Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic young fellas hunting (Read 523 times)
sar
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

young fellas hunting
Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Some local keen young guys tramped into Leaches clearing.DOC land ..they had dogs and managed to get a huge boar with a massive jaw.They dragged the boar to the main walking track and covered it with ferns,to collect later.Where it was is about a 3 hour carry.They got phone reception and next morning  2 fit pig hunting Dads came to help with the carry.They had trouble finding the boar,eventually found it thrown over a bank with the jaw cut out.Turns out 3 locals have been plundering that area with a hughes300.They knew the pig was there and had gone to catch it,but found the carcase instead...they pinched the jaw and threw the pig over the bank.Two of these guys are older hunters .I guess its a sign of our mechanized age that some can turn hours of walking into minutes of flight.The young guys got their jaw back,through a fair bit of local knowledge.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Re: young fellas hunting
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Pretty poor behavior from these guys considering the amount of effort the young fellas put in to walk that distance and secure the boar. Angry
Make sure they are not put off hunting from a one off bad experience.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
I used to hunt that area quite a bit, was a bit of a tradition of mine to flycamp in the clearing on Queens Birthday weekend before the hut was built.
Did the helicopter have landing rights? I would be kicking up a stink with DOC if they don't.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 8:27am
Print Post  
The only rule in the pig hunting community is that there are no rules.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Also might be worth mentioning to the Te Kuiti Pighunting Club, if the thieves (not really any other word for it) are members the committee may not be too impressed by their behaviour.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards