Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Info beg - where to take a couple of newbies (headed to coast via Arthurs pass) (Read 2450 times)
el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat
down with Spartan reserve

Info beg - where to take a couple of newbies (headed to coast via Arthurs pass)
Jan 2nd, 2019 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Hope you're all having a great season / new year. I've been untrusted to take a couple of relatives fishing.

Was thinking somewhere between Springfield and Cass, possibly Lake Lyndon. Not hunting big fish, just some easy fish (if there are any about). They will preferably be spin fishing, will have to reread the regs about how much that reduces the options. Any helpful pointers would be much appreciated.

ENtrusted*... freudian slip most likely!  Grin

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Info beg - where to take a couple of newbies (headed to coast via Arthurs pass)
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
the water at Jacksons looks very nice for a spin fish..... havent stopped and tried it YET ,we travel over that way every couple of months and other than a few fly flickers in spring creeks we dont see anyone.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Info beg - where to take a couple of newbies (headed to coast via Arthurs pass)
Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
brunner lake , if ya coming that far

IP Logged

el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Thanks mate, not intending to head that far in myself, as I'm following them in another car just for the fishing. Not sure if I should attempt an introduction into fly casting... "norwest breezes" metservice tells me  Grin

Did ya get to your usual Xmas river this year?  Cheesy Guess she'd be low and clear atm.

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 4:16am
Print Post  
Lake Poerua, (not sure if that's what MD meant by Jacksons), the one time I did fish it heaps of browns but can't connect probably due to a lack of skill more than anything else. Not that  far  from the main road.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 4:44am
Print Post  
nope I was meaning the BIG clear river you cross less than a km from Jacksons township,youve been along side it for awhile but dont get near it untill then and a few times from there onwards.the cicadas were squaking in Ikimatua last week so a big floater could be order of day if wanted to chuck a fly....might even be worth doing with a bubble,two big hairy arsed cicada imitations at once has to be very tempting.

IP Logged

el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 4:44am:
nope I was meaning the BIG clear river you cross less than a km from Jacksons township,youve been along side it for awhile but dont get near it untill then and a few times from there onwards.the cicadas were squaking in Ikimatua last week so a big floater could be order of day if wanted to chuck a fly....might even be worth doing with a bubble,two big hairy arsed cicada imitations at once has to be very tempting.

Thought I heard a cicada flare up briefly today. Other thing I was wondering given today's heat... water temp do you reckon is ethical to stop fishing at? I don't do any summer fishing so haven't thought about this much. Quite a few rivers around 20 deg now.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:34am
Print Post  
when its frozen solid Grin Grin

IP Logged

el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 6:34am:
when its frozen solid Grin Grin

Turned out it was gusting 80kph norwesters, didn't reckon it was ethical to try showing them how (not to) cast a fly in that  Grin

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2019 at 2:35am
Print Post  
yip the only way that would work possibly would be old school across n down with a wet or two.....yea nah out with the spinning rod Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards