Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bergara Scout, info please (Read 499 times)
outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Bergara Scout, info please
Oct 31st, 2018 at 4:52pm
Print Post  

I'm seriously considering buying one of these (in 243). Just after some feedback from those who own or have used one, particularly a 243, but mainly wanting positives and negatives about the rifle rather than the caliber.

I intend to use the rifle purely for camp meat during an extended walk about exploring the Southern alps. What appeals to me is that I can easily take it down and stow it in my pack for times when I'm needing to use public transport, busy touristy areas, and also in towns when re-supplying.

Also after recommendations for a compact and probably long eye relief scope that would be suitable. Thinking most shots will be under 100m but may stretch out to 200m max.

I'm already set up with a variety of other more suitable firearms for serious hunting trips.

Cheers 

IP Logged

littlemorepork
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Bergara Scout, info please
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 5:57am
Print Post  
Sorry, canīt report from own experience but itīs a rifle Iīm considering myself. Lotīs of hunters over here a very happy with it.
Bergaras have a reputation of being well made for the money and shoot very precise! The new model would be the B13 takedown which has superseded the Scout!
Hope this is of any help!

Cheers
LMP

IP Logged

outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 4:16pm
Print Post  

Thanks for that LMP. Yes I see now the model has changed.

I've also heard reasonably good reports about them, just want to be certain before commiting.

Cheers

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Ive 1 in .223, shortend to 16 and half, super acurate, heavy barrel, um only thing is it is a bit heavy.

IP Logged

outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  

Thanks bufferzone, yes they do appear to be reasonably heavy for what the are. I don't know if I'll find anything much lighter though, was looking at Baikals but my understanding is they're no longer made.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
was wondering if the 44mag is lighter, having a bigger hole?

IP Logged

outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  

Hahaha, I would say you'd be right about that  Grin

Unfortunately I'd like my hole to be a bit smaller. Good thought though.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Nice wee rifles. Some Scouts seem to have issues with POA changing depending on how hard you close them. My one didn't. The take down models are just too heavy and it really takes away any advantage of having one. I looked at a 308 that a mate had recently and it weighs an absolute ton!! The 44 mag is still very heavy. I think you could buy a Baikal and doctor it right up and get a much lighter rifle. Almost no one is making a really good light weight take down rifle that I can see. The only really good one is the Scott Trail single shot 7.62x39 take down. About three pounds and very accurate. That is a rifle that actually fits the bill. It is a honey!

IP Logged

outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  

Unfortunately as you say sneaka, nothing seems to be ideal.

I've looked at the Baikals, they do seem to be a bit lighter, finding one in 243 seems to be the issue as from what I understand no one is importing them at the moment. Heard rumour the single shots are no longer made by Baikal but not sure how accurate that is.

Do you know where a Scott Trail could be sourced from?

IP Logged

littlemorepork
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Another rifle that might fit the bill would be the
Haenel Jaeger 9 though it might not be in the desired price bracket. It`s available in .243 as well.
https://www.cg-haenel.de/jaeger-en/

Cheers
LMP

IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 6:21am
Print Post  
I gave up in the end and went with a light weight bolt action. I went for a Howa Mini which has worked out very well. It has a light weight action and barrel. There is very little extra length with this set up over a single shot. I got Stug to make a carbon fibre stock for me which is a great wee unit. You could get it done as a blind magazine and use it as a single shot. It would weigh in at under five pounds bare easily. Find a single shot like that! My one has a 14 inch barrel which is short without the suppressor on it. You can also buy some seriously small and VERY light suppressors now too. Depends what your budget is. You could get something like this is 6.5 grendl which the Howa Minis come out in as standard and away you go. All stainless too. Smart gunsmiths can often make up removeable barrels as well I have been told. Hope this helps.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Hay Sneaka! how do you find the mag setup? does it carry ok? does it dig in ya back?

IP Logged

outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 4:34pm
Print Post  

That's a great looking rifle LMP. I get the impression the budget would be overkill for what I'm intending to do with it. I sure would like one of those though!

Thanks for that sneaka. It's a good option, I just didn't want to get involved with faffing around with a build, but it may come down to it yet if all else falls through. You've given me ideas though, I'll certainly bear it in mind. Cheers

IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #13 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 6:58am
Print Post  
I cut the magazine down to three rounds and it fits flush with the trigger guard base plate assembly. Magazine release catch also shortened. I carry extra five shot mags in my pocket for mob work. Very easy. When I carry it across my back I don't find it digs in. The Bergara Scout opening catch used to catch on my shirt (ripped two) and the rifle would break open while across my back. Now that was a pain in the butt. Honestly I have looked at this up and down hill and what I have arrived at is to me the best option. Aside from the Scott Trail rifle.

Cheers

IP Logged

outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 4:06pm
Print Post  

Looks as if Scott Trail has shut up shop, at least that's from what I can gather. I'd be appreciative if any knows any different and can give me a contact address. Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards