Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What's a good eating age for a boar (Read 1395 times)
Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: What's a good eating age for a boar
Reply #15 - Apr 6th, 2019 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
50 quid to a knob of goat shit you learnt off them said same fellas who taught me Bro..... I see ol Bauldy is still getting out and about Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #16 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 8:26am
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Apr 5th, 2019 at 6:15pm:
Micky Duck wrote on Apr 2nd, 2019 at 7:04pm:
yip pine pigs do taste funky..... the Maori fellas I used to hunt with would whip boars nuts out straight away and get rid of the pizzly bits quick smart too.....always followed this advice and reckon it may have merit.

Its a myth,  theyve been there since birth any tainting has been already done and mostly occurs once theyve been working.

+1, but I do cut them straight out anyway...  Cheesy

kaitieke1 wrote on Apr 6th, 2019 at 9:09am:
hey whanau? less than half of the pigs I catch end up as chops and roasts, a lot go to marae to be made into sausages and even mince. when we catch a boar regardless of size and age we always make sure we remove the gland that is in it back passage, im not sure what its called but I know if left in it will realy taint the meat, I don't believe that hanging pork helps in any way with its taste it tenderness so we either singe it or skin it before letting it set in the chiller before cutting up and packing, on all the pigs we eat when we hang them in the chiller we always cut thru to the ball and socket of the hip joint and pop iy open so that its exposed and we also make a cut from the rear of one shoulder up over the to to the other shoulder and leave that exposed while it cools, normaly 24 hours, don't ask me why but it realey dos take aloot of the boary smell out of the meat, bon appatite

I agree with that, 2 days from killing is sufficient time for choping whole carcass up and start piling up the freezer/smoker. Pork is very different to venison as it has a lot of inter muscular fat and that goes off really quickly hence the need to get it cooled down as fast as possible. I don't like to chase pigs in summer, it can go off before you come back home from morning hunt.... Cry

Would say that combination of pigs age, its diet and killing method + handling the meat (!) dictates most of the "taint" in them. If you would chase big old boar with dogs for couple of hours I bet its gonna taste a hell of lot worse then same pig shot in the head. And now you all mighty pig hunters can tell me off for saying that!  Tongue

Shoot, cure, eat, repeat!

IP Logged

Duxbac

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #17 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies, hams, sausages, salami, pickled pork all good.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2019 at 8:05am by Duxbac »  
AIM  
IP Logged

Old School
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #18 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Duxbac wrote on Apr 26th, 2019 at 5:45pm:
Thanks for the replies, mutton hams, sausages, salami, pickled pork all good.

How do you make mutton ham out of pork .. Just curious .. lol

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #19 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
had back steak from a 140lb boar we shot on ANZAC day tonight for tea...a little less than ideal in the tenderness department but sure tasted great...Ive eaten tougher steak for sure...thats what the good lord made steak knives for.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards