Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic online lessons (Read 1435 times)
awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

online lessons
Feb 26th, 2019 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
anyone else used ''tom clum solid archery mechanics''for online archery lessons, i paid for his tuition series after finding a few of his clips on youtube. it cost $200us so not cheap but i found his technical info very informative, and giving advice on the entire shot process and the way his lessons have been structured demonstrates there has been a whole lot of work by a team of coaches gone into developing the lessons. it has taken a whole lot of practice but its all coming together, i have the confidence with my shot sequence to be able to put my arrow where i want, or very close to it. and in a way that eliminates target panic, or so ive been instructed, other than small game im yet to draw on big game, although on an xmas hunt i was partly drawn on a couple of spikers at close range.  im mostly using a recurve but have a long bow and compound and the lessons are relevant for all 3 styles, and including all the styles of aiming, instinctive, string walking, gap shooting and sights, i have watched plenty of other archery videos online but were always felt they were incomplete lessons, they didnt have the full information i was wanting to learn,  tom doesnt stipulate a complete sequence for every archer to follow but by trying to follow his advice a sequence becomes apparent, before i could never nail down an anchor point, and never knew if my head should be tilted or how far, or where my feet should be pointed, i got quite proficient with how i was shooting before, but since these lessons my confidence has gone way up, im not nailing every shot and still need a lot of practice but i feel now i have a whole lot more knowledge, and know how to practice correctly and what im doing wrong when im off the mark. im not part of any club and dont have friends that bow hunt so my learning has been self taught and online and books and magazines. ill link to toms website for anyone else wanting comprehensive lessons advice and information. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4mh2ebx3_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-hqbTsWfiA&t=57s

http://www.rmsgear.com/service/shootsolid/

IP Logged

willyr1

DGA LONGBOWS ALL THE WAY!

Re: online lessons
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Cheers for the info mate. I've been following "the push" for a while and recently have seen the solid archery mechanics talked about. I'm also self taught longbow and recurve shooter and have struggled with target panic as something that has developed in the past few years. I think I need to go back and relearn a few things and forget some bad habits.
Cheers mate

DGA longbow 59#@28
Grizzlystik Qarbon Nano 2 67#@28

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Re: online lessons
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
i think these lessons are a little different to the usual. "aiming" doesnt occur until after reaching full draw, sure pick a spot but no conscious 'aim' until later in the sequence, and no immediately release but releasing after around 2 seconds holding at full expansion/draw. so hopefully negating any target panic. as target panic might manifest itself as a primature release, so to speak lol before full draw. or releasing wildly. and the theory being if the shot sequence up until full expansion is correct then even a plucked string might still result in an okay shot, and taking 2 seconds before release gives a little time to calm the farm. if nothing else it built confidence for me to know what where and how to get an arrow to go where i want it. in the weekend i had a chance, at a sika deer, i came up a ridge and look upon a very nice little area, an area i knew would have a deer either on it or very by. i waited partly obscured by a pepper wood bush for a full ten minutes, but with nothing in sight and no sound of any approaching deer i took a step forward, busted, bugger, im not sure if the deer was sitting watching me or standing but with my step out from the bush it bolted and never to be seen again, i hind called as it ran but after waiting a further 5 minutes and no indication it was anywhere near that was my only opportunity for the day, i paced it out afterwards and the deer ran from a full 15 paces from where i stood. but i did nail a stag the day before with a rifle so we eating well regardless.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards