Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Gunner (Read 6238 times)
DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Gunner
Jan 7th, 2019 at 5:32am
Print Post  

Hi guys, just picked up a new pup. So am in full training mode.
His name is Gunner been with us a week and has settled in real nice.
Kept the neighborhood awake the first couple of nights which was a bit harrowing.
I will be using him if all goes well pointing deer and fetching ducks. Will keep you informed.
Hard to train him to come, as he wants to be by me the whole time.🙂

Hungarian Vizsla 6/8
Lab 1/8
Springer Spaniel 1/8

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Gunner
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Sweet looking dog.. hope it all goes well. Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:53am
Print Post  
He looks so cute Smiley
I hope he goes well for you

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 1:45am
Print Post  
He seams to be a good little dog, in saying that he went to his kennel before training finished last night. Was just to excited  and didn't want to listen.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 3:59am
Print Post  
Hi again, with a name like DHDShooter I imagine youve got a heap of training experience under your belt and more than one dog trained to a level your happy with. Its great to have someone post about a new dog again and offering to keep us up to speed on how its going.

That comment of yours about '' Was just to excited  and didn't want to listen'' reminded me of some young dogs that are just so driven theyll start to shiver as you put them on the line. Its anticipation and high drive all rolled into one. Im sure shell do you proud given time.
Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 6:27am
Print Post  
I was gonna ask if his ears were painted on  Grin
It's very early days with him yet so I wouldn't get too worried about him getting distracted or wanting his dinner a bit early Smiley

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 7:17am
Print Post  
To be honest HC, I have never had a true pup. I went with my mate about 12 years ago who was interested in some dogs. I ended up coming home with one he didn't. They were six months old. I had been hunting for about 3 years and apart from a guy where I was duck shooting I knew no one with a hunting dog.

I didn't want to fence my section so spent the better part of the day at the front of the house trying to guess which side of the house the dog was coming down, then would send it back. Never fenced him in or tied him up and he was never allowed in the house. For those that think I was mean, I would often throw my sleeping bag outside and sleep out with the dog. (Single then).

This pup is going to be different and I will train differently but I still expect a great dog just like my old Buzz.

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Cheers Rugerman, I agree with your assessment of the situation, all round lovely pup. Its funny a lot of people don't get a dog for the end game
They say things like "oh it's a pity they don't stay like that" or "I would get a pup but they turn into dogs". I actually want a dog, that is well trained and a great asset.

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Just to pick up on something else you said HC, I know the dog section can get really crazy and it can end up post at you perial. I will keep posting, and post my mistakes so others can learn. I also love advice that I can sort through and pick up tips but I will stop posting if it turns into some massive  argument about technique and whatnot.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Yep I've found you get out what you put in with training.I haven't trained any dogs for hunting, but for general obedience and a few "tricks" I've found that some dogs are keener than others to learn. Of course they all want to please you but some are not so keen on repeating the same actions over and over.

Oh and your right about the dog section, it has a bit of history of turning into a crap fest. I think if everyone treats each other with respect and doesn't rubbish contributions, then even the most experienced can pick up alternative ways to do things and might even learn something new Smiley

Me, I'm always trying to learn from other peoples' mistakes so I can avoid making the same mistakes myself.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Pups are great fun. Enjoy. We have 1/4 springer in our two dogs and I really rate them for biddability and temperament. Springers are cracking little dogs. A mate has  visla bitch pup and he loves it. He is the best dog man I have ever met. He said that his is sensitive but extremely loyal. Just wants to be with him. Labs...... well labs are labs. Generally placid and nice to be around. Yours is an interesting mix and hopefully does all you want it to. Am sure you will have a lot of fun. Enjoy. That is what it is all about at the end of the day. Wink

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Has anyone got a Lab/springer cross?

IP Logged

Dog Runner
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Picking up a 3/4 lab 1/4 spaniel pup in a couple of weeks as the old lab weimaraner is starting to slow up.  The Bitch is 1/2 and 1/2 lovely dog and proven hunter. Fingers crossed

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Rugerman wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:55pm:
Yep I've found you get out what you put in with training.I haven't trained any dogs for hunting, but for general obedience and a few "tricks" I've found that some dogs are keener than others to learn. Of course they all want to please you but some are not so keen on repeating the same actions over and over.

Oh and your right about the dog section, it has a bit of history of turning into a crap fest. I think if everyone treats each other with respect and doesn't rubbish contributions, then even the most experienced can pick up alternative ways to do things and might even learn something new Smiley

Me, I'm always trying to learn from other peoples' mistakes so I can avoid making the same mistakes myself.

This little fella is becoming my little buddy quite quickly, he is doing well and is keen to please, but I hear ya about not wanting to do the same actions over again.
I am using it to try and keep his temperament calm. Have heard a few horror stories about Hungarian vizsla's, about been way to excited. He is an excitable little chap.

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Dog Runner wrote on Jan 21st, 2019 at 6:46am:
Picking up a 3/4 lab 1/4 spaniel pup in a couple of weeks as the old lab weimaraner is starting to slow up.  The Bitch is 1/2 and 1/2 lovely dog and proven hunter. Fingers crossed

Cool, what will the pup be for? Lovely dog and proven in the field is always good.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards