Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Does my firearm fit correctly part nine (Read 136 times)
50BMG
Donor Member

12.7 x 114 - Yep I can
reach that....

Does my firearm fit correctly part nine
Mar 31st, 2019 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Cast, Comb and sight position.

So what is Cast? Cast is the angling of the stock away from the centreline/bore axis to allow correct head/eye alignment with the sights when the firearm is held/mounted in the sighted position. Cast on is moving the butt away from the firer, bringing the centreline of the firearm "on" to the firer and Cast off is moving the butt towards the firer, moving the firearm "off". Traditional shotgun builders have made a science of this but generally, rifle building is only just coming to grips with the concept. The set of matched Holland and Holland double rifles and shotguns I inherited from my Grandfather are all adjusted identically and as a result, when I use them in the correct two eyes open look and shoot manner I am identically off target with each and every one. However, I can print 1.25 MOA groups all day long with the .570 NE at 150metres. The shotgun patterns .410, 16g, 20g and 12g are invariable directly overlaid. This consistency is reliable regardless of how fatigued I become and no matter how often I swap between firearms.

It is the consistency above that is the point of getting the fit right. Cast plays a huge part. It allows a truly ergonomic, natural alignment of the eyes to the sights while the other body parts are naturally accommodated. You are controlling the firearm in an ergonomically desirable and completely relaxed manner, maintaining the correct sight picture without any conscious effort, regardless of external stressors and fatigue etc.

Determining and setting cast is a partly witchcraft and a lot of trial and error. The short cut way to sorting this out, if you do not have a Try Gun, is to visit a firearms retailer and simply try one after the other until you find one the fits. When you do take note of the relationship between butt plate position and centreline as well as butt plate height relative to comb and sight heights.

"The brave few are Freedoms rampart for the many"  "Otherwise protect your freedoms or you will surely lose them"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards