Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wading Boots. (Read 271 times)
Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Wading Boots.
Nov 30th, 2018 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Hi Anglers.
Can anyone offer some advice on a good pair of non-slip wading boots?
Mine are slippery as-mainly due to wear and tear but also my knees ain't what they used to be-also due to wear and tear.
I'am heading down South after Xmas for a couple of months so need a good pair of boots. Also any advice on screw in cleats would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Re: Wading Boots.
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Hi Baz,
probably not the best advice, but I have two solutions that I use.
Thigh high waders (snowbee).  Great for in the car and whip on for a quick fish enroute somewhere.  Great grip through fields and in streams....Not so good for the deep stuff.

2nd option is a market standard hiking boot two sizes too big and insole removed. comfy and easy to walk in. you can also buy the slip on cleats that fit over the boots so only use when needed. and don't get worn out on longer walks.
Smiley

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Nomads.
Using a pair of hunting boots at the moment and finding it hard to stop the slippage.
The slip on cleats sound like a good idea.
Cheers.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

canadakiwi
Donor Member

Nothing is ever as simple
as we hope it will be

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 6:25am
Print Post  
I've got a few pr wading boots, normally I just wear my tramping boots unless cold, ie winter.
Best pr I've got is a pr sims G3 guide boots, I bought on a store closing sale in Canada, I've been wearing them out here in NZ, the last six weeks, and just put two pr thick socks and wear them like tramping boots most of the time, unless fishing the Tongariro, always cold that river.
The one advantage of the sims boots, is that you can by aluminum and carbide screws and tri cleats, ($50) for added traction, Ive put a few on mine, work very well,

IP Logged

Andy W
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I have recently purchased a pair of Patagonia Ultralight Sticky soled boots. They are very light - most enjoyable, but I have noted that they lack grip as my old boots had screws and to date I have not added to my new boots. The shop tried to talk me out of using them... When I say lack grip - in the rivers I had fished up to the recent rain, I was slipping a bit on the larger sized rocks. Small gravel no issue.

They will be getting about 26 or so screws per boot the first chance I get and not the ones from the fishing store. I have been using Maxim 6 gauge x 15 needle point self-piercing roofing screws - cost is closer to $0.05 ea.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks canadakiwi and Andy W for your posts. Gives me some food for thought.
I like the look of the Korker boots-they come with removable soles but I don't think they have a distributor in NZ.
Cheers.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

canadakiwi
Donor Member

Nothing is ever as simple
as we hope it will be

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
My other pr of wading boots is a pr of corkers, came with felt and a std tread soles, I've since thrown out the felt.
The removal soles are quite thin 5mm approx, so no hardware can be attached, with screws. perps with rivets.
I don't like that there's a cavity in behind the changeable sole that debris or origanic matter can accumulate and be transferred between waters.
However the boots are well made and functiable. I've had mine almost ten years.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
I did look at a YT video review of the Korker dark horse boots. They look good and have improved some of the features of the earlier made boots.
You make a good point about the  build up of debris between the soles but I think they have eliminated that problem now.
Will look further into Korkers and thanks for the info CK.
Cheers.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
OK, so Baz, plenty of good advice there my man.
Its up to me now to say that, despite having had a few gins, in the interests of populating the fishing pages- we will need to see drone footage of your choice of boots.  when you make it that is.
Smiley

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Nomads wrote on Dec 4th, 2018 at 9:29pm:
OK, so Baz, plenty of good advice there my man.
Its up to me now to say that, despite having had a few gins, in the interests of populating the fishing pages- we will need to see drone footage of your choice of boots.  when you make it that is.
Smiley

Will do Nomads.
The fishing pages seem to be a bit slow lately. Mind you the weather has been crap over the last month or so.
My last flight with the drone saw some blue smoke coming from one of the ESC's--speed controller--verdict -burnt out circuit.
Luckily I had just landed after flying over water. Awaiting replacement parts.
Flying a drone is getting restrictive. Concession needed if flying over DOC land--No flying over public roads without written authority. No flying over private land without permission. And no perving bikini's at the beach.  Roll Eyes
And to top it all off there are still idiots ignoring the 4km no fly zones at airports. They will be banned before long.
Cheers.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards