Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Taking my wife Salmon fishing up the Rakaia (Read 331 times)
Cuzza
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Taking my wife Salmon fishing up the Rakaia
Oct 31st, 2018 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Hi all... never been salmon fishing before, but my wife is keen to give it a go... just wondering if anyone can recommend a guide to take us out for a day, up one of the rivers near Christchurch, preferably the Rakaia when the season starts. Also... my understanding is that its actually pretty tough work catching one full stop, but I will need to manage her expectations... roughly what are the chances of actually catching one on a days fishing with a guide?

Any other tips or ideas about organising it would be very greatly received. As you can probably tell I have zero knowledge about anything to do with this sort of fishing. And my wife has done very little fishing full stop, in fact Im not sure she has at all. So very much beginners with no gear.

Both of us enjoy being upriver.. so that is our preference where at all possible. Also she's a tough cookie and just someone who gets on with the job and doesn't complain, so we don't mind putting in a bit of work.

Thanks in advance. Blair.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: Taking my wife Salmon fishing up the Rakaia
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
What month of the year are you thinking ?

IP Logged

Cuzza
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Pretty relaxed really. We live in Wellington but our families are in Christchurch so we are down there all the time. And we are flexible to be able to fit in with a guide too really, so just whenever it suits best for them, we would just make it work!

IP Logged

Cuzza
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Having said that I'll behunting for a good chunk of March and April, so I guess thinking about that Feb or early March probably easier, but like I say we will work in with whoever can take us! Cheers

IP Logged

Andy W
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  

IP Logged

fletty
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 6:55am
Print Post  
I was told its about 500 fishing hours per salmon caught. Just hope someone else has put in 499.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards