Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) T3 .223 Load development (Read 2699 times)
samiam
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

T3 .223 Load development
Mar 29th, 2019 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I am brand new to reloading and would like to learn from some others experience, what worked for you and what did not.

I have a Tikka T3 .223
480mm barrel length or 18 inch, plus a suppressor.
1 in 12 twist (I know I would be better off with a 1 in 8 barrel but at the time I purchased the rifle I was ignorant to twist)

I want to develop a load I  can use on red deer under 100 meters. I have taken a number of hinds shooting 55 gr soft point H&F  branded ammo. But am unsure of using on larger stags. I have trialed 64 gr winchester, powerpoint on paper but the groups were average, at the very best.

I am thinking
round - 55 gr will attempt  a 60 gr (unsure if it will stabilize and what modelI should use as there is alot on the market)
powder - 4208h

what worked for you?????????

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Re: T3 .223 Load development
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Try the Barnes TTSX or TSX in 50gr with a 1:12 twist. Pretty deadly on deer and punching right through with wide exit wounds. Shot a hind yesterday in tight bush on the way out from 20m and as always it amazes me how good they perform. The 4 petals act like rotating knifes crushing and cutting everything in their way plus have a good shockwave when fast that knocks them out. That's why they work best with speed so ideally go light bullet and in your and my case with our .223's don't go much further then 150m to ensure they fully expand and do what they are designed to do.

So far 100% success on red and fallow stags with the TTSX

H335 will be a good powder to start with. Heavier bullets will potentially be unstable in your twist rate.

IP Logged

samiam
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the advice JaSa.

I will use this as my starting point and Try the Barnes TTSX in 50gr  with some H335 Powder.

I think I will load some in 55gr to try, or do you think I will lose to much speed?

IP Logged

JaSa

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I use the 55gr TTSX in my 1:8 twist 15" barrel and get them with 23.6gr of H335 to 2797fps. Maximum load is with a bit more powder but wasn't grouping that good so settled on the mild load and the most accurate jump which is 0.100. They don't fully expand around 200m (2098fps) anymore that is why I don't use them for shots that are +150m.

If I ever develop another short range / bush load I would definitely go to the 50gr.

IP Logged

samiam
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Ok this is all good info. Thanks for taking the time share it.

Load development

-Min H335 23 gr ,Max H335 25 gr.
-50 gr TTSX.
-0.100 Jump.

Do you have any recommendation on primers and Brass?

IP Logged

JaSa

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Brass I still use whatever the Winchester BSTP factory ammo came in from the time I didn't reload. In the future probably will give the Lapua brass a go. Primer is Federal Small Rifle as local gun smith got it available all the time - same for H335 which fit's the 50 and 55gr bullets usually pretty good so it's a win-win.

You might have to play around a bit with the jump. The TTSX usually like a jump of 0.05 but in my .223 I need to load all the projectiles I use (TTSX 55gr bush, Sierra #1455 varmint and long shots and Hornady #2260 for subsonic) further out as she likes it that way. Would probably start in your case with .050 and work my way out from there to fine tune things.

Good luck, let us know where you ended up with your load !

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Load my mates Browning A BOLT using 55gr TSX and 25gr BM2. He flattens stags out to 300m. He used our T3  8 twist with 65gr Sierra to take an 8 pt sika @ 256m 2 weeks ago.Running 24gr BM2 with that load. He shot a red spiker 1 week before that @ 320m under the spine with same gun using the bonnet on the Hilux as a rest. It wobbled and fell over. Different results for different folks.

IP Logged

JaSa

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Speaks for the (T)TSX bullets and should give us all more confidence to push them a bit further.

IP Logged

samiam
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Ok the TSX/TTSX sound like they are achieving good results.

I will post a report on the end result on my load testing, hopefully with a successful field test.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Powders I've used for the .223 have been AR2206H, BM2, CFE223 and a mate uses AR2208

I use AR2206H for my T3 .223 shooting 55 gr Sierras and that kills extremely well on deer (sika & Fallow) aswell as goats but I have started playing with heavier 63 gr Sierras but I don't think they'll work in your twist rifle.

Another load I use is BM2 with 55 gr Hornady PSP and ironically that load shoots to the same point of impact as the Sierras, for some reason the Hornady's didn't like AR2206H

The 55 gr Hornady projectiles are also the same projectile H&F have loaded in their rounds you've been using!

Another powder I tried was CFE223 which I liked for reloading but found it a dirty powder.

While I haven't tried it... a mate swears by AR22008 for his .222 and .223's and he has quite a few of them. Says they fly faster and kills better and I trust his judgement considering the number of animals he's shot but I've got all my loads sorted with other powders.

As for projectiles... I've used 55 gr Sierras on a lot of deer and they've killed really well, even used a couple of Hornady 55 gr Vmax's which were also leathel and turned the chest cavity to mush but I like a good lead tip.

The Hornady 55 gr PSP are a cheap projectile so don't over look them as they've proven to be an excellent choice.

I also got to shoot some 50 gr Targex projectiles in my .222 and while only having shot one deer so far with them, I was impressed with the wound channel. I also use 95 gr Targex in my .243 and again those projectiles have proven to be winners and it's great using them as their kiwi made!

As for the Barnes... good luck with those as I couldn't get them to shoot well enough they are a pricey projectile and I couldn't justify using them as I had so many other projectiles which did the deed for far less price!

Hot barrels

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 6:07am
Print Post  
I couldn't get the 55 TTSX to shoot until I tried 2208 and then I was away. 3180 from a 20" barrel and little groups.

Killing wise I have found them a step up from cup & core projectiles of the same weight.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

JaSa

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
seventenths wrote on Apr 1st, 2019 at 12:13am:
While I haven't tried it... a mate swears by AR22008 for his .222 and .223's and he has quite a few of them. Says they fly faster and kills better and I trust his judgement considering the number of animals he's shot but I've got all my loads sorted with other powders.

Should probably read AR2208  Wink

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #12 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Seventenths and I set up my loads using ADI2206H 25.5gr with 55gr Sierra Blitzkings or 55gr Nosler BTs and its good medicine on Fallow and Sika through my Baikal.
Its also about placement and putting the pill in the right spot with smaller Calibres.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 12:35am
Print Post  
JaSa wrote on Apr 1st, 2019 at 7:39pm:
seventenths wrote on Apr 1st, 2019 at 12:13am:

Should probably read AR2208 Wink

Probably the James Bond movie I was watching & got carried away with the 0

Radar uses 25.5 grains however Im using 26 grains of AR2206H & for BM2 Im using 25 grains for 55 gr projectiles

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
and my "go to" load for years has been 24.5grns 2206  Grin Grin Grin then after talking to said Radar I upped it to 25 behing the 50grn ttsx loads and it surely seems to work fine n dandy... they kill well beyond what they should..... probably sick of me saying it but will do so AGAIN at sub hundy yards the wound channel is SIMILAR to a 130 grn .270 but in reverse...with big gun you get small amount of damage on near side,pulped/holed lungs and a wrecked off shoulder with large exit hole
with wee gun you get major damage to near shoulder,lungs holed/pulped and smaller offside hole with exit star shaped hole.

140ish lb boar shot a month or so ago just rolled over with wee 50 grainer tucked in behind his elbow,rooted his insides and projectile recovered in broken offside leg.
big red hind 40ish yards,chest shot,bangflop.
Ive got other loads to use n try but if bigger stuff is seen the wicked blue tips get the nod...its upped my confidence in the wee gun and at end of day thats half the battle won.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards