Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic It's been a while. (Read 1105 times)
Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

It's been a while.
Jan 7th, 2019 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Its been a good couple of years since I posted anything, so thought Id dust off a few cobwebs and see, A- if I remember how to post a picture. B- If Photobucket will let me. And C- share a few hunts.

First one was the fallow rut. I had had an amazing couple of days getting really close to a number of bucks, but always something stopped me letting an arrow go. Either wrong angle, Not quite close enough, Buck was too good or they saw me at last minute.
Finally I was sneaking in on a croaking buck when movement off to my right drew my attention to another Buck with the same idea. I hunkered down behind a log as I realised he was on a collision course with me. At 5 meters he walked behind a tree giving me safety in drawing my bow and I anchored on a spot about 3 meters away which he duly walked into. No sooner had my arrow left the bow and it was buried in his heart. At that distance it was mayhem as his eyes nearly popped out of his head and he backflipped to crash into the tree next to me. I waited half an hour even though I was sure I had heard him expire just below me and sure enough when I tracked him down he was laying just a short distance away.

Next hunt was with Mate Jet. He was stalking in on a nice boar and i was getting bored so deciding that I should do something I moved around to cut off it's likely escape route should it get the drop on him. It was getting late and pretty dark when another boar showed up close to me. I crept to a bank as he came on and paused 25 meters below me. Jet could not get a shot at his due to the low light and patch of cover it was in, so I drew back to be rewarded with a solid whack and he collapsed within 40 meters.

I had some mates from Switzerland here hunting and filming for their web page. Initially we were on a bit of a goat hunt but the goats were not playing ball. We came to a large steep slip and at its top was this young fallow. I realised it had lost mum or been kicked out by a buck... It was that time of year and probably it was a good one to take out. The guys wanted to see some bow hunting so I stalked my way up the slip and let go an arrow at about 30 meters. He ran my way, then got the wobble's and stiff legged it horizontally off the slip face to crash at the guy's feet while they filmed. Broke my arrow of course.

A nice little eater next. Was memorable because I was training a new pup. After the shot the pig got back into the bush and I was not quite sure on the shot due to darkness. Took the pup in and was pleased and relieved when he found him within a couple of minutes. Gutted him there and came back next morning to carry him out and get a pic with the pup.

This was a cool little hunt where things went wrong but I managed to salvage the situation by acting quickly. Was trying out my brother's camera and tripod for a bit of self filming. I came across a mob of pigs with a nice boar in it. My thinking was that I would try the big lens he had and set camera up at a distance so that maybe both me and pigs would be in focus. With that in mind I positioned it 70 meters away form the mob and while getting it ready was distracted enough not to notice they had walked my way. I looked up to see them 15 meters away and tried to get the now very narrow focus of the camera on them. As you can see the sow saw me doing this and they started to head off the ridge back into the bush. Thinking quickly I took a few steps after them and caught the boar as he jumped over a log. You can hear the arrow thwack into him and him crashing down after wards if you turn the sound up.

https://youtu.be/NxHVdbplgfQ

Last one was an amazing little hunt. I saw what looked to be a yearling going on size away across a valley on a bush edge. It was carrying some kind of injury to a leg and I figured it would be a good one to target. By the time I got over there it had made its way back to the bush so with nothing to loose I figured I'd see if I could track it down. I'd been stalking for a couple of minutes when a massive thunderstorm hit. It was so bad the rain was bouncing off everything forcing me to take cover under a stupid little Punga on a lean. I was on my knees bent over as there was only a little height to work with.
The storm passed as quick as it came. I kind of got mesmerised by the beauty of the piece of bush I was in with the drops falling off the leaves and was hunched up watching that from my shelter when I heard footsteps. Out of the corner of my eye the doe walked past a meter away. There was no way I could draw and come to an anchor from my position and to move out would have scared her immediately, so I drew back the bow from my waist and pushed my bow arm out away from me, got the arrow as well as I could under my eye and let go. The arrow went clean through her and lodged in a tree on the far side 5 meters from me. She sprinted forward then stood there wondering what had happened before collapsing in my sight. Turned out she was ancient with no teeth left and a buggered hip so was a great choice to go after her.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: It's been a while.
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Don't leave it that long again please. 😀
Good write up, good pictures. Good hunting 👍

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews, Leica and Nikon

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Nice post
Good to have you back here

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
inspiring yet again thanks for posting.

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
i had my first decent recurve hunt during xmas, was about 10m from 2 red spikers, i saw them coming and let the first mostly go passed, then tried drawing before the second came into view, however it came on faster than i expected and saw me start to draw, i stopped dead still mid draw and we 3 stood staring at each other for a few minutes at maximum of 10m  they couldnt clearly see me and didnt exactly know the danger i posed but eventually they legged it, although they didnt go far, 1 of them gave a couple of half arsed barks but they went back to feeding not too far away, i did get another brief glimpse of them through some scrub but couldnt get close again. it was an extended back country trip and hot so i wouldnt have been able to reliably keep the meat anyway.  i have kebabbed a few animals with a compound but its next step for me to be using trad gear, im stoked to be going instinctive styles. loving the simplicity

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 6:06am
Print Post  
Its interesting the stages you go through. I still remember first starting out hunting deer with a rifle and I really had to try hard to come back with an animal until it all clicked into place. Same again when I took up the compound bow. Each change you make brings about its own challenges and learning until your body and brain click to the new skill.
Traditional bows are really interesting in comparison to compound. On one hand there is the frustration of the time it takes until you have the internal judgment and muscle memory to shoot one really effectively. Two years ago I would have said I was there, but now realise it took much longer. Plus there is the limiting of your shooting distance in comparison to a sighted fast modern compound.
On the flip side learning trad skills gives you a speed I don't think you can get from compound ( Unless you are Tim Wells.)  and much more ability to shoot from weird angles and positions.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Great reading and even better pictures, well done !!

You still do the young pheasants every year like you used to? Remembering sorting you out with some meal years ago until I moved to another branch  Cool

Cheers,
JaSa

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Cheers JaSa,

yep still doing them. Has only been one guy interested in hunting at the Oto store so definitely remember dealing with you.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Great write up Shanks, I. Struggling to get my first deer with a bow, a bit of a mix of not being able to get close enough and or then rushing it when I think Im all good.
Still the bang stick to fall back on.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Yep, I know what thats like. What really helped me was focusing on the mindset that It did not matter if I was successful and that an arrow or movement that scared a deer was a wasted hunt. Better to sit still and lose an opportunity while knowing you can have another attempt in a few minutes or another day. After that I started having animals get closer to me and when they were close it was much harder to miss.
My average is about 1 stalk in 12 I consider a success because Im close enough to decide on letting an arrow go.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the writeup. It was excellent.  Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

UstaBZee

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #11 - yesterday at 3:17am
Print Post  
Shankspony, great story and pics.  Im guessing the critters just hate it when you get in the bush with them!   Grin

Zee

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - yesterday at 6:15am
Print Post  
Cheers Zee! Though I'm hoping the animals don't know when im in the bush with them. Grin

In all honesty, being a successful bowhunter is a lot about being able to spend a lot of time hunting. You have a lot of 'Failures". But if you are failing enough then every once in a while everything gos right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards