Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic spotting scope or high powered camera for trophy evalutation (Read 769 times)
rooshoot
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

spotting scope or high powered camera for trophy evalutation
Mar 9th, 2019 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,  Just wondering whether anyone on here has had success using a camera with big zoom instead of using a spotting scope for trophy evalutation.  A spotter seems like a big and heavy chunk of kit to lug around the hill.  I've been weighing up a spotter for some time now but im a bit of a minimalist at heart and I figure if I can use a camera instead then I'm killing two birds with one stone as I tend to have a camera anyway.  Have found my camera does work to some extent but wondering whether upgrading could be the go.

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Re: spotting scope or high powered camera for trophy evalutation
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Yeah my camera was good, could see how good the stag was 1km away at least.

IP Logged

Ronny

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
rooshoot wrote on Mar 9th, 2019 at 7:12pm:
Hey guys,  Just wondering whether anyone on here has had success using a camera with big zoom instead of using a spotting scope for trophy evalutation.  A spotter seems like a big and heavy chunk of kit to lug around the hill.  I've been weighing up a spotter for some time now but im a bit of a minimalist at heart and I figure if I can use a camera instead then I'm killing two birds with one stone as I tend to have a camera anyway.  Have found my camera does work to some extent but wondering whether upgrading could be the go.

I use a Canon SX60 which has an optical zoom of 60x plus digital zoom out to 260x. To use it as a spotter you really need a tripod, but if you've already spotted an animal with your binos this camera is fantastic for trophy evaluation. I rarely use a spotting scope anymore.

IP Logged

scotty162

wandering the ureweras
since 1992

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I use both but prefer my spotting scope with the phone scope attachment so i can take photos through the scope it also gives you a bigger screen too look at

IP Logged

rooshoot
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
cheers guys!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards