Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 30cal Sierra Gamechangers. (Read 449 times)
Goodog
Just Joined

6 weeks on 6 weeks off

30cal Sierra Gamechangers.
Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Just wondering if anyone has done any reloads for 308 or 30-06 & used them in the field.
Haven't found much on the net & as always mixed opinions & results.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: 30cal Sierra Gamechangers.
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Both are highly popular calibres. Just use any well known reloading data. Go sierra gamekings 150 or 165grain in 308 and 150 .165 .180 grain in 30-06. Just work to mild velocity loads in either cartidge and you will achieve great accuracy and reliable bullet performance out to all practical hunting ranges.

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

Goodog
Just Joined

6 weeks on 6 weeks off

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Thanks for that, I've been struggling with my Savage Light weight hunter 16" barrel .308, I was using factory 150gr of various brands but had heaps of trouble with stringing with all of them, by chance I put Fiocchi 165gr with the Serria Game Kings & it started grouping so might be better with heavier projectiles. I have read mixed results about the knock down using the Game Kings, I will only be shooting out to max 300m.
Interestingly I was talking to someone reciently & they were having the same problem with their .308 Mossberg with the 150gr but went away with the 165gr projectile.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
you will read mixed results on projectile preformance because fellas like to have something to blame and will only write about it if something goes wrong..... plenty of deer etc get shot sucessfully and you will never hear about it..... if you using a hard/stout projectile at slow velocity it may well pencil through...hit major shoulder bones and all will be good
flip side use soft projectile fast and it may blow up,slide it in boiler room or head/neck and all will be good

if it shoots well in your rifle you will have confidence in it,you place your shot correctly and your freezer will be full. if YOU dont and co*k it up with piss poor placement......it wont be the projectile choice to blame.

when you say stringing...what are you talking???? shots walking up target with progressive shots,getting higher as you continue/barrel heats up...how much are you talking 2-3" over 10 shots or 6" over 3 shots.....its the first one that matters,my earliest nosler manual suggests when sighting in to take time with first shot then follow up with 2 quick ones to give a realistic/real world type group....I cant really fault the logic of that FOR A HUNTING RIFLE.

IP Logged

Goodog
Just Joined

6 weeks on 6 weeks off

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 5:49am
Print Post  
I have been shooting at a range at a bench using bags & rest, I have put about 100 rounds through the rifle using factory Winchester power point & Ficcohi psp & sst the stringing is generally on a rough diagonal of anywhere from 2-4" 3 shots with suppressor on or off. I let the barrel cool down between shots & the scope & stock have been tourqued, I have used the factory plastic stock & bought a Boyds stock with similar results.
When I put the Ficcohi 165gr with the Sierra GK down this settled down to triangle anywhere from just over an inch to 3 shots touching.
That's why I'm looking at trying some reloading with some heavier projectiles to see if I can get more consistanicy & have more confidence when using this rifle, the other person I mentioned in the previous post has been shooting & hunting for over 40 years & works in a gun shop he said that his 308 wouldn't group until he went to a heavier weight projectile as his rifle didn't like the 150gr either. I'm just trying to get the rifle to shoot straight before I even look at pointing it at an animal.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:54am
Print Post  
ok sounds like you given it a good bash......have you let someone else try shooting a group with it to eliminate the human factor???
double grouping usually bedding, verticle stringing heating up....diagonal....COULD be shooting technique. the 165grn load MIGHT just bounce rifle differently??? clutching at straws here but its worth checking out.
never had a rifle that strings on diagonal before,someone on here will KNOW what causes it.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:13am
Print Post  
An inch or so group at 100m from a light hunting bbl i not too bad at all. If you go reloads keep mv moderate with 165s and bbl vibrations will reduce further. An inch  or moa is ok right noe though .

IP Logged

Goodog
Just Joined

6 weeks on 6 weeks off

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 8:13am
Print Post  
I'm happy if I can do consistent 1" @ 100m as mostly going to be a bush gun, I just want to be happy that each time I pick it up I won't be wondering where will this one go.
I did think about the thin barrel & harmonics if that would be causing a problem but it was the same with suppressor on.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Looks like yr fiocchi 165sgk's are good as Smiley

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
try a box of 180 grn winchester..... its weird but when you have them and the 150s ,it feels like the 150s boot more,the 180s is more of a shove and the terminal preformance of them is simply awesome...nothing to loose and for a bush load they would be my pick hands down for factory load (I reload so went with 180grn rn hornady as its the closest I can find preformance wise)

IP Logged

Gibson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
I don't know how to load, as I have a friend who does loads for me. However, I have been using Sierra .30 Caliber/7.62mm (.308) 150 gr. SBT in my 308 for the past 12 months and my experience with them follows (after getting a load to shoot well).

Within 200m, on deer and pigs, they are great and tend to mushroom well and do the damage provided you place the shot well.

I have noticed on two deer (one stag and one hind) that I've shot during the year, one at 350m and one at 400m that the bullet still penetrated and did the trick but the wound channel was much smaller - so less room for poor shot placement.

At the muzzle it does around 2550fps.

I have a feeling that as the velocity gets lower the shell may have trouble expanding on those longer shots. But for all purposes, it got the job done Smiley

Cheers

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Mate, I dont think you have a problem really.

IP Logged

Goodog
Just Joined

6 weeks on 6 weeks off

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I do like the 180gr out of my 30-06 so might give them a try as well, stuck at sea so will have to wait till the end of Dec.

On a side note dose anyone know if there is any problem bringing ammo or projectiles in you baggage with Air NZ coming back from the states.

Thanks for all the input.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
mate has just comeback from there with ammo in luggage,declared it and was no issue....DECLARE it and there is no question of you trying to pull a swifty.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards