Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Salmon (Read 792 times)
Wildfox
Just Joined

The slayer

Salmon
Jan 30th, 2019 at 8:51am
Print Post  
So i wanna catch my first sea run salmon. I will be fishing river mouths Rakia and the waitaki. I know ultimatly it takes hrs on the river to produce a fish. But are there any tips or advice to help with the chances of catching a fish?
What conditions
What type of lures etc

Thanks!

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Re: Salmon
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
The river is usually at its lowerest on a Sunday because of less power demand.Makes for easier access on the river,find a spot where the whole river flows thru one area.Then find a soft bit of water where salmon can swim up stream on the edge on the main flow.It might take you a day or two to find this spot,but it will be worth it.The salmon have got to swim pass you.
Find this spot and fish it 30 minuts on ,30 minuts rest,pace your self all day,it will be a long day.You should see a salmon or 2.
Once youv seen salmon,you can fish just a couple of hours either side of the time youv seen them.
If the river hasn't flooded,keep going back to the same spot.
Use a 10kg rate 9ft rod,28gram zeddys and 15 kg line.Save you loosing a bit of gear around the willows.A lot of areas of the Waitaki,you can not walk down stream with your fish on line.So full on power and hang on,20 lb fish on the edge of a 400cu/sec flowing river gets your heart pumping.Iv caught many a salmon on the Waitaki years ago.How the river runs your life in those days Grin.
Good luck and tight lines. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards