Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic subsonic 223? (Read 181 times)
southotago hern

Meat hunter for life

subsonic 223?
Dec 6th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
this might be a strange thing but has any one loaded such a round ? I'm thinking long range varmet round as unless loaded with a big pill probably not enough velocity to knock over somthing bigger? obvoiusly 300 blackout is an option , I'm just thinking about the gun I already own and getting into reloading

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Re: subsonic 223?
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Use subsonic 223 for wallabies in the bush and goats up to 30m with head shots. Would not shoot anything bigger or further that's for sure.

IP Logged

shooternz

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I would start loading normal loads before trying subsonics while not
difficult you need to know what it takes to load a good accurate round so you will know how well your subs loads are performing

IP Logged

Robojaz
Donor Member

Honestly babe! I've had
that gun for ages.....

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:15am
Print Post  
All depends on what twist you have. I tried 80gr Amax in a 1:9. Knew it was a long shot to get them to stabilize. They tumbled dreadfully.  I tried 69gr Sierra next and that worked.

Used TrailBoss powder. I started with a full case of powder and shooting through a chrony carefully reduced the loads.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Isn't a subsonic 223 called a 22 rimfire?  223 projectiles won't expand that the velocity.  You could use a cast lead projectile but then you are back to a 22 rimfire.  Regardless, if you want to try then trail boss power is what you need.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

JaSa

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Dec 9th, 2018 at 4:40pm:
Isn't a subsonic 223 called a 22 rimfire?

Not really. 40gr LR vs 60+ grain in 223 is 150% more energy plus you only have to lug around one rifle to do both jobs.
Expand is not the only option - tumbling can be just as good  Wink

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
eh whoa eh Tama......it looks like you  got all cunning like and are poken em out backawards!!!!! good idea it should if anything improove stability.... how are your terminal results????

IP Logged

JaSa

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Don't use them that often but the goats don't complain and neither do the little hoppers down Rotorua. Limiting yourself to under 40m is the key and sticking with head shots.
First I had the Hornady 55gr SPSX loaded the right way but turned them around and the flat base seems to give them a good wack - or they tumble after a while, not sure. Once they are all gone I will look for something in the 70gr range with a flat and potential exposed lead base as in the picture. Should transfer more energy and/or more tumbling.

But again, nothing I would use on anything bigger then a goat and here only head shots. Wallabies are smaller, fine boned with a thin skin and they tip over either way...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards