Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hunt Swap, Arizona for New Zealand (Read 843 times)
kwcreager
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Hunt Swap, Arizona for New Zealand
Dec 1st, 2018 at 6:02am
Print Post  
I would like to do some stag (and other species) hunting in NZ, but don't really now where to go. I live in Arizona in the United States and would be willing to do some trading.... 

anyone interested, or able to share some locations I might try out?  My wife is from NZ so we want to travel there and I'd like to make a hunt part of the trip  Smiley

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Hunt Swap, Arizona for New Zealand
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Cool offer. I would definitely be interested. Will message you.
You will need 5 posts before you can use message function though.

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
put some pics up of what you hunt etc, I'm sure you will get plenty of offers

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Just come over and let us all know you're here, and you'll get offers to be taken out. A swap hunt probably isn't high on most of our priority lists, most kiwi hunters would just take you for a hunt because we can.   Smiley

IP Logged

kwcreager
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:19am
Print Post  
that's awesome that someone would take us out if we come over, it's greatly appreciated.   Arizona has good mule deer and coues (desert whitetail) and great elk hunting, mostly you need to draw.  You can get an over-the-counter bow tag for deer though, and we have a pretty good area just north of Tucson AZ.  You can hunt that area in Jan, Aug/Sep and Dec.  They have both mule and coues deer there.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:54am
Print Post  
kwcreager wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:19am:
that's awesome that someone would take us out if we come over, it's greatly appreciated.   Arizona has good mule deer and coues (desert whitetail) and great elk hunting, mostly you need to draw.  You can get an over-the-counter bow tag for deer though, and we have a pretty good area just north of Tucson AZ.  You can hunt that area in Jan, Aug/Sep and Dec.  They have both mule and coues deer there.

When are you thinking of coming to NZ, and where are you hoping to visit? If you end up near Queenstown let me know.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 6:51am
Print Post  
kwcreager wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:19am:

Have sent you a PM. 

Personally I am not overly worried about pulling the trigger just as happy to get in on some good hunting. 

I watch plenty of Steve Rinella and Remi Warren some am interested in Elk and Mule Deer.  Have been through 8 States, Montana etc so have a feel for what I am up against.

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

kwcreager
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:40am
Print Post  
The best chance to draw is coues down in southern Arizona, this year we all got shots, missed a few Smiley  the Kaibab in northern AZ has trophy mule deer, i got a nice one a few weeks ago, but it took me 6 years to draw that tag.  It's also easier to get drawn for cow elk than for a bull.   The only over the counter tag you can buy is archery (Jan, Aug, Dec)

I want to plan a trip in March 2020, just before the Roar??  i heard if you come during the Roar some areas are restricted?  what would be the best time to come for Red Stag?  Also where is a big question, have no idea where to go, i.e. Queenstown, if it's good hunting I'd be happy to go there Smiley

IP Logged

kwcreager
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:43am
Print Post  
i guess i need 5 posts to get a PM Smiley

IP Logged

kwcreager
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:44am
Print Post  
what caliber is popular for Red Stag?  Fallow?  Also, how long is a typical shot?

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
kwcreager wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:40am:
The best chance to draw is coues down in southern Arizona, this year we all got shots, missed a few Smiley  the Kaibab in northern AZ has trophy mule deer, i got a nice one a few weeks ago, but it took me 6 years to draw that tag.  It's also easier to get drawn for cow elk than for a bull.   The only over the counter tag you can buy is archery (Jan, Aug, Dec)

I want to plan a trip in March 2020, just before the Roar??  i heard if you come during the Roar some areas are restricted?  what would be the best time to come for Red Stag?  Also where is a big question, have no idea where to go, i.e. Queenstown, if it's good hunting I'd be happy to go there Smiley

February / March onward will see Red, Sika and Fallow deer harden off.  Restricted areas are few, Fiordland comes to mind but I wouldn't travel from Elk to see more Elk if I was in your position.

Personally I am off a split view regarding the roar.  We don't operate any type of management system so there's the potential to encounter "I only hunt the roar types' or more people in general.   With that said the hunting certainly has plenty of action. 

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I've looked at hunting AZ but the rifle tags look very difficult to draw for a non-resident.  The only realistic option I see is OTC archery tags for deer and have heard that they are great tags for hunting in the rut.  Do you know how many points the southern AZ non resident coues deer tags are that you hunted?

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
kwcreager wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:44am:
what caliber is popular for Red Stag?  Fallow?  Also, how long is a typical shot?

7mm08, 308, 7mm Rem Mag - they all work fine.  Most be people are shooting under 250 yards.

IP Logged

kwcreager
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 6:19am
Print Post  
how do you upload pictures?

IP Logged

kwcreager
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 6:31am
Print Post  
regarding getting a tag, most of the trophy areas would take years to draw, but there are a few areas which have quite a few deer (few trophy ones) that you have about 25-50% chance to draw year 1, and if you apply a few years you should draw every 2-3 years.   Most of these are the early rifle hunts, area 33, 35B are areas we hunt.  Coues deer you have a little better odds.  Where my son got his Coues a few weeks ago, and all 4 hunters got shots (3 missed), 31 non-res apps and 11 tags drawn 1st hunt, 32 apps 18 drawn 2nd hunt, 42 and 25 3rd hunt.  Late hunt is the rut, hard to draw that one  Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards