Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ruger Ar 556 (Read 534 times)
flyingpillock

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Ruger Ar 556
Nov 17th, 2018 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone on here has one of the Ruger 556ís?
Be interested to hear the good and the bad, Iím down sizing from a bolt action as I think my hunting days are behind me and looking for something to muck around with on informal ranges?

Cheers

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Re: Ruger Ar 556
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Iíve had one in my possession and liked it for accuracy but they arenít lightweight especially after putting on a descent scope & then the suppressor where it weighed a bit but not as heavy as my old SLR L1A1

There piston operated which adds to the weight, this is a good design fir a battle rifle but for hunting here in NZ itís not that much of a battle feild.

Personally if I was looking for a AR type rifle Iíd either built my own as there a lego rifle or look at a lightweight option... I was looking at the S&W M&P rifles but thereís so many to choose from

ďWe do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

flyingpillock

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Cheers, yeah Iíve been looking and umming and ahhhing over them for a few months, checked a couple out in store with the Hera stocks but bare bones in terms of scopes or suppressors and thought they were ok weight wise and really kind of dinky in size but checked out a scope rifle package last week and had a change of heart, surprised how much such a small rifle with a scope weighed. Would be looking to put an Armorworx A cat stock on later so guess might drop a few grams.
That all said it would just be carried from my truck to the shooting bench on most of its outings.
There are sooooo many AR options out there, but Iím on a bit of a budget and the 1:8 twist appeals for heavier bullets in case I do want to take it bush.

IP Logged

dogmatix
Forum Font

FnH member since 2005

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
What is your budget and where do you intend buying the Ruger from?

Welcome to Sako club.

IP Logged

Digit
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 6:17am
Print Post  
For not much more than the Ruger, NZAR15 can build a decent custom rifle with a ballistic advantage premium 1:8 barrel.
For a factory gun the Ruger is not good value. There's much better options out there for less.

Industry Antagonist
IP Logged

flyingpillock

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Hey again

Well to be honest the $1800 that the Ruger goes for is about my max, Iíd been wanting an Ar for a few years and for some reason had decided on a Windham but never seemed to have the spare $2500 plus in my pocket. Looking to pick up at one of the Akl stores as I get up there for work a bit.
Have heard custom/build your own can be better and sometimes cheaper but a little unsure of that side of things. Have scoured you tube ad nauseam for reviews, all seem to say the same thing about the Ruger, a decent budget, entry level rifle.
The only cons were a couple of cycling issues with one review and an indication that it could be prone to light surface dusting.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Pity I didn't see this earlier, I just sold one in mint condition, with CQR stock, scoped with spare parts and three mags for $1500! Haha. I liked it for what I used it for, but they are heavy and not the most ergonomic rifle to carry around. Mine shot mint, and never had a jam or misfire.

IP Logged

flyingpillock

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Bugger! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Digit
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
The Rugers and Windhams are massively overpriced in NZ. We sell the Windhams for around $1000 less than HF.
Windhams are very over rated too. They are still stuck on a format that was popular 10 years ago, and have hangovers from the bushmaster days like commercial buffer tubes.
I think our Windhams are currently priced at $1699. We sell better guns for less too.

Industry Antagonist
IP Logged

nseagoon
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
I've built a few AR platforms and they are anywhere between; lighter than an unloaded Tikka T3 through to same weight as an L1A1.

What Digit recommended is my suggestion in terms of sorting a custom build to suit your purposes but perhaps don't buy the premium/most expensive product for some parts..
for example One useful thing NZAR15 has is a bunch of triggers mounted on pistol grips to try.
I've seen them at a few expos.
The most expensive doesn't always mean the best or most fit for purpose.
Some spend hundreds on a part then find they aren't fit for purpose.

for example The trigger I've found most fit for my purpose is a factory MILSPEC trigger with a $10 JP Enterprises spring set.
In two lowers I have a crisp 3.5lb pull and zero creep.
Another has 4lb pull and only the slightest creep.
A mate splashed out $700 on a trigger and while light and ergonomic it has slight creep and required more money spent on locks for the trigger pins to stop them walking out.

WHen I started out I had a browse of various models and people at the range let me try various setups.
I then found basically what I was after online.
I then bought the parts fairly close to that model.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards