Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Late February hunt (Read 1277 times)
TBinKodiak
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Late February hunt
Jan 6th, 2019 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
My family and I will be visiting the South Island for about 4 weeks in February. We will be in Christchurch Feb23-March 1 so my wife can do some research for a project she is working on. Our trip also includes stops in Hawaii and Fiji with 11 separate flights so I have ruled out bringing a rifle due to the hassle for such a short hunt.
I was reading that it is legal to go with someone and borrow a rifle, please correct me if Iím wrong. With that in mind I thought I would throw out an invitation to go hunting. I would gladly cover a helicopter flight if anyoneís interested.
I am in my mid 40s and live in Kodiak Alaska. Iíve taken numerous animals including Dall rams, mountain goats, elk, deer, musk ox, brown and black bear, caribou, moose, etc. Iím not a trophy hunter and Iíve never used a guide (well I had to use an outfitter for the musk ox I guess). I hunt for the meat and the experience. Iím open to a difficult hunt or an easy hunt, basically I just want to get out and stretch my legs and see some new country. After watching numerous videos I think a chamois hunt with the possibility of running into a red stag would be top on my list, but Iíd also gladly do tahr, hogs, etc.
Alaska is a difficult one to do a swap hunt, because they require non-residents to have a guide. I do have a boat and could take you out fishing for salmon and halibut though. Let me know if anyone is interested or has ideas.

Thank you,
Trevor

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Re: Late February hunt
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
How far south u headed mate?

IP Logged

TBinKodiak
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Fly into CHC on Feb 4th renting a camper the 7th to 15th doing the Queenstown, Te Anau, West Coast tour. Then back to Christchurch to drop off camper and get a car to do the Abel Tasman, Picton, and Kaikoura loop for several days. Back in Christchurch on the 22nd and fly out on March 2nd.
Traveling with my wife and two kids 8 and 5. My mother is coming down to join us on the 15th and she is happy to watch them while we are in CHC so I can sneak off for a hunt. I could always jump in a car and head south if there is a possibility of a hunt down there.

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
It is perfectly legal to use a firearm under the supervision of someone with a NZ firearms licence, but my understanding is it is very simple to get a visitors licence anyway.
http://www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-and-safety/visitors-firearms-licence-a...

IP Logged

TBinKodiak
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
I agree, it is easy to get a permit to bring it in. I just donít want the hassle of hauling a firearm on an extended vacation through Hawaii, New Zealand, and Fiji. Lots of paperwork and we have a total of 11 separate/connecting flights so I just didnít want the headache of worrying about it getting lost or stolen. Itís ok if it doesnít work out, I can always come back in few years to hunt.

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
TBinKodiak wrote on Jan 6th, 2019 at 3:30pm:
I agree, it is easy to get a permit to bring it in. I just donít want the hassle of hauling a firearm on an extended vacation through Hawaii, New Zealand, and Fiji. Lots of paperwork and we have a total of 11 separate/connecting flights so I just didnít want the headache of worrying about it getting lost or stolen. Itís ok if it doesnít work out, I can always come back in few years to hunt.

I was talking about getting a visitors firearms licence, not a permit to bring in a firearm. Then you can use a borrowed rifle without having to be under the direct supervision of someone else (e.g can go for a look in the next valley). Though it may not be as simple as i thought as it appears you still need to have secure storage arrangements (is a condition of having a licence here, even if you don't actually own any firearms), though that could be covered by the storage of whoever you arrange a hunt with. There are plenty of Christchurch based hunters on the forum so I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.
Good luck!  Smiley

IP Logged

TBinKodiak
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2019 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks Cigar, Iíll look into it a little more.

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:52am
Print Post  
PM sent

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Let me know when ur down this way I can prob put u onto a fallow or a red or maybe even a hog if I'm not run off my feet maybe even a bunny bust mission

IP Logged

Tom Thumb
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Hi TB,
My wife and I were in AK for 2 months back in 2017 and are heading back again this Fall (your time) We really enjoyed ourselves and would love to host you if it works out.
I have options of getting into the alps/head waters of the Canterbury region to hunt for Tahr mostly and, or helping you get down to Tarras to take up the offer from Padox. I'm sure we could work something out.
We live about 2 hours south of Christchurch, on the way that you will be heading so calling in on the way to meet up and talk options could be an idea.
Cheers, TT

IP Logged

TBinKodiak
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 4:59am
Print Post  
Padox, Bos, and Tom those are all some great offers. Tahr, red stag, fallow and hogs all sound like amazing hunts. Wish I had more time to do them all. Let me look at my itinerary again and Iíll be in touch.
Tom, do you know the dates you be in Alaska yet? If you get to the island Iím sure I can get you on some fish or small game. My buddy is an assistant guide but he is gone a lot because his main job is commercial fishing. If he is around there is always a possibility of going for deer here.

Thank you,
Trevor

IP Logged

Tom Thumb
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Hi Trevor,
We are hoping to be in Alaska during September into October this trip. Last time we hired an RV in Anchorage and spent June and July touring AK and the Yukon. This time we hope to set ourselves up in our own unit probably a pickup and 5th wheeler from the San Fran region and head to AK via Wyoming and Montana, yep the long way Smiley and spend time in some of AK we couldn't get to in our hired unit last time, over the Fall period. Getting over to Kodiak to meet up would be pretty cool. Just hanging out with the locals is always a great part of any trip, doing some activities a bonus.
Now back to you. Yep your time frame is tight, the key is flexibility over the time you have available to get away (23rd Feb-1st March??) cos the weather always has the last say. In my case it could be getting into the Canterbury head waters in a 4x4 ute but if the rivers are up, plan B could be getting flicked in by helicopter on either the east or west coasts. Tarras is only a few hours drive from here so could be fitted in too I'm sure.
PS if you search my 1st post on the forum you will find some more info about me. I'm a bit more active and capable then I make out, the kiwi way is to play things down a bit!!

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Tom Thumb wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 7:21am:
Hi Trevor,
We are hoping to be in Alaska during September into October this trip. Last time we hired an RV in Anchorage and spent June and July touring AK and the Yukon. This time we hope to set ourselves up in our own unit probably a pickup and 5th wheeler from the San Fran region and head to AK via Wyoming and Montana, yep the long way Smiley and spend time in some of AK we couldn't get to in our hired unit last time, over the Fall period. Getting over to Kodiak to meet up would be pretty cool. Just hanging out with the locals is always a great part of any trip, doing some activities a bonus.
Now back to you. Yep your time frame is tight, the key is flexibility over the time you have available to get away (23rd Feb-1st March??) cos the weather always has the last say. In my case it could be getting into the Canterbury head waters in a 4x4 ute but if the rivers are up, plan B could be getting flicked in by helicopter on either the east or west coasts. Tarras is only a few hours drive from here so could be fitted in too I'm sure.
PS if you search my 1st post on the forum you will find some more info about me. I'm a bit more active and capable then I make out, the kiwi way is to play things down a bit!!

WY and MT have great hunting during Sept & Oct, have you considered hunting on your trip?

IP Logged

TBinKodiak
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Tom I sent you a PM

IP Logged

Corey Parker
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2019 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Have you organised a hunting trip yet TBinKodiak?

One KNHNTR. Any day on the hill beats a day in the office.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards