Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Gunner (Read 5759 times)
Dog Runner
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Gunner
Reply #15 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Same as yours buy the sounds.  Indicating deer and fetching ducks, anything more is a bonus really.  luckily the older dog still works well, so first year or two for pup will likely be mostly obedience training and getting used to the bush, dont like to rush into field stuff too early and end up creating a bad habit or two.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
So Gunner is growing crazy fast, and fitting into his new life as a dog.
I was doing some training with him to walk out in front the other day which is no easy task. Had him going along and he would sniff the ground which was a little disappointing as I wanted him winding.
Turned to go back, nose straight into the air, I hadn't really thought about wind direction but as soon as we walked into the wind he was all over it.
Just another example of dog training owner.🙂
Good luck Gunner you have your work cut out.😋

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
lol you arent wrong about them training you.
as for wind Vs ground scenting....each dog will decide which is thier thing...Ive owned and hunted over both,each has good and bad points.current bitch is pure air/wind scent orientated and as she is only allowed to work in close that suits me just fine n dandy.... on a stinking hot day or when its persisting down or has just done so,the air scenter comes into thier own,a ground scenting dog may struggle in those conditions,but other wise they are just as good,just diferent.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #18 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Feb 6th, 2019 at 11:59pm:
lol you arent wrong about them training you.
as for wind Vs ground scenting....each dog will decide which is thier thing...Ive owned and hunted over both,each has good and bad points.current bitch is pure air/wind scent orientated and as she is only allowed to work in close that suits me just fine n dandy.... on a stinking hot day or when its persisting down or has just done so,the air scenter comes into thier own,a ground scenting dog may struggle in those conditions,but other wise they are just as good,just diferent.

That's interesting MD, it is good to know. How do you get on ground scenting if the deer is meandering into the wind?
Also on a different topic, Food. Sometimes Gunner gobbles up his food in half a minute sometimes it sits there half a day. Is that normal for a pup. He gets the same amount of food pretty much.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #19 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 9:15am
Print Post  
You are already displaying some good behaviors DHDS. It should work out ok. The dog will have you trained up in no time.  Smiley Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards