Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Two Man Tent. (Read 3349 times)
Southern-Fish
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Two Man Tent.
Mar 21st, 2019 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Iím after a new two man tent for hunting thatís capable of being above the bush line. Been looking at Macpac as I have a wee solo light already. Minaret looks to small, Olympus looks good but heavy, Duolight is only two season? Has anyone had anything to do with the Bushbuck copy of the msr? Looks like you still need a footprint which is extra weight to take into consideration? Iíd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Cheers

IP Logged

A J Productions
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Two Man Tent.
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Most of the MSR range are rated only 3 season not 4. They do have a couple of 4 season models but they are up around the $1500 mark. Have you thought of possibly looking at the Tatonka range. They make a good range of 2 or 3 person tents. There Expert series which are 4 season are lightweight with plenty of room. The Red Stag Timber hunters club guys use the Tatonka Orbit 3 tent. What sort of coin are you looking at spending? I too have been looking into tents over the last three weeks for the South Island tops hunting during winter. Have been looking at many brands but the type of tent I am looking for is a 4 season tent with the extra room on the front where you can store packs etc if the weather is crap. If you have a reasonable amount of money to spend maybe consider a Hilleberg brand. Suppose to be the best on the market however the tent I just purchased today after heaps of research is a Danish brand called Nordisk. Best of luck.

IP Logged

kaitieke1

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
I just brought an msr mutha huba 3 person tent, 1.8 kg. only thing Is the floor but I also brought the foot print and I reckon if I carry the tent my mate can carry the foot print, honestly do your research and buy the tent you want to buy, there will always be someone who will have a bad thing to say about the one you just brought? im rapt with my msr? light as and easy to put up. buy it and try it . good luck with your purchase witch ever way you go?

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
The MSR Access 1,2,or 3 are all rated 4 season
bought an Access 2 recently, after my lightweight Terra Nova never handled the wind

Just spent 2 weeks at 1500 meters on the main divide. Atrocious rain and massive gales, sent handled it well. same place as the Terra Nove got smashed
2 person is only suitable for one person, if going to be used for extended periods of time. weight it just under 2 kgs, dunno what weight to MSR Access 3 is, but should be good as the Access 2, in handling weather

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
2 weeks up there in this weather! That must have been cathartic Cool

IP Logged

Southern-Fish
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Thanks for the information and ideas.
I was hoping to get something decent for under $1000.00.
What Nordisk did you go for AJ? Theyíre pretty good looking tents also.

IP Logged

A J Productions
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Southern-Fish wrote on Mar 22nd, 2019 at 12:41am:
Thanks for the information and ideas.
I was hoping to get something decent for under $1000.00.
What Nordisk did you go for AJ? Theyíre pretty good looking tents also.

Hi Southern-Fish, I just bought the Nordisk Oppland 3 SI and Footprint. It is a larger 3 person tent. Main use will be fly in trips. They do make a lighter version and a heavier version of this tent. Nordisk make plenty of smaller 2 person tents. I didn't purchase it here in New Zealand as no one has them but after contacting Nordisk - Denmark direct they gave me some contacts in the UK.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
You are right about the minaret. It's great for me and my 12 year old son but wouldn't be suitable for two men with hunting gear. The Olympus is probably a good option and if you can split weight it wouldn't be overly heavy. The minaret is a great size for one but a bit heavy to carry.

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Southern-Fish
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Thanks for the help everyone.
I have bought a Tantonka Kiruna 2. Cheers AJ.
It is similar in design to the Minaret but about the same size as the Olympus bonus is only weighs 2.3kg. Good couple of reviews online one by the Huters Club both very positive. You can also use it fly/bivy style and then youíre down to 1.4kg.
Found one on sale for $655 so Iím hoping Iím onto a winner!

IP Logged

Tommo mk2

Je Suis Prest

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 8:51am
Print Post  
There could be some interesting tent reviews from guys returning from the first ballot period in Wapiti country! Looking at how much rain has fallen, they may have got to know their tents very well.

IP Logged

A J Productions
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Southern-Fish wrote on Mar 27th, 2019 at 1:18am:
Thanks for the help everyone.
I have bought a Tantonka Kiruna 2. Cheers AJ.
It is similar in design to the Minaret but about the same size as the Olympus bonus is only weighs 2.3kg. Good couple of reviews online one by the Huters Club both very positive. You can also use it fly/bivy style and then youíre down to 1.4kg.
Found one on sale for $655 so Iím hoping Iím onto a winner!

Glad you found a tent Southern-Fish. Can you let us know after using it what you think? The Nordisk tent that i just bought is large and to big to pack in but good size for fly-in trips. So possibly looking at a lighter tent such as the Tatonka Orbit 3 which is made of the same material as the Kiruna 2. Cheers Allan

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
reading some reviews that tantonka looks good, might look at getting myself one for this winter. Don't think the stoney creek fly will cut it down south  Grin

IP Logged

scoped
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Be wary of tatonka, its advertised well and spoaken highly of. but as ive found its not all it cracks up to be

Anticipation is half the fun!

IP Logged

Tommo mk2

Je Suis Prest

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Be wary of tatonka, its advertised well and spoaken highly of. but as ive found its not all it cracks up to be

Perhaps you could elaborate?

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
scoped wrote on Mar 28th, 2019 at 10:40am:

Yeah could you elaborate more? watched the youtube video and looked very well designed?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards