Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .243 subsonic (Read 338 times)
Wildgame
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

.243 subsonic
Feb 11th, 2019 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Hey team looking for some advice about getting some .243 subsonic loads made up. Im getting to the end of my Norma factory loads and have been saving up the brass to get some reloads made. My question is can a .243 be made subsonic and still have killing power for deer out to 100m? Ive heard you can have problems will the bullet not stabiliseing and killing power. My .243 is a 1:10 twist barrel which has been shortened right down the the stock which I guess wont help the situation. Through reading other forms Ive heard its possible with a heavy pill and trail boss powder. Any info would me mean as.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Re: .243 subsonic
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I can't answer most of your questions as I have only ever loaded a subsonic load for my 223. But according to some twist rate calculators the max weight is 75gr that your rifle will stabilize at 1020 fps. There is also a commercial subsonic load for a 243 out there that utilities the Sierra 75gr HPFB projectile - so I would probably start with that.
Hodgdon have a load on their website for a 100gr projectile with min of 8gr of Trail Boss. Obviously big difference between a 75gr projectile and 100gr. It hits the target at 50 yards tumbling so not great but on the other hand expected. Might take a chunk out of your silencer so be careful. But if you look HERE you will find the following instructions from IMR on how to come up with your own loads safely:

1.) Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location.  Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh.  This is your maximum load.  Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
2.) Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load.
3.) Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load.  Once found, the fun begins!

No guarantee from my side. If it goes wrong don't complain !

Cheers,
JaSa

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
A lot of people/sources quote 1000 foot pounds of energy as a minimum for deer. A 100 grain projectile at subsonic velocity only has a quarter of that at the muzzle. Well placed head/neck shots will still drop them, but I wouldn't be trying shoulder shots.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Cigar wrote on Feb 11th, 2019 at 11:50pm:
A lot of people/sources quote 1000 foot pounds of energy as a minimum for deer. A 100 grain projectile at subsonic velocity only has a quarter of that at the muzzle. Well placed head/neck shots will still drop them, but I wouldn't be trying shoulder shots.

This is an American idea and when an American talks about deer he means Whitetail , which is easy to kill with relatively light loads, they have different muscle structure and proteins than the red type deer , and yet most States that allow rifles to be used on Whitetail have minimum caliber/energy requirements , as do most European countries .
If you are concerned about increasing energy levels in subsonic loads the best way is to go up in caliber and bullet weight .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - yesterday at 10:11pm
Print Post  
So another way of looking at that is to say that subsonic loads are fine and good when you are close enough and sure enough in your accuracy and shootin ability to place the bullet inside a cup sized area, better smaller, at the top of the neck/right at the base of the ear. That will drop it like a sack of potatoes.

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards