Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Waikaremoana camping (Read 1228 times)
Hicksville

If yer can't fish in heaven,
I don't wanna go!

Waikaremoana camping
Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Whoa, it's been a long time since I've posted on here. Bloody amazing I could figure out how to log on  Cheesy
I've got my teenage boy and his mate to entertain for a few days, and was thinking of (boat) tripping around Waikaremoana, fishing the lake edge. I've just had a knee surgery, so I can't get too adventurous. Just wondering what the story is with camping around the lake? I've never been before. Can you just rock up anywhere, or do you need to stick to the designated campsites and (shudder) pay.
Looks like a bit of a weather window next week where my little tinny won't get blown around too much.
Cheers

Oooo! Look, is that an alpacca?

IP Logged

Sikahill
Forum Senior

Life is a journey,not
a destination-Enjoy the
ride

Re: Waikaremoana camping
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Hi mate
Your options are camp at home bay for $ but with facilities. Same goes for designated sites on the great walk .
stay off the Maori land - a few sites here and there
Stay out of the kiwi reserves
Other than that itís a free for all
Enjoy NZ at its best

IP Logged

Hicksville

I don't wanna go!

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Splendid. Thanks Sikahill

IP Logged

scotty162

wandering the ureweras
since 1992

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Stump bay is an awesome place quite a few camp sites there

IP Logged

Wildtrail

Aim for a hunt

Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
You can buy tickets before you go and stay at the campsites along the great walk but elsewhere on the western side of the lake you are supposed to be 500 metres from the track to set up a camp. The eastern side of the western arm such as Stump bay is different as the track is well away from that area. There is also a nice camp at Mokau Landing that can be driven to for camping with a small fee in the honesty box and has a boat launching ramp there but narrow winding gravel road access. Check that weather again as the lake can come up a bit rough at times.

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 12:57am
Print Post  
don't upset the locals  Grin Grin

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Hi Hicksville.
Some nice camping posies through the narrows and around the stump bay area. Might pay to check if permits are needed for camp fires.
Could still be some areas to avoid where lagarosiphon weed has been found-but notices at boat ramps will advise.
You should pick up a few cruising browns patrolling the edges.
Tight lines Stu.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Hicksville

I don't wanna go!

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Cheers gentlemen!
I've been having a bit of a rethink, and think it would be prudent for me to check in to one of the huts for a couple of nights, the kids will get to stay free. (Can't fathom why the kids stay free for the great lake walk, but need a youth pass for a normal DOC hut). The forecast is for rain, but it doesn't look like much wind so the fishing should still be OK, but probably not the best tenting weather with a crook knee. I can just kick back in the hut and the kids can go wild. Will be good to suss the area out though for better weather. Thanks for your input.
Kids will be excited. I'm picking them up this afternoon after a couple of nights up the Mohaka, so they'll be tired, but excited. Keep them busy eh!
I'll post some pics

IP Logged

RGH
Just Joined

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
We camped and hunted Stump Bay a year ago and in the middle of the night spotlighters on a boat cruised past, very unnerving and we kept out of sight. It seems it's the local thing to do! Fekin dangerous I'd say!!

IP Logged

scotty162

wandering the ureweras
since 1992

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
If you are going to stay at a hut go to whanganui it doesn't get to many trampers and the hunting behind it is pretty good

IP Logged

jakkos
Forum Senior

There is one stop after
the trigger is pulled

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:51am
Print Post  
I agree with using the Whanganui hut as a base. good access to the Hoprohine delta area for fishing. was there a few weeks ago. A couple arrived to stay the night. they went for a fish right out in front of the hut. caught a nice fish. Hunting can be productive in the area but most of the lake is that way. If you put your boat in at the Mokau inlet and there are guys at the hut there, dont be shy to ask them for any tips on the current fishing conditions. We got some really good advice from a couple of the guys there and ame away with good fish. Take heaps of photos.. Enjoy the place. Wink

be good...And careful

IP Logged

Nirok
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Great place, just bear in mind that 1st of December is opening season and previously it's been known to get well packed out especially the rivers. Productive areas this time of the year is to target cruising browns along the edges of the lake and in rivers. There will be quite a few up the rivers but these are usually well fished out from a handful of fisherman who aim to hit that on the dot opening day. if you want to do some easy cast fishing sit on a point where there is a drop off and cast a couple of flies, hamill killers do really well up there and also H and C's. You will mainly catch the rainbows doing point fishing but browns also cruise the edges for sight fishing. Remoteness is the key but there are a lot of fish around. Some of the best fishing I have done is during the worst weather often in high winds I will shelter on the calm side of a point casting into the disturbed water and let it drift with the wind, you will be amazed at what comes out of the deep. Browns will also be seen in very rough water crusing the extreme edge often with there fins out of the water, I believe they do this to gather insects etc which are washing off the rocks and use the waves to get up and down the rocks. It can be some crazy fun fishing, struggling with the wind and dropping your flies virtually on the rocks. Boat fishing, we used to do alot but it often takes a long time to catch fish outside the magic hours. If you find that you aren't getting anything in the boat, you should consider finding a remote point and trying from land. If you can get across to the bluffs that is a lot of fun as well, the only issue I would say with the Whanganui hut is it's location with regards to getting around the lake via boat and weather. If the weather isn't great getting up and down the Hoprohine arm can be tough as it can get effected badly with weather. If you go through the narrows and into a hut on the otherside you may open yourself up to some nicer bays etc which may suit boat fishing more. However like others have said they normally are packed out. But enjoy yourself it is an amazing lake and the locals are all good

IP Logged

johnd
Donor Member

I Love The smell of gunpowder

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Check the Tuhoi web site to book a campsite if camping within 500 M of the great walk track ( 1/2 the track is closed at present and stump bay is a closed area.)
So it would pay to have a good look at the web site on where you can go once out of the boat.

Try one of the huts as they are pretty good, if you are in a boat take some wood

IP Logged

Wildtrail

Aim for a hunt

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 9:23am
Print Post  
[quote author=787D7A7C76120 link=1543086389/12#12 date=1543585334]and stump bay is a closed area.)
Just checked the Tuhoe hunting area map and the Stump Bay area is currently open to hunting so must have only been a temporary closure.

IP Logged

Hicksville

I don't wanna go!

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the info! We ended up not going there, but instead went off to Otamangakau. Small boat, small lake. I was a bit worried with the forecast, so had a change of plan.

I thought we had a little weather window, but arrived at the lake in torrential rain, then found we couldn't drive to our camp spot, they've shut the road off, and had to make a couple of trips boating our gear so we could camp for the night. Not the ideal way to start a trip.

So having just had knee surgery, I had to take things easy, and just basically let the young fella do the fishing. He started off OK, hooking a bloody doozy, but lost it at the net, thankfully not due to my shitty netting skills. Late on day one, he finally managed to score a few small rainbows and was happy to get off the mark.
Day 2 was a bit better, and he scored his PB Brown, although smaller than the one he dropped the day before. Tough fishing, but who cares, good times.
Saw some pretty massive fish, so that might have me going back there in favour of Waikaremoana Cheesy
So here's a few pics to sum the trip up. Yeah, a fishing trip, but seems how I asked the Q here, I thought the best spot to post.
Cheers gents!

Doc said to keep the knee elevated, and don't let it get wet. Gotcha.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards