Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kauritatahi <---> Puketutu Hut Link-up via Old N/S Tracks (Read 420 times)
harlansmart
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Kauritatahi <---> Puketutu Hut Link-up via Old N/S Tracks
Mar 20th, 2019 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Hey all,

We recently visited Kauritatahi Hut (via Thompsons) & Puketutu Hut (in via the Waiwere Falls (Animal Grave etc) & then out via a somewhat tricky to follow Maurihoro Stream Farm Track/Route). Has anyone walked recently along the top and following the 'Old North South' track between these 2 huts, Puketutu & Kauritatahi?

We went a wee way up the track, north towards Kauritatahi from Puketutu, it looks a bit overgrown, so just wondering if anyone had done it recently & if they could provide any beta (tips, time taken or even a GPS Track etc)?

PS: Was unsure if this was the best sub-forum to post this in, mod's feel free to move it as appropriate.

IP Logged

Thousandhills
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Kauritatahi <---> Puketutu Hut Link-up via Old N/S Tracks
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
This guy put a YouTube video together on that general area. But not sure if it's exactly what you are asking.
https://youtu.be/wbLrwOdMPA4

IP Logged

harlansmart
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Cheers for that Thousandhills, cool wee vid too but yeah nah we're familiar with all that lot, SH29 ---> Huriniu Hut ---> Maungamuka Hut ---> Ngamuwahine Clearing / Construction Site ---> Old Waiwere Falls Hut Campsite ---> Animal Grave Turnoff ---> Puketutu Hut.

What we want to know is the state of the (Old North South) track along the top of the range, that runs North from Puketutu Hut ---> Kauritatahi Hut Smiley

Thousandhills wrote on Mar 21st, 2019 at 9:08pm:
This guy put a YouTube video together on that general area. But not sure if it's exactly what you are asking.
https://youtu.be/wbLrwOdMPA4

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Are you talking about the track that goes past kauritatahi hut that follows the main ridge(te hanga)? When I went up there I found an old overgrown track. I'm sure I read on here there's a hut up there, is that the one?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards