Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Big hill ruahines (Read 497 times)
Stretch
Donor Member

Big hill ruahines
Nov 27th, 2018 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Kia ora,

I have a big hill permit in a couple of weeks time.  I've never been in there before.
Anyone got any tips/tricks for the area? Road conditions, areas to avoid etc.

I plan to walk a decent distance from the road and fly camp.

Feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Stretch

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Big hill ruahines
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Hey mate there is a bit of info from google. this from a few years back. but you get the idea.  good luck young fella.

Just out of interest anyone been up through Big Hill in the last few weeks? If so what is the condition of the road? And are were there many deer spotted/shot?
Yep - was up there last weekend for three days- getting tru the station was easy - but the first run from the farm up to ruahine hut was rutted up by the rain - we where in 4wd ute to ruahine hut as we where towing a quad - the other party that followed had a 2wd hi ace van and they stuck chains on and where towing a quad - they got half way up the first bit between the farm and ruahine hut and had to leave the trailer on the zig zag bit as they snapped there chains - once they ditched the quad and trailer they got van to no mans hut

From No mans to Whites is quad bike material there's big deep ruts behind No mans hut up to the main ridge

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Seems like quite the ordeal when the Ruahine's are just down the road or am I missing something?

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 7:01am
Print Post  
You have to be going in there for the experience, as there's a whole lot of deer in the Ruahines a whole lot easier to get Grin

As you get older you will find that you have been walking past heaps of easy deer as you "get way out the back to where they really are" Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Stretch
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Cheers for the replies guys.

Any hunt is an experience XR, I donít want to get too lazy by not doing enough walking! Freezers stacked at the moment with easy deer  Wink

Plus seeing a new area is a reward in itself.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Yep, know the place well. But that was when I was young and fit. Got some $25/ a skin possums off those ridges close by.....back 40 years ago now!
Good money in them hills Smiley
Pleased I took some box brownie photos to remember the place by Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards