recruit experienced people to go hunting with. I can get a shitload of inexperienced people who want to go hunting. I might even have to talk to the nzda.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #24 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
boots...go to farmlands etc and get pair of skellerup ashleys lace ups...some where around $140ish.... will do 95% of what you likely to do ...not the best when its stinking hot day or you up in shingle or snow..... perfect for bush stalking or mooching around river flats/farmland...heck Ive shot more than one deer wearing normal gummies....

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 10:34am
Print Post  
In Otago it would prob b binos

IP Logged

hunter08

Reply #26 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 8:38am
Print Post  
If you want a water / wind prof jacket get the stoney creek stowit for round $140 ever now & again I give any other spray with water beeding stuff & its Ben grate for the price if I was starting out I'd happily use the ashleys Iv hat the steal capped ones for work & they have a stiver sole on them & I found them better for hunting keep any eye on tradme

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #27 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
4 of us went for a wander on ANZAC day...to stretch the legs (sure did that) watch the sun come up (cloudy but it got light) take a moment to remember the fallen (did this as it got light while we struggled up hill) and to introduce a couple of fellas to shooting wallabies(sucess there too) the binoculars I took got a good work out.....
didnt have or need a rangefinder as Ive been there often enough to know when its too far to shoot
3 gps units came for trip and I had a tootoo with one to see altitude and look how good map was...didnt need it
three pbls also made the trip......diidnt know others bringing one so we tripled up
didnt need them either as in full cellphone coverage area and between us we had FIVE yes thats 5 cellphones Huh Huh

so in reality the binos win hands down.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #28 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
No one has yet mentioned the Garmin Inreach. You'll have to check but aren't they a GPS, PLB weather forecasts and messaging servie in one device?

https://explore.garmin.com/en-NZ/inreach/

Pretty expensive though.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Gibson

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #29 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
If forced to choose for back country public land trips.

Hunting with a mate, probably GPS.

Hunting solo, probably PLB.

Fortunately, I carry all four of these items Cool

You can get away without a range finder to a certain extend if you know your rifle well. Bino's are tricky, but won't stop you from bush stalking, GPS can to some extent be substituted (in a very limited fashion) with your cell, PLB dare I be a little reckless (but honest) can be covered if your hunting with a mate (both of you experienced and well equip).

Cool topic. In Economics, this problem raises a common economic issue referred to as the opportunity cost (i.e. the next best alternative forgone)  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards