Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 7mm rem mag options (Read 107 times)
TCedes

7mm rem mag options
Nov 9th, 2018 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Hoping you guys can shed some light on the pills you are using. Application will be red stags and bull tahr. 1:8 twist so im thinking heavy will be the go. The 180 eld-m makes me nervous at close going at speed so was wondering if anyone had been using the 175 eld-x and how have you found performance in close and out past 500? Any other "do it all pills" you think are worth a thought?

Cheers

TCedes

IP Logged

i_e
Forum Senior

Re: 7mm rem mag options
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Youíll get the 180 eld-m doing around 2800fps now based on my experience with the 162ís youíll be fine.. I never had a 162 do anything silly under 3000 fps... I havenít used the 180 yet so itís only speculation but itís what Iíll be loading soon.. 1-8 twist will be mint for this bullet !

alcohol doesn't agree with me , but i sure do enjoy the argument!

IP Logged

TCedes

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply i_e. Would love to get the 180's going, the 162s have worked a treat out of my 7mm08 even at close range so maybe ill stick to the eldms. Be keen to hear from anyone using the eldxs in 7mm rem mag and how they have gone!

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 8:20am
Print Post  
180s will be fine at close range, but 8 twist is quite aggressive for a soft jacketed projectile like that (mine has 8.7 twist).
Shouldn't be a problem unless you push them too hard (you should get 2800-2850 fps).
I'd try the 180s and see if your rifle likes them.
If not, the 175s would be a good option too.
I keep reading about "bullet blow up" that suggests the pieces just disappear, but 180 grains of jacket, cup and lead will still penetrate and cause significant damage. That's what makes the ELD-M so good at long range. On bull tahr rear lung shots would provide better penetration than shoulder shots at close range if you are still concerned.

Good luck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards