Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What's the biggest possum you've ever seen? (Read 3595 times)
Vulcan
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

What's the biggest possum you've ever seen?
Jan 12th, 2019 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Did anyone see the the pro 1080 pohutukawa tree people talking about the possum scurge. Apparently a single possum can go through 20000 tonnes of foliage in a single night. Here's the news article, in the video at 40 seconds:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/01/survival-of-native-trees-depe...

...and they were dumb enough to print it!

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Re: What's the biggest possum you've ever seen?
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Ha, ha, ha - I had a neighbour drop off a possum here that went close to 13lb and I reckon that one ate two or three pohutukawa's just to get its appetite up.

As for the rest of the article, I've never heard such a crock of shit in my life - pohutukawa has more to fear from human activity and Myrtle Rust than from browsing animals - just look at kauri dieback.

Thirty years ago I planted thirty/forty pohutukawa as part of 'Operation Crimson' - planted them in places left destitute by human interference around the margins of Lake Tarawera.
When I went back to check on those trees I found many uprooted and just thrown away because campers didn't want a tree or two buggering up their illegally cleared site.

Those same thirty years ago the lake margins were an amazing splash of colour when pohutukawa were in flower and higher up the hill you'd see the dull red splash of northern rata - mature trees at their very best.

Those trees are still there, but for how much longer - who knows ........ some of that land is privately owned and there are plans for future development.

There are many who will park their gigantic arse back in their easy chair and suck up that article because it reaffirms all the other propaganda that is pulsing through their arteries - and that should be no surprise because the average Kiwi IQ has dropped twenty points in the last fifty years due to the national pastime of imbibing the 1080 elixir/stew that our caregivers (Government agencies) drop in our water catchments.

I also have no doubt that is also why alzheimer's/dementia, autism (and half you buggers have got it), cancer (and half you buggers will get it), ugliness and bad breath (ditto) is on such a rampant rise.

My generation should be bottled, our growing years weren't polluted by the filthy 1080 - we grew up healthy, strong and with a full quota of marbles and are capable of seeing right through the marketing bullshit - and I expect my mate EC to support me.

And that article, even without the misprint is a prime example of what your government agencies expect you to believe.

I enjoyed that  Smiley

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
20000 tonnes of green matter per night per possum - farken huge animal, what size gun do I need to shoot a possum capable of that!!!😂

That dear people is how dumb NZ media has become.......

SF - bang on.👍

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
There are many who will park their gigantic arse back in their easy chair and suck up that article because it reaffirms all the other propaganda that is pulsing through their arteries - and that should be no surprise because the average Kiwi IQ has dropped twenty points in the last fifty years due to the national pastime of imbibing the 1080 elixir/stew that our caregivers (Government agencies) drop in our water catchments.

I also have no doubt that is also why alzheimer's/dementia, autism (and half you buggers have got it), cancer (and half you buggers will get it), ugliness and bad breath (ditto) is on such a rampant rise.

Grin Grin coughs. Im never sure whether your serious or not, but always worth a read though if only for the giggles. Its fun to go right over the top when trying to drive home a point and I can appreciate your sentiments if taken with a grain of salt.. the thing is, when putting forward a position on something contentious, its more convincing long term to absolutly stick to facts. Just saying.. I enjoyed reading the post.

As to campers ripping out trees, well maybe campers are not the smartest people.. the best camping grounds Ive stayed in and that have been many, and in some of the hotter regions on the planet, have always been full of trees offering shelter from the midday sun, seclusion, beauty, and a dam fine place to sling up a hammock.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
logging trucks can now carry 44.44444tons??????
of foilage????? last time I checked its hard to fit 20 tons of green grass in a purpose built SILAGE TRUCK...

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
and if we get even cleavererer and ASUME a possum can eat say 250grms of foilage per night that equates to 80 million of them... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 8:49pm:
Grin Grin coughs. Im never sure whether your serious or not, but always worth a read though if only for the giggles. Its fun to go right over the top when trying to drive home a point and I can appreciate your sentiments if taken with a grain of salt.. the thing is, when putting forward a position on something contentious, its more convincing long term to absolutly stick to facts. Just saying.. I enjoyed reading the post.

As to campers ripping out trees, well maybe campers are not the smartest people.. the best camping grounds Ive stayed in and that have been many, and in some of the hotter regions on the planet, have always been full of trees offering shelter from the midday sun, seclusion, beauty, and a dam fine place to sling up a hammock.  Smiley

I always figured you to be smarter than I am and if you can't figure out whether I'm serious (or not) ....... hell, that just leaves me in a whole raft of confusion.

And there's nuthing wrong with 'going over the top' - it gathers peoples attention (read Gareth Morgan, Eugenie Sage, Hansford, shitload of others ......... ) and generates debate.
And serious debate at that - which I've never really quite figured.
Nah mate - you fight Bullshit with bigger Bullshit because that's the only effective way to get in the game.

All my 'Bullshit' is peer reviewed ..........

"What d'yer reckon sweatheart ?"
"Yeah, that's pretty good 'bullshit' you old goat."

So yeah, I stand by my 'bullshit' just as Eugenie, Hansford, Morgan and all those other Bullshitters stand by theirs.
Oh - and toss in that 'Operation Crimson' lady because she got made CEO and had no option other than join the 'Bullshit Brigade'.

Thirty years ago is actually not that hard to remember, the camera had been invented and existing photos prove the lie to her statements, so the question you should really be asking is - "How dumb do they think we are ?"

And the obvious answer - pretty f**king dumb.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 12:20am
Print Post  
LOL newshub have taken the video down and edited the story. Someone must have pointed out what useless editors/fact checking they have (if any).

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 3:24am
Print Post  
No point in letting facts get in the way of a good story.  Cheesy

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 4:25am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jan 13th, 2019 at 3:24am:
No point in letting facts get in the way of a good story.  Cheesy

There will be numerous poor souls ( sheeples ) who would have lost sleep after that media dribble..
And here's  you lot takin the piss and actually having the gall  to say it could be lies. Shocked
What's  becoming of this place?

SF90..you have and always will get my support it's just that I think I'm changing to the Dark side,,lots of 1080 has passed through this old shell.
TH and that other dude BC have really done a job on me over the last year. Their combined bullshit along with the media has I'm afraid changed my way of thinking,,sorry ol friend but I really feel I may be touched and am becoming pro  Cry Cry Kiss

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 7:55am
Print Post  
EC wrote on Jan 13th, 2019 at 4:25am:
There will be numerous poor souls ( sheeples ) who would have lost sleep after that media dribble..
And here's  you lot takin the piss and actually having the gall  to say it could be lies. Shocked
What's  becoming of this place?

SF90..you have and always will get my support it's just that I think I'm changing to the Dark side,,lots of 1080 has passed through this old shell.
TH and that other dude BC have really done a job on me over the last year. Their combined bullshit along with the media has I'm afraid changed my way of thinking,,sorry ol friend but I really feel I may be touched and am becoming pro  Cry Cry Kiss

Another 10 point loss in the average National IQ will see the sheep farming us.
I forecast that happening in the year 2050 when the realisation smacks home that the billions of dollars blown on 'Predator Free NZ" hasn't worked - not if they plan to do it using existing strategy.

As it happens, I wasn't totally taking the piss with my other posts - I felt I made some pertinent points that should have stirred some 'grey matter' - and that's now got me wondering if I ought to go back to school and learn how to write properly as a couple of weeks ago my doctor's new 'desk lady' wondered if I was sufficiently competent to fill out a survey I'd just filled out and returned.

And you 'turning pro' is a positive in that it has shown us that 'bullshit' works, knew I could count on you - take heed HC  Smiley

I like your new 'avatar' - describes your change of heart perfectly.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Sounds like a load of old cobblers to me.  Smiley

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 8:17am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jan 13th, 2019 at 8:05am:
Sounds like a load of old cobblers to me.  Smiley

Ha, ha, ha, my father cobbled all our neighbours boots when I was a kid - some of it obviously rubbed off.

And I know EC hasn't flipped - takes a 'bullshitter' to recognise a kindred soul, or should that be sole (?)  Cool

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jan 12th, 2019 at 9:43pm:
and if we get even cleavererer and ASUME a possum can eat say 250grms of foilage per night that equates to 80 million of them... Roll Eyes

I saw that and meant to comment on it - some thirty/forty years ago the possum population was speculated as being about that number, so just thought it odd that you came up with that.
Be a bit dismal if after all this time, effort and money that is still where they're at.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 12:08am
Print Post  
headcase I don't think a possum that can go through 20000 tonnes of foliage a night is "small game".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards