Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Subsonic 308 Load (Read 215 times)
Clubbie
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Subsonic 308 Load
Nov 29th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
I've been mucking around making a subsonic load for my 308 for hunting over my dog.
Here's a look at the terminal ballistics on goats.

https://youtu.be/LN_AM5VqkyY

YouTube  
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Subsonic 308 Load
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
interesting how trail boss loads seem to break all the rules compared to other powders..... eg a 150grn subsonic loading in .308 seems to be around the 7-8grn of powder range yet the 200grn around 10grns

supersonic with normal powders the weight of powder goes down as weight of projectile goes up.....

IP Logged

TCedes

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Very cool, have a mate wanting to do the same but with his 7mm08.

TCedes

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Dec 1st, 2018 at 7:26pm:
interesting how trail boss loads seem to break all the rules compared to other powders..... eg a 150grn subsonic loading in .308 seems to be around the 7-8grn of powder range yet the 200grn around 10grns

supersonic with normal powders the weight of powder goes down as weight of projectile goes up.....

Yes, but with normal supersonic loads you are trying to keep pressure within safe limits, so you need to reduce powder charge as bullet weight goes up. Subsonic you don't have high pressure issues, so you can add more powder to keep velocity the same (heavier bullet needs more push to achieve the same speed)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards