Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Gunner (Read 7423 times)
Dog Runner
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Gunner
Reply #15 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Same as yours buy the sounds.  Indicating deer and fetching ducks, anything more is a bonus really.  luckily the older dog still works well, so first year or two for pup will likely be mostly obedience training and getting used to the bush, dont like to rush into field stuff too early and end up creating a bad habit or two.

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
So Gunner is growing crazy fast, and fitting into his new life as a dog.
I was doing some training with him to walk out in front the other day which is no easy task. Had him going along and he would sniff the ground which was a little disappointing as I wanted him winding.
Turned to go back, nose straight into the air, I hadn't really thought about wind direction but as soon as we walked into the wind he was all over it.
Just another example of dog training owner.🙂
Good luck Gunner you have your work cut out.😋

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
lol you arent wrong about them training you.
as for wind Vs ground scenting....each dog will decide which is thier thing...Ive owned and hunted over both,each has good and bad points.current bitch is pure air/wind scent orientated and as she is only allowed to work in close that suits me just fine n dandy.... on a stinking hot day or when its persisting down or has just done so,the air scenter comes into thier own,a ground scenting dog may struggle in those conditions,but other wise they are just as good,just diferent.

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #18 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
lol you arent wrong about them training you.
as for wind Vs ground scenting....each dog will decide which is thier thing...Ive owned and hunted over both,each has good and bad points.current bitch is pure air/wind scent orientated and as she is only allowed to work in close that suits me just fine n dandy.... on a stinking hot day or when its persisting down or has just done so,the air scenter comes into thier own,a ground scenting dog may struggle in those conditions,but other wise they are just as good,just diferent.

That's interesting MD, it is good to know. How do you get on ground scenting if the deer is meandering into the wind?
Also on a different topic, Food. Sometimes Gunner gobbles up his food in half a minute sometimes it sits there half a day. Is that normal for a pup. He gets the same amount of food pretty much.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #19 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 9:15am
Print Post  
You are already displaying some good behaviors DHDS. It should work out ok. The dog will have you trained up in no time.  Smiley Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #20 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
I must apologize for the lack of updates on this thread, there are a few reason’s.
I have got real busy.
The dog has been so much harder than anticipated, so haven’t been that stoked to write.
I have written a lot once before and lost it all in some sort of error.
But here goes a ramble grab a coffee if you are keen.
As stated I have had difficulties Gunner is so high strung (means it only takes a little to push him over the edge) he was never able to even take a pat, I had to sit him down calm him down and then try with various degrees of success to pat him.
Fast he is so quick, maybe not in a straight line but look away for 30 seconds then you have to look in a three hundred and sixty degree circle for a hundred meters growing every second you don’t see him. He is an actual hunter, the whole time he is hunting, never hanging out chilling always hunting.

I have never had a young pup, my other dog was 7 months when I got him and he was such a cruiser. So I do think I expect to much from a young puppy. Side note: people who say “oh you have got a puppy, you do realize they don’t stay like that they grow up” They are not dog people, puppys are terrible creatures, give me a dog a well trained dog anyday.
He chewed my sister inlaws wedding shoes, that was a bad scene.
He kept running to play with the neighbors dog.
If I was building he was off for all money, on the road into the property down a few doors, or a few more.
Taken food that wasn’t for him.
He is always trying to push the limits, just like a typical dog.
I really had trouble bonding, or even enjoying the pup because of these things and more.
To show you how ready he is all the time, I was sleeping in the van on a bed that he was not allowed on, he was on the floor. I woke up at 2 or 3 in the morning thought he could come up for a pat. “come on boy” he was up before I even finished the sentence, as if he was lying down there the whole time waiting for months to be allowed up. No coxing just straight up.
One thing I am really impressed by is his ability to come, every time, instantly, I call he comes, so good at it properly a saving grace in some of the hard times.
His sit and stay is coming along real good I work on this real hard because it is so important to me. Everytime he gets put back if he moves, I don’t do it unless I have the time to put him back.
He is just over a year now, I started hunting him at 9 months, way to excited in the bush I found I was having to watch him and not hunt. This is still ongoing. But as an immediate fix  (I had trained him to walk out in front) I quickly taught him to heal, took about 10min. So now he can hunt in front (more on that soon) or on the heal.
Few things from hunts.
Got to within 7 meters of a deer with him, missed, yes I missed at seven meters. Must have shot under its neck. We went through a hole in the bush to a small clearing the deer took a hop behind a fern with its neck sticking out and I missed.
Walked along a river then hooked back up a steep hill with tight bush looked back down across the river, big buck with two hinds. To stuffed to crawl back down.

Same river on dusk a spiker across the river at about two hundred meters, far to far for me. I didn’t know what time it got dark, I had left my head lamp in the van, checked my emergency torch and that wasn’t going. Had to weigh things up being an hour from van, I decided to close the gap quickly taking a few risks then shoot from 80 meters cross the river gut gear and head back to van. Scared goats and they alerted deer, he took off as I was going from last tree to shooting tree.
Going through thick bush with Gunner at the heal he suddenly wasn’t there, look back he was dead still not moving for all money. I creep back a few steps to a fern he was by, looking hard searching. Then I heard what can only be described as a deer having a wee (it may not have been but I can’t put it down to anything else) Snuck a couple of meters around the fern and down a meter high bank only to find a wet patch and fresh prints.

First hunt on some private land, also after Samber. I got there about 20min from dark, put my torch in my pocket and off we went. I was going to hunt down a track to a clearing spotlight it with my maxtoch and head back. Hunt down there get there just after dark turn on the maxtoch, no batteries, classic. Walk back in the moonlight Gunner interested as, suddenly I found out what a Samber sounds like. Someone giving an almighty blow of there nose through a trombone. It was not more than thirty meters away and crashed through the bush, so noisy. Went back to the van and got battery’s and went spotting got trumboned a few more times but I still haven’t seen a Samber.

Back to Gunner, I need to hunt with him more. He is hard to keep within a distance out in front of me that I am happy with. If I take a small detour from where he goes hunting and stealth goes out the window and all he worries about with tail wagging is getting back in front of me, and I am talking about just a different side of a small tree. He really slows down when he is onto something goes into complete stealth mode, again I need to hunt with him more maybe I will be able to walk through bush at a greater speed and then slow down when he does.
I have found a big change when hunting with him, as I could do hunting training out hunting. Home and building training when building. I would recommend hunting earlier if wanting a hunting dog and a pet dog, but that still needs proof that I can train a deerstalking dog so jury is still out.
Another thing off note, which is a sad note and the effect of it was totally unexpected and would be keen to hear anyone else’s experience on this. My old dog died a couple of weeks ago, it was real sad, we buried him as a family. Gunner was there. Since then Gunner has been a completely different dog, he will come and lie down where I am working at my feet all the time now.

He has never done this before. He wants to be by me all the time, I don’t know why this is but my workers have noticed this as well.

I miss old Buzz couple of photos for a tribute.

So Gunner now is not leaving the section when I am here. I don’t fence my section I train. He has had a couple of nights not tied up and when I wake up he is in his kennel, this is a massive step. I have not left him home alone when I am out yet. He can sit and stay good, will still get distracted especially when other people are around and come and pat him. This is not an excuse to me and something we are working on. Getting him not ranging to far is still something I am working on.
He is starting to become a good boy, I am bonding with him and enjoy having him around. I can’t wait to train him with ducks, I reckon he will be real good, that will happen starting February.
Any questions ask? any tips tell.
Or just feel free to leave a comment

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #21 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 7:09am
Print Post  
great write up, they do call vislazs velcro dogs! Ive got a young dog im really not that into, shes a beardie/heading dog about 16months old, bit hyper, bit nervous her range is too far for me also.... but shes pretty bloody good at finding animals, ive shot pigs an deer over her.  Also so have an older dog who is perfect!

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #22 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Great update thank you.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
It's a real challenge alright. Keep persevering though.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #24 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report. Lovely pic of the dog in front of the tree.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
great update...now me personally would highly recomend you kennel or at least tie up dog at night......they may be very good BUT there WILL come a time when a scent is on the breeze they just cant resist checking out..be it bitch in season or a rabbit of a couple of cats having a scrap or even someone up to no good next door.....you cant un runover a dog. if your dog is now a clingon it could work in your favour in the bush/on deer....far easier to keep it close if it wants to be near. as for hyper excitement..you tell me,Im still trying to work that one out.....have realised dog is a mirror....if I stay calm,she will be calm,if Im stressed,she will be stressed...if I get all hyped up because animal is close she will whinge/whine...not good....a calming pat on chest and SLOW DOWN even more seems to be helping with that.
good luck and keep posting.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #26 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Good point. Caged at night, even if sleeps inside is a great way to go. Outside I have a kennel with a 4m2 area covered on slates in front it can lie on if it desires. The dog waits quietly there till its opened up every morning same time. Open cage and take dog to my side and have it sit at heel. Give it a good pet and release for a pee and then a feed.   Its good to have a routine every morning. Set the tone for the rest of the day..

Dogs like being confined for a portion of the day or at night once they establish its their safe place.  In a colder part of NZ its good to have them inside at night, -15 round this way.. but still have a good sized cage in a convenient place that the dog can easily turn round and stretch out in and can stand up in. They get used to it pretty quick, again its their super safe place and mine run in without problems and wait for the door to be closed when its that time of night.  I never force the dog in, it has to want to go in.

You might have this all sorted. Just having a ramble.. some things work better with different dogs.  Smiley

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #27 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
I read MD's post and thought about why I leave him off the lead at night. It really just came down to a pride thing to have a dog that was well trained. I thought that was not actually achieving anything. Just got back from giving him a feed and tied him up and read HC's post.
He does love his kennel and always sleeps in it. So there he will be safe and sound.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
good shit bud......if you have a long yard you can run a zip line.....post at each end,#8 wire along top of them both tightish...clip dog chain onto wire...dog can run from one end to the other without getting tangled.I made up a 4" piece of pipe with a link of chain welded to it..threaded it on the wire and clipped chain onto this. works with thin rope too.
gives dog a heap more freedom but still keeps them secure.
Meg sleeps next to me,(head tucked into my armpit actually LOL)When we are out in the bush or over on island during duckshooting weekend...most times she isnt even tied up,but a string onto pack is piece of mind...there is no way in hell I would leave her unattended in town....just too risky,the odd time we have forgotton to shut gate she stayed home but we pretty anul about keeping them locked in.
one day it will just click with your dog and stalking will be awesome from then on...keep at it and keep us posted.

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #29 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 6:50am
Print Post  
So...
We got our first deer together, last Monday
It was not one he had to lead me to, I was traveling for work and was running late oh well won't make it till tomorrow morning now may as well turn off and go for a hunt.
Got to the park at about 5:30pm 1 hour walk to the clearings, public land should be a good hunt.
Walk done to the river clearings with only a couple of goats seen, which is not surprising as there is never deer on that part. But the disappointing bit is that the wind is blowing the total wrong way. I carried on regardless not really knowing what to do as the wind was strong on my back. Thought I would get to the end of the clearings and decide what to do then. I had previously decided to leave to head back to the van at 8:00pm to get back to van from there or there bouts.
Suddenly across the other side of the river there was a deer, maybe 100 meters away, just grazing happily. We were in the open too, about 10 meters from a tree, the deer was facing away from us so we covered the ground unseen. I don't know how this deer hadn't got our scent when we first arrived but we were far enough along that it was not going to pick it up now. I sat down at the tree with Gunner just behind me, it could not have been more perfect for shooting with a little bank to sit on a branch at perfect height as a rest it really couldn't be better.
The deer had taken a couple of steps and was partially obscured behind a punga. I could see it was a beautiful little Fallow yearling hind couple more steps and it was gone behind the punga.
There was two punga's there but nowhere else for her to go, so I waited, waited, waited, maybe she had snuck off, the lay of the land was not as I thought over there. Waited some more, she appeared again I steadied for the shot it was good.

The recovery was not that easy the canyon is described as uncross-able on the Doc website, it is cross-able but only if you have shot something on the other side. The photo is from the bottom, with the left side being the problem.

Made it, let Gunner lead the way. Lovely little deer.

Still got time I will butcher it on site.

Tried it a little different this time and took the front shoulders off with the skin dealt with the rest, and then ended with the front shoulders.

Good thing about on site butchery is that if you gut it and move the right distance away to break it down then the flies are not bothering you to much.

Got the meat cooled and away in the pack and started back at 7:45pm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards