Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tikka 284 Superpig Video (Read 366 times)
stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Tikka 284 Superpig Video
Nov 6th, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
I made a video of my latest rifle being my Tikka 7mm08 converted into a 284 winchester. I waffle on about it a bit but hopefully it will interest some of you. Cheers.

https://youtu.be/RuNgM6LRjgo

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

7mm08bushpig
Donor Member

Re: Tikka 284 Superpig Video
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Hey mate cool vid, I watch most of yours on YouTube now keep it up.
I built a 284 tikka last year with gunworks also.. same same but went with a 20Ē tikka barrel and had it fluted. Also had the top of my receiver milled out too. Like you said weight reduction but mainly aesthetics was my reason haha
Vortex viper on a moa rail and a Hardyís gen6 can
Iím pushing a 150 eld-x along with re17 at 3050 and itís deadly so far!
Cheers

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
That sounds like an awesome little rig alright mate! Barrel fluting and milling the receiver is definitely something I might look at down the track if I have some more $$ to throw at it. Thanks for watching 👍🏻

YouTube  
IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Good vid thanks.

If anyone else fancies a T3 .284 Win, Dave Ward in Dovedale reamed mine out no problem last year.

I reckon outside neck turning and bushing neck dies would sort your groups and ES out. Cases only need to be turned once to even the necks out. Spend your money on that gear instead of on fluting that will save you a few grams for $300. I'm off work after surgery currently so will turn your cases for you if you send them to me and pay the postage.

Cheers

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Forgot to say I get .6 MOA 5 shot groups with mine (when I'm concentrating).

You would also likely do better if you held the forend of your rifle and controlled recoil better. Getting rid of the bipod and shooting over a bag would help too. Bipods on concrete are not good.

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 9:28am
Print Post  
J wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 6:58pm:
Good vid thanks.

If anyone else fancies a T3 .284 Win, Dave Ward in Dovedale reamed mine out no problem last year.

I reckon outside neck turning and bushing neck dies would sort your groups and ES out. Cases only need to be turned once to even the necks out. Spend your money on that gear instead of on fluting that will save you a few grams for $300. I'm off work after surgery currently so will turn your cases for you if you send them to me and pay the postage.

Cheers

What sort of bushing die would you recommend? Iím currently using a redding FL die for the rem mag and an RCBS FL die for the 284.

I will try and get out to the farm and shoot some targets at range and see how they go at distance accuracy wise. If I run into troubles I will certainly take you up on that offer thank you! We have just had baby number 2 so finding time will be against me for a wee bit haha.

YouTube  
IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I use a Redding comp collet neck sizing die, but they are costly. The Lee precision collet dies are good too and much cheaper.

If your reloads won't group at 100 they won't be accurate at longer ranges either.

If you send me 50 cases I will turn and neck size them for you to try. I only lightly skim them by 1 thou or so and it only needs to be done once.

Cheers

IP Logged

Grunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2018 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
J wrote on Nov 10th, 2018 at 6:43pm:
I use a Redding comp collet neck sizing die, but they are costly. The Lee precision collet dies are good too and much cheaper.

If your reloads won't group at 100 they won't be accurate at longer ranges either.

If you send me 50 cases I will turn and neck size them for you to try. I only lightly skim them by 1 thou or so and it only needs to be done once.

Cheers

I have searched and can't find any info on Reddings collet dies.  I have Redding neck dies and Lee collet neck dies, would be interested in learning about Redding collet dies.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Shit - I meant bushing neck die - sorry. I blame Tramadol and lack of sleep.
Gives 2 thou of neck tension on pre-turned necks with the bushing I have.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards