Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic HAYFEVER? (Read 668 times)
RhysAus
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

HAYFEVER?
Oct 31st, 2018 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Gday Kiwis!
i have a quick question in regards to Hayfever allergy in NZ.............
how many of You have "Hay Fever"
and how bad is NZ for hayfever allergy on average?

i get it quite a bit this time of year in Australia, generally as the silage is being cut or when the winds are up moving pollens around.

now i have plans to visit North island shortly an thought this place a good place to Ask about the hayfever!?

looking forward to some replys  and also a rough price on hayfever medicines like nasal sprays an once a day tablets?

cheers
Rhys

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: HAYFEVER?
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Once a day tablets are about $15 packet of 5? but there is a few $$ difference depending on brand.

Hayfever is pretty prevalent everywhere.

http://www.allergy.org.nz/site/allergynz/Annual%20Pollen%20Calendar%202018%20A3....

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Don't know about the distant north island but Canterbury is a massive farming and cropping province with huge amounts of silage being cut.  I am lucky enough to not get hayfever but my wife and kid does.

A beekeeping friend gave us a jar of pollen with instructions for the wife and kid to take some regularly so that they desensitize themselves to it.  I occasionally take a teaspoon of honey dipped in the pollen.  Given that I don't currently have hayfever so it's hard to tell if it works...

There isn't much pollen in our native bush so you are probably safe there.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I get pretty severe hayfever from about now though to end of January. I have slowly over the years tried to reduce the amount of medication I take to try and make my body adapt to the conditions. Most years when it gets bad I go to doctor and get 3months worth of tablets  ( citirizine hydrocloride), nasal spray like flixonase and sometimes eye drops too. Over the counter the tablets are about a dollar per day and nasal spray is about $20 per bottle. ( Lasts about a month)
I am mainly allergic to grass seed but pollen effects me too. Years ago I got too close to a full flowering privet bush and the result was less than pleasant.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

RhysAus
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Hey Rumpy thanks for the reply man, similiar situation to myself, try not to medicate unless its intolerable or too consistant Smiley

looks like il be in the 'burbs for a while an through the hayfever season or i might make that the plan anyway!

seems the dollaring isnt too bad compared to here anyway, alot o things same same-ish

cheers!

Rumpy wrote on Nov 1st, 2018 at 8:02pm:
I get pretty severe hayfever from about now though to end of January. I have slowly over the years tried to reduce the amount of medication I take to try and make my body adapt to the conditions. Most years when it gets bad I go to doctor and get 3months worth of tablets  ( citirizine hydrocloride), nasal spray like flixonase and sometimes eye drops too. Over the counter the tablets are about a dollar per day and nasal spray is about $20 per bottle. ( Lasts about a month)
I am mainly allergic to grass seed but pollen effects me too. Years ago I got too close to a full flowering privet bush and the result was less than pleasant.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Embarrassed  I get it quite bad at times especially hunting and fishing near long grass by rivers and clearings.  Medication dosent stop it but dose relieve the symptoms a bit,  at times I cant drive or work it gets that bad.  have been told theres a jab I can get to help but havent looked into it yet,  pretty cruel thing really and especially sux for kids.

Spent 3yrs in WA and was the best place for hayfever I would only get it for 2 or 3 weeks a year when the ryegrass was flowering apart from that it was too hot and dry for anything else to bother me

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
New Zealand is bad for pine pollen leading up to christmas time , and grass pollen from about October to late January.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I am allergic to hard work.  I have tried to desensitize myself by slowly introducing small amounts into my life but every time I get close to a lot of it I start to get a headache and feel sleepy.  This problem is getting worse as I get older.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 3:55pm:
I am allergic to hard work.  I have tried to desensitize myself by slowly introducing small amounts into my life but every time I get close to a lot of it I start to get a headache and feel sleepy.  This problem is getting worse as I get older.

geez I though that was just a millenial problem  Grin  mayby its contagious

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards