Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Letter in forest and Bird Newsletter (Read 1650 times)
Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Letter in forest and Bird Newsletter
Reply #45 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
sidney wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 7:27am:
Apple get a grip mate..  the argument is about the removal of introduced species - because of negative environmental effect..

So your solution is to ignore the argument?  Even when flawed?  Way to go with advancing the cause mate - why don't you just abandon rationality in favour of emotional response? 

Quote:
Im not going to say that correct farming practices cant build soils. I think though if you look at history the major effect of agriculture has been an overall soil loss.

Anybody ever composted organic material before?

What do you think it turns into?  Where do you think that soil comes from? - yes of course it has mineral content, but it is primarily from the breakdown of organic material.

Conventional cropping and tillage reduces soil quality and quantity, and given that even pastural farming has moved to intensive cut and carry most of the world over - then yes most agricultural practice has resulted in soil degradation.

Not the case with rotational intensive pastural grazing systems though and dairy is the best at increasing soil quality and quantity.  You lot all complain about the toxicity of excess nutrient from dairy - don't you?  Nutrient builds fertility.

I have been involved in about 7 dairy farm conversions.  Every cropping operation suffers from low organic material content in the soil and lowered soil quality/quantity.  We know how long it takes before that is restored to performance after conversion.

And the soil level just keep increasing... its the only form of agriculture that builds soil fertility.

So the argument to remove animals for the reason of adverse environmental effect is simply wrong.... like everything too much can be a problem but not for the reasons this clown argues..

Kind of not what I was saying.

I wasn't talking about dairy. And what you are saying is only relevant to very easy contour high quality land dependant on soil type. Thats a small part of our total agricultural land area. As an example Waikato peat soils can loose 3.7 t  of C per hectare a year if I remember correctly. And water quality measure almost always record a higher level of Suspended sediment in farming and pine areas than from native forest. The fact is that the issue of soil and carbon loss is going to affect grazing of hill country land considerably and even intensely farmed dairy where they rely on cropping to supplement. Pine trees are not an improvement either where you are clear felling every 25-30 years as proven at Gisborne.
I suspect that the push for pine plantation etc is more about ensuring land is no longer available for Grazing and come 25 years it may only be possible to revert that land to native if the green elements have their way.
Some interesting innovative thinkers out there, and I know of one landowner who is making $30,000+ a year out of harvesting goats from under his regenerating hill country forests.
Could be that some form of farming under permanent tree cover is a future possibility?
Which is the irony this F&B clown as you say, will never get due to his bias, that farming historically noxious animal species may well be our best solution.
The route you have gone down is one very positive avenue worth looking at from more farmers as well. But its going to take a lot of people getting their heads around at least a change in activities around supplemental feed and coming to the realisation that they may have to give up grazing of steeper aspects of their land.

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #46 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
This is a really good overview of the total situation. its American based but it shows its not just us talking about it, its a worldwide issue. This guy is both a soil conservationist and a farmer.
And on A NZ plane it rings a fair few bells the issues he talks of.

One thing that I agree with is that national regulation/ a one size fits all situation/ Does not fix the issues. it needs to be soil by soil, region by region based solutions.
Getting those in power to understand that is near on impossible though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrD8LrNeov0

IP Logged

sidney
Forum Font

Reply #47 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Yep...  its not the nitrates produced... its the nitrates not captured that are the issue.

This isn't news to anyone other that the slow of attention span and those with opinions formed in wilful ignorance.  Like most politicians and the current crop of environmental simpletons.

"But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice!"  Nietzsche

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #48 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
The thing is, if you cant/dont capture the nitrates/carbon/Sediments, then it is the N/C/S produced that is the problem.
And there are still a sizeable percentage of the farming community who are begrudgingly doing the minimum and dragging their feet. Whole communities are not talking about this in a positive light yet. Mean while we have this green element who are pushing forward with their myopic crusade in directions that are not helpful/ not workable and don't make sense to those on the ground who can see the pain and suffering/ disenfranchisement those "solutions" will cause.... which increases the pushback and foot dragging.
As he said in the interview, its expensive to make these changes. Ill add probably a reduction in income for the average farmer too. the sensible thing to do for stability and quick action is to financially help. yet we are in this attitude of force change and bugger the farmers if they cant survive.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #49 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
sidney wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 11:23am:
There is not too much though is there.....  Output cannot exceed input

There is only to much in localised areas at times.

I have always said that land use should be rotated in and out of intensive pastural use to enhance long term sustainability.

As a matter of interest, how are the amounts of cow poo sprayed onto paddocks measured to give an amount that isnt too much.. Is it a hand x thumb method or are there precise measurements made?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Apple

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #50 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Ohhh wow forgive me Sidney. I’m sorry I thought I had a hunting website..I was more concerned about the fact of 1080 over the whole public land estate, and ridding the areas of red deer...
But no silly me ..!
Sydney I know where I went wrong , I googled house and garden , instead of hunting...sorry.
So tell me , did u plant any carrots this year ? U could wash them in your carbon sink befor you put them where the sun doesn’t bleach them ..🐑👈

IP Logged

sidney
Forum Font

Reply #51 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 4:49pm:
sidney wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 11:23am:
There is not too much though is there.....  Output cannot exceed input

There is only to much in localised areas at times.

I have always said that land use should be rotated in and out of intensive pastural use to enhance long term sustainability.

As a matter of interest, how are the amounts of cow poo sprayed onto paddocks measured to give an amount that isnt too much.. Is it a hand x thumb method or are there precise measurements made?

I forget what the calculation is but its somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 of the total farm area that is usually allocated to effluent spreading under irrigation.  But every region may have slightly different specs...

"But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice!"  Nietzsche

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards