Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Upper Otoko tahr block (Read 1209 times)
Stevelikesahunt

Wish for more time hunting
and less time working!

Upper Otoko tahr block
Nov 5th, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Hey team,

After any info on this block as have drawn it for winter next year. A google search only seems to reveal an old post from here which is, well, somewhat uninspiring.

We are pretty committed to going and making the most of the oppurtunity but any info to give us a heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Happy to help with info about the Lambert.

Cheers, Steve

IP Logged

Valbi
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Upper Otoko tahr block
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Hi Steve I was in that block about 5 years ago Tahr numbers were not high an choppers were hunting the area on a regular basis.
The camp site was near the head of the valley in a small clearing. It would pay to mark the track out to the river with ribbon as it can be difficult to find in the dark. It is a typical glacier valley. Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Stevelikesahunt

and less time working!

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Hey mate,

Thanks for that, appreciate the info.

As it turns out it is looking like we will skip this year, having been in touch with DOC it looks like we can expect AATH flights through the block during our period. Unfortunately this was in the fine print of the application. The one guy to hunt the block during this years ballot received 9 flights throughout his period.

We were keen to go for the experience even given the low numbers but if we are going to be have choppers shooting the animals out from under us I think we will spend our $$ elsewhere.

Appreciate the reply though mate.

Steve

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 12:35am
Print Post  
What period do you have it for Steve?

IP Logged

Stevelikesahunt

and less time working!

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 2:33am
Print Post  
Hey Josh,

Period 7 mate. Have been told by DOC to expect some action on the AATH front.

Cheers, Steve

IP Logged

zxreindeer

Wish I was hunting

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Aerial operators
The right to fly recreational hunters into these sites will be issued to approved operators. Hunters are free to select a servicing operator from this list. Operators not appearing on the list may not be used.

AATH Aerial-Assisted Trophy Hunting
Aerial-assisted trophy hunting using a helicopter will be permitted in the Wilderness Areas during part of the ballot period, usually the last 1-2 weeks usually from the 14 June 31 August.

Apart from this, no helicopter wild-animal carcass or live recovery for deer, chamois or tahr is allowed during the ballot period in the Wilderness Areas If you see any of this happening, record as much information as possible including helicopter registration (numbers and letters displayed on the machine) photos or video footage, and report this to the nearest DOC office as soon as possible so there can be an investigation.

Now it does say the last 1-2 weeks buttt Period 4 & 5 I have had a chopper or two in my block. Told DOC about it and a big fat fkall was done about it. We even filmed it.

Living the Dream
IP Logged

Stevelikesahunt

and less time working!

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Yea we were happy to go even with low numbers in the block but when we are spending the better part of a grand (petrol, chopper, food etc) on getting in there having choppers as well was a bit too much.

Pretty stink I reckon when for the sake of holding them off 2 weeks then both types of users are catered for. You would think DOC would be all for that given ballot hunters and AATH are both knocking numbers down at no expense to them

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
doc dont have to earn momey like us,,they just steal it from the great slush fund so in reality its of no matter to them as long as they are on the path to achieving their greater picture
ae get rid of all introduced animals and take your rifles away as part of the greater govt policy

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Stevelikesahunt wrote on Nov 17th, 2018 at 10:14am:
Yea we were happy to go even with low numbers in the block but when we are spending the better part of a grand (petrol, chopper, food etc) on getting in there having choppers as well was a bit too much.

Pretty stink I reckon when for the sake of holding them off 2 weeks then both types of users are catered for. You would think DOC would be all for that given ballot hunters and AATH are both knocking numbers down at no expense to them

I'd probably go if it was earlier in the piece, but 7th period is getting on a bit. Been in there before and we have it 2nd or 3rd period this year, so will go back in for a look. It is a nice valley.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards