Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Magtoxin (Read 543 times)
MADMAX
Donor Member

Its not the size but where
you put it that counts!

Magtoxin
Nov 12th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Can anyone tell me where i can buy Magtoxin for fumigating bunny holes.thanks MM

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Magtoxin
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 10:32am
Print Post  
You can buy the small container without a license at any Farmstore.

Farmlands, Wrightsons.  etc..  It they are not stocking it go to the next one..

Dont breath in any fumes as a good wiff wont kill you but its highly unpleasant..

The tablets do slowly turn to dust as they age, especially if left in a glove box for a while so when you open the cap to dribble out a few do stand with your body side on to the wind and arm stretched out a bit so the dust blows away from you too. Standing with the back to the wind creates an eddy which can bing dust back toward face do side on works best...

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

MADMAX
Donor Member

you put it that counts!

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks Headcase , Farmlands Otaki have them $52.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Carry a squirty bottle with you Max and some news papers in a small backpack. I tear of a hand size bit of newspaper and use that to make a small cup to empty a few tablets into, then twist the end to make a small package.

The package get delivered down the hole and water squirted onto it. A couple sheets of newspaper are then stuffed into the burrow to make a relatively airtight seal. Walk away and check the next day. If the newspaper has been pushed aside a rabbit has come in later so repeat poison that burrow..

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

MADMAX
Donor Member

you put it that counts!

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info Headcase. Two tablets enough for a standard sized burrow .
Talked to a guy the other day that said he puts them on wet wipes instead of toilet /news paper. MM

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
I usually go about 3-4 tablets unless its a very big warren and Ive only managed to block of some of the holes in. In that case Ill get everything ready and working fast and up wind direction put several packages down several holes in a short time and then stand back with a shotgun in the hand.  Grin

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Nov 15th, 2018 at 7:31am:
Carry a squirty bottle with you Max and some news papers in a small backpack. I tear of a hand size bit of newspaper and use that to make a small cup to empty a few tablets into, then twist the end to make a small package.

The package get delivered down the hole and water squirted onto it. A couple sheets of newspaper are then stuffed into the burrow to make a relatively airtight seal. Walk away and check the next day. If the newspaper has been pushed aside a rabbit has come in later so repeat poison that burrow..

so you dont have to seal entrances with clods of dirt? 
Guy I was helping out got me to put scrunched paper in and then seal with dirt, and 1 entrance we stuck some 32mm poly pipe a wee way in then chucked a few Magtox down then a squirt of water. when the pipe got pulled out quickly paper and dirt the entrance.
Paper only would be far quicker and less labour intensive.

Also dont be a clown like my mate and open the magtox conainer in the rain  Shocked  quick way to shit your pants and waste 50bux  Cheesy

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Grubbing them closed it the recommended way but Its way way faster to carry a bundle of newspapers and using a double sheet gently with your hand in the centre of the open paper push it into the hole. That provides a pretty good seal.  I think it brings good results but youd have to decide for yourself.  Smiley

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
just tried to buy some from Farmlands and they wont sell it to me unless I am a licenced applicator - has anyone got any other ideas?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
You must have looked a bit dodgy.  Grin

Seriously, You have every right to buy the smaller containers. 

Just go to another supplier, or buy it online.

https://keyindustries.co.nz/View-A-Product/ID/681

Someone where you are trying to buy it needs to take the walnut out from between their buttocks.

Magtoxin Pellets 100g Part No: VTA-MAG01 A ready to use HIGHLY TOXIC fumigant pill packed in aluminium flasks for treating Rabbit burrows.

Contains 660g/kg magnesium phosphide developing 330g/kg phosphine for the effective control of rabbits.

Magtoxin reacts with moisture in the air and soil, so when placed down inside rabbit burrows, it will produce a heavier than air gas (phosphine)that travels through the full length of burrow.

Estimate the size of the burrow in cubic metres and apply pellets at a rate of 2g phosphine, sealing all entrances to burrow.

ALWAYS READ THE LABEL AND WEAR APPROPRIATE PROTECTIVE GEAR.

Available in 100gm or 1kg flask.

A Controlled Substance Licence is required for 3 kilogram or more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards