Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tahr cull under way babies left to die (Read 719 times)
stu270
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Tahr cull under way babies left to die
Dec 4th, 2018 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1030061383845156&id=234218336762802

This was posted on Facebook today unsure if it's true or not

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Re: Tahr cull under way babies left to die
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
well I dont know of many ppl that have the heart (or lack of) to want to gut shot every animal and let them suffer so I call utter BS on that. and also for s&d for doc and ospiri etc proof of kills are needed usually via gopro type footage from shooter, wounded arent usually included and the professional shooters I know all reshoot animals in the head once theyve dropped to confirm kills.

More then likely if animals are being shot it would be for waro purposes and not the thar cull,  just a typical FB post trying to provoke outrage and over reaction through made up facts/claims.

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 6:53am
Print Post  
The author and site are well known for fairy stories.† Why not request information from the New Zealand Tahr Foundation https://www.facebook.com/nztahrfoundation/

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die

IP Logged

allroundslayer

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 10:53am
Print Post  
On the subject of shooting animals and leaving young to stave to death, I just got sent the latest info on doc waro review and was surprise to read that doc don't care and are happy to let this happen on doc land, just because it is in the wild animal act that it does not matter , I mean it is a bloody bad look for waros side to and they must be a bunch of heart list picks if you can go out and shoot up hinds at this time of year knowing there will be young at foot starving to death, I would think as a whole industry vensions supplyers to foreign markets would not want this to get out to over seas buyers. All it would take is a few photos, vids of this practise  posted in the right places and I think people would not buy the stuff ,considering that most markets are for pet food at the mo ,  which means  animals lovers at a guess.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
allroundslayer wrote on Dec 5th, 2018 at 10:53am:
On the subject of shooting animals and leaving young to stave to death, I just got sent the latest info on doc waro review and was surprise to read that doc don't care and are happy to let this happen on doc land, just because it is in the wild animal act that it does not matter , I mean it is a bloody bad look for waros side to and they must be a bunch of heart list picks if you can go out and shoot up hinds at this time of year knowing there will be young at foot starving to death, I would think as a whole industry vensions supplyers to foreign markets would not want this to get out to over seas buyers. All it would take is a few photos, vids of this practise† posted in the right places and I think people would not buy the stuff ,considering that most markets are for pet food at the mo ,† which means† animals lovers at a guess.

The good waro operators arent that silly,  the fawns are the future of their industry, they farm it in a way and most will only target adult animals aswell and leave yearlings to grow as theyre uneconomical to harvest and processors dont like dealing with small animals.   there are however plenty of cowboys that dont share the same view, down here is a very good example where theres a private guy following the main waro guys and shooting out all the hinds and yearlings theyve left for next year. 

also there are many many rec hunters that bowl hinds and leave fawns to starve so its not just confined to waro so be carefull what you wish for...

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 6:41am
Print Post  
true to form, Carol Sawyers photo of a poor wee baby tahr  fawn, was in fact a photo of a fawn in the Dresden zoo in Germany
Grin

IP Logged

allroundslayer

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Yea I know wot you are saying Gonehuntin, but it does surprise me that an industry does not have something in place stating they can't shoot hinds at this time of year and it would stop the cow boys to you are talking about not looking at the future , even if it is just to cover bums as they do, especially Doc ! . And yes I know wot you are saying about rec hunting and I think that is crap to and anyone who does this knowing fawns a left to starve must be a heart list pick as well, these days I don't even like shooting hinds when they are near dropping even, as it guts me to see the dead fawn and I am not that disparate for meat and the whole I shot a deer hero thing some guys have got going on , maybe I am just getting soft in my old age haha

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 11:24am
Print Post  
allroundslayer wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:13am:
Yea I know wot you are saying Gonehuntin, but it does surprise me that an industry does not have something in place stating they can't shoot hinds at this time of year and it would stop the cow boys to you are talking about not looking at the future , even if it is just to cover bums as they do, especially Doc ! . And yes I know wot you are saying about rec hunting and I think that is crap to and anyone who does this knowing fawns a left to starve must be a heart list pick as well, these days I don't even like shooting hinds when they are near dropping even, as it guts me to see the dead fawn and I am not that disparate for meat and the whole I shot a deer hero thing some guys have got going on , maybe I am just getting soft in my old age haha

You may need to change your profile name to, "veryselectiveslayer"  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Most if not all the WARO operators shooting DOC land will be shooting hinds with a fawn in tow at the moment, they will shoot anything if it meets the weight criteria, as hinds do. They might tell you they donít to make you feel better, meanwhile their chillers have milky hinds hanging in it.
Also the WARO review paper released by DOC mentioned industry saying very few mature trophy stags are processed. That may be the case but only because they are shot as spikers and very young stags. You only have to remember when WARO ceased in the early 2000ís how many older stags and trophies were getting shot by ground hunters 3-4 years later.
WARO has always been very short sighted and I believe the shooting of hinds at this time of a year would be an issue the to most end consumers if they knew.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards