Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Best non-toxic options (Read 2492 times)
Henry Straker

Best non-toxic options
Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Could anyone with a lot of experience in non-toxic ammunition share their knowledge....

Iím used to 130gr SST in a (1 in 10) .270. What is the best option going forward in terms of a bullet with equivalent speed and terminal performance out to 400m? I am not afraid to change calibres.

Cheers

Cheers

IP Logged

Henry Straker

Re: Best non-toxic options
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Further to that, is anyone successfully using non-toxic as a long range bullet (beyond 500m) and if so, what bullet? Thanks

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Im using 129 grn Barnes LRX in my 270wsm. 3250 fps. Have been excellent out to 400 yards. Higher bc than the ordinary Barnes and seem to be a bit softer.

Use 150 TTSX Barnes in my 300saum out to 450 yards quite successfully too.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Barnes TTSX expand partly at impact velocity of 1800 and fully at 2000. Put your load into a calculator and the maximum distance will be where the loads go below 2000. Will be different for every caliber / load / bullet weight.

In BC example with the 129gr LRX the speed goes below 2000 at 450m so good call to limit himself to 400m.

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 9:13am
Print Post  
JaSa wrote on Jan 11th, 2019 at 7:25am:
Barnes TTSX expand partly at impact velocity of 1800 and fully at 2000. Put your load into a calculator and the maximum distance will be where the loads go below 2000. Will be different for every caliber / load / bullet weight.

In BC example with the 129gr LRX the speed goes below 2000 at 450m so good call to limit himself to 400m.

700 yards for my 270wsm 129grn load @ 3250fps

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Are you being forced to move to non-toxic by land owner environmental reasons, or is it you choice? If you have a choice there are better options. If not, your limit of 400m is probably the max, esp as I guess you are culling red and possibly sika.

I shot a red hind years ago with a 100 grain TTSX at 3200 FPS mv at 375m and it didnít go well. Needed a second shot from around 150 to finish her off where she still stood. Lesson learned for me there, and I limited shots to under 200m after that. Heavier bullets going as fast or faster will do a better job, but Barnes need velocity to do their job well. Personally, I think 2000 fps is still too slow for a Barnes to expand well.

Canít say I would use Barnes now except for bush stalking where they are very good. I know areas of the UK have mandated no lead ammo policy now (RSPB areas being an example). Sadly I think the campaign against lead can be at the expense of deer welfare when the limits of non-toxic bullets are exceeded.

Good luck whatever you go with.

IP Logged

Henry Straker

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
This is a great forum - thanks for the info. A few things learnt already from this thread. Trying the GRX vs the GMX.

Can I encourage more to share their experiences?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:28am
Print Post  
in the humble .223 the 50 grn ttsx have taken me red hinds with normal ol chest shots at bush ranges piece of cake...stretch that range out and have young fella not place shots right and they hit thier limits (expansion tells me 250ish yards) we got the deer but it wasnt ideal. 110grn in .270 shot mummy chammy and the kid behind it at 200ish yards...mum looked around at kid flopping over bank then got all wobbly and fell herself...good solid chest shot it was too.... Ive got nearly a hundred of the 110s and cant see me using them any time soon as the old school cup n core loads are doing just fine. as for meat damage....whats that???LOL

IP Logged

50BMG
Donor Member

12.7 x 114 - Yep I can
reach that....

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 8:19am
Print Post  
I guess you mean lead-free.  Some regard copper monoliths as toxic but most do not. If Copper suits your needs look at GS Custom bullets... Big range of proven projectiles. http://gscustom.co.za/

Most of the well-known brands make projectiles to suit your needs. Talk to your supplier.

"The brave few are Freedoms rampart for the many"† "Otherwise protect your freedoms or you will surely lose them"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards