Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stalking in the WARO shadows... (Read 3016 times)
XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Stalking in the WARO shadows...
Reply #15 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Good stuff.
A wee tip, try doing the leg cuts from the animal's body out towards the hooves, not the other way around. The knife slides between the hairs a bit easier that way around.
Also if you are into broths, homekill outfits will often give away bones if you talk nicely to them Cool

IP Logged

bryandc3

Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Good effort thats what its all about!

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Good result, after putting in the effort. Bush hunting is where it's at, wait until you get upclose and personal with a fired up stag in the roar  Wink Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

Hunting - Cultural Immersion
in the Wilderness

Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Pete82 wrote on Feb 10th, 2019 at 11:27am:
Cheers for great feedback guys! Sorry for typos and probably not the best use of language but hey I am just a driftwood here and english is not my native language  Smiley

Yes the carryout was bit too much, I am in my late 30's and knees already starting to complain here and there, doing hard physical job for last 18 years doesn't help... Anyway - this was my first public land deer and I just had to carry whole thing out, I am stubborn bugger and I do respect and cherish the animals I shoot... Not to be repeated again I think, next time I will take time to cut it up in bush and leave ribs/spine/pelvis and most of the skin behind...

Skin is going down to Invercargill for tanning, I already got yearling winter skin which was my first deer so this one will be nice add-on.
Exit hole is visible on right and I am still puzzled by how shooting (almost) broadside animal into sternum resulted in bullet going out mid-way... Shocked

Please do comment on my skinning as this was my second attempt and still not sure if I did good job? Always struggling with cuts along the legs towards the centre of body.

As for the bones - this was such a great looking young animal that I will use all the bones for rich broth. Not recommended to do if its old stag in rut but this animal should render supreme results and stuff chefs will kill for! All the bones get blasted for about 20 minutes in oven on high heat (around 220'C) until they are brown and then slow-boiled in water for over 18 hours. Result is about 8 litres of broth which will then get reduced down to say 600ml of pure, rich deer goodness, later on to be used in sauces, soups or terrines...When chilled this broth is hard gelatine and will keep forever in ice cube forms, when needed just pop one out and use!  Cool

Fantastic
I love your style Pete82, using every part of your kill. Cool Cool

I believe you can use the tendons for cordage or even bow strings as they did, way back in the day. Grin

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #19 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Thank for the tip XRhunter, thats definitely something I would do next time, will probably save me scoring top of the back leg again...  Lips Sealed

Cheers footsore, but no I am not gonna make a bowstrings...  Grin Grin

But I am in the 'nose to tail' club...

So yes it is possible to use EVERY bit of the animal! Well in saying that, I am not going to run down the river to rinse the stags bladder so I can use it for my dry-curing chamber later on, but hey its possible! All intestines can be used for sausage making, that includes stomach and bladder. You can cut up whole head including ears and make curry out of it, I have posted video of goat head curry here somewhere! Lungs, tongue, brain, all perfectly edible and should I make sausage out of it you would have NO idea what you are eating. Some people are eating it in cheap Pak'n'Save sausages anyway and they turn their nose when you mention eating venison liver...  Grin

I bet hardly anyone here ever heard or even tried to use CAUL FAT... Its the fine netting surrounding internal organs, mainly stomach and guts and if carefully removed it can be used in similar way as sausage casing, even in the bush - you cut up liver, heart and kidneys, chuck in few fern shoots or tips of supplejack, wrap it all up, brown on the pan, cook 10 minutes and eat. I was going to report on that later on but this yearling had the fat so fine that it all broke up when I tried to remove it... Sad Older animal and colder guts would be better for it.

In Europe its so hard to come by wild game you guys wouldn't believe it... Easy to pay equivalent of $30 for hare! Venison is so expensive that most people would never buy it and to shoot a deer? Forget it! All gentleman's club hunting. Nothing. Ever! And here? People leave half of the animal in the bush just because they can shoot another one next week... But only because you got heaps of something and its easy to come by you shouldn't be wasting it I think...  Smiley

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #20 - Feb 12th, 2019 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Awesome report! That's a great skin I was going to suggest keeping it

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Good shit mate  Cool

Your skin is fine, better than some of mine and when its on the floor you wont notice any imperfections.

IP Logged

260R
Donor Member

just lookin

Reply #22 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Awesome report A well deserved result.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards