Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Newbie: Suggestions for first binoculars? (Read 6356 times)
uk_exile
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Newbie: Suggestions for first binoculars?
Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Getting into hunting. In past have done multisport and adventure racing but with another *0 birthday ticking by I'm getting slower so thought it'll be a good way to keep fit. Will be mostly around Canterbury high country (have a bach at Lake Clearwater). Have decided on 7mm Rem Mag, likely T3X, once FAL is completed but what about binoculars? Have been suggested 10x42. Any suggestions on brand and model for high country? Limited budget as I'm needing to buy everything.

Saw these Bushnell Legend L series 10x42  https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/other/listing-1899346908.htm and thought $455 seem liked good deal if they're really RRP$740, but quick search shows they're $419 at RubberMonkey & US$151 on Amazon.

Any suggestions appreciated

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Re: Newbie: Suggestions for first binoculars?
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Scopeuout often have good deals.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

uk_exile
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 12:19am
Print Post  
cheers. Any suggested brand and model? They have a lot!

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 4:51am
Print Post  
What's your budget?
I've used Nikon and Bushnell.
Both good mid level brands.
You can spend from $100 up to $2000.
Don't be afraid to go second  hand either.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Forestry
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 5:27am
Print Post  
If you can stretch to $900 the Swarovski 8x30 on trade me are awersome.  I have the same and they are great.  Quite heavy but optically fantastic and will last a lifetime

For cheaper look at the Minox BF 10x42 second hand for $260.  Good value at that price.

Rod and Rifle did a review a few years ago and some of the cheaper Leupold models came out ok from memory

For me you have two size options 8x30/32 for general and 10x42 for Alpine

Look for phase correction as a difference in roof prison binos for jump into mid/high range binos. 

Quality does make more difference in Binos than scopes in my opinion as you spend more time glassing than shooting

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Good advice to look for better quality used. I bought a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 ten years or more ago and they are superb. It was a stretch financially at the time, but I will never need to replace them and Iím glad I pushed it then. Personally I would rather have good binos and scope on an average rifle than the other way round.

IP Logged

uk_exile
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 12:32am
Print Post  
$900 is too much. Initially I'd thought I could get starter setup (rifle, scope, binos, etc) for $2k but even used it semes like $k is more reasonable.

At moment $900 seems too much for binos. Reluctant to spend big now. Initially I thought $2k for basic gear to start (rifle, scope, binos) but now it's seems like at least double that as being told rangefinder, bipod, etc ..........

IP Logged

Forestry
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 9:48am
Print Post  
You can get a good rifle and scope combo second hand and should have change for binos.  You donít need a bipod etc to start.  Donít give up yet on your $$ challenge.  You will be fit enough to climb hills so any reasonable caliber should get you started.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 10:02am
Print Post  
I have a pair of ex east German Army Hensoldt 8x30 binoculars, they don't look flash but their compact enough, glass is superb... I almost sold them on Trade Me a few years back... reserve was $150 and no one wanted them and in the end I had them for $80 and still no takers so I thought bugger it... I'll hold onto them and haven't regretted doing so.

Remember the old saying... buy once, cry once!

I have a pair of Kahles 10x42 and wouldn't recommend anything under that power for alpine hunting.

The Kahles are a bit heavy but do the job nicely, if i bought again i'd seriously look at a pair of Steiner 10x42's

A friend who is a guide has a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 and they have good glass, lightweight and have been through the battles!

When looking for stuff... look at importing from overseas aswell as it can often be cheaper.

The below are two good websites i've used in the past.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/
https://shop.theopticzone.com/

ďWe do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

COOEEBAY
Donor Member

mates looking after mates

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Worth also looking at the Vortex Diamondback 10x42. it has been a very popular set of binos for around $370. Vortex also offer a lifetime warranty.

Peter Hackett - mates looking after mates.
IP Logged

Rocco
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:16am
Print Post  
I've got a pair of Yosemite 8x. Good for close terrain, but for the longer stuff the 10x would be a better bet. Otherwise can't really fault them. Good quality for a reasonable price.

Never used binos until I had a good yarn with ICEMAN and tried his!

IP Logged

uk_exile
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Thinking I need 10x as will be high country. Not sure about $ now though. Will spend some time in a store trying $300 and $1000 so see for myself what some of the difference is. Then I'll be patient as I can looking out for second hand or clearance deals.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2019 at 6:21am
Print Post  
I use thirty year old Nikon 6x pocket binos for close bush work, but not much good for fading light nor distance.

I did sit with a couple of blokes glassing distance and got to look through a 10 and 12x - and the 12x was better, but that could have been a factor of glass quality.

My brother in law has 10x something Khales, but way too big and heavy and too limited a view for our type hunting.

I do have 8x30 Nikon E's with a wide FOV and while I don't use them for bush hunting - they're a really comfortable binocular when chasing rabbits.
Near enough the same as the East German Zeiss Jena binoculars.

Never looked through a Swarovski - but I think I'd like to.

IP Logged

Kersh
Donor Member

We interrupt this marriage
for hunting season.

Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 10:56am
Print Post  
I'm still using 12 year old Bushnell 10x42 H2O's.
They're fine for your first pair out the box. Think I paid around $220 (landed from the US ebay), but they're about that here now. Shot hundreds of deer with em, Even been Tahr hunting a couple of times and have served me well. My eyes are still bloody sharp though so that helps. Have a look, they're not as bad as you might expect in the couple of hundy range.

Tikka T3 .270 St/St

IP Logged

Simon Gibson

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
For open tops hunting in Canterbury 10x42 is definitely the way to go. Binos with a small objective lens size like 10x32 or worse still 10x28 should be avoided as the amount of light entering then and ultimately your eye is way less than the 42mm diameter lens which will make a big difference at first and last light. 10x magnification is far better than 8x for open tops but if you go to 12x or especially 15x you will have trouble holding them still and also have problems with them picking up heat shimmer.

The best entry level binoculars I have tested were Nikon Monarchs in 8x42 retailing for about $600 at the time. Many of the brands at this level and below are not fit for purpose.† They will give you a headache as your eyes try and look in different directions through badly aligned lenses and crappy glass.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2019 at 8:45pm by Simon Gibson »  

bnb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards