Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tahr hunt last week (Read 1365 times)
Lou Nunn
Donor Member

Tahr hunt last week
Oct 30th, 2018 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Will and I had planned a 5 day Tahr hunt a while back and had leave for the rest of the week after Labour day. Things got thrown into a bit of a tail spin after the Tahr cull was announced and the area we planned to hunt was named as one of the first areas on the hit list.
Well as you know things changed fast so we headed in as planned to have a good look around for a few bulls and a bit of meat. Although we had hunted that catchment many times, we had never driven that far up the river and had heard it was rugged for the last couple of hours. It was decided to take two vehicles ¾ of the way just in case things got ugly, we could easily walk back to our other vehicle for help.
First day we drove both vehicles up river on the well-worn track (never seen it so easy to navigate looked like a highway) to the hut and spent the evening glassing close by , spotting young 9 inch bulls from the hut door and a few nannies. Next day we left one vehicle there and headed further up river into unknown territory, the going was good apart from the last 500m where you have to cross the main river again, there is no easy way if you want to park at the hut door…but it is well worth it, it’s a bloody nice hut.

We hunted a side steam that arvo seeing maybe 15 animals but nothing worth taking so early on in the trip.
Next day was a hut day with snow falling most of the time, but with a cosy fire and solar lights, we couldn’t have been in a nicer spot. Large avalanches could be seen and heard rolling into the valley from the hut door ,so it reinforced the need to stay safe over the next few days.

Friday dawned fine so we decided to throw on packs and head up to the main divide. There is a new biv up there that’s only about 12 months old and a great little shelter from the cold (also has solar lights) Its painted the normal Doc green and cream making it a little hard to find as no markers visible  either… all huts should be orange or red for safety I reckon.

Late that arvo we were spotting good numbers of animals, most were still 500+m above the river but later in the day they were moving lower, we knocked over a 10” bull and killed a few nannies before moving to a new area and good vantage point to glass into the evening looking for better bulls.

About 6.30pm a group of 5 better looking bulls were spotted feeding at a range of 550m and about 300m above us, using the spotter we picked out the two biggest and closed the distance to just over 300m.  Will knocked them over and it was a pretty easy recovery the next morning with the dogs doing there bit in finding the animals in the high tussock.

It was Saturday now , we had enough meat and a couple of heads over 11” so it was decided to start the 2 hour walk then 7 hour rough drive back to Christchurch.
I’m in my late 50’s now and the hills are getting harder , but if they manage these animals correctly and keep allowing vehicle access up these river then I’ll be able to still hunt Tahr well into my 70’s and beyond for not a lot of financial outlay.  If they end up scarce or only on leasehold or private land and Helicopter is the only access then it may end up like England where only the rich or landowners can hunt.
Lets hope sense prevails and I’ll still be writing stories like this in 20 years’ time. 
Cheers Lou

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Re: Tahr hunt last week
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Nice report thanks mate. Nice trip, looks chilly  Cool

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Nice story and photos guys.Look after the knees Lou. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Nice report Lou. Good to hear the river is an easy drive for the most of it. Did you need a snorkel for any of it?
There was a article in the local paper about the new biv a few months ago. Great work by all involved.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Good work.. culling a few is the new thing.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Lou Nunn
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Rumpy wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 5:51pm:
Nice report Lou. Good to hear the river is an easy drive for the most of it. Did you need a snorkel for any of it?
There was a article in the local paper about the new biv a few months ago. Great work by all involved.

Didn’t need a snorkel in or out (was about 80 cub on way out) yeah those guys that manage those huts up there both the CMC and the Sportmens club do a bloody great job of those huts they look after..and loving those solar lights appearing now

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Enjoyed that great story and pics.

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2018 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Sweet! Looks like they have started to be nice and low enough for us bush hobbits!  Cheesy

Thanks for sharing!  Cool

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Good stuff Lou. Enjoyed your write up.
Cheers.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing, cheers

IP Logged

fletty
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Cheers for the report, was interested to know if your gwp is a dog or bitch, I am after a dog to put over my gwp/gsp the next time she comes on. cheers Fletty

IP Logged

Lou Nunn
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 8:08am
Print Post  
fletty wrote on Nov 3rd, 2018 at 6:52am:
Cheers for the report, was interested to know if your gwp is a dog or bitch, I am after a dog to put over my gwp/gsp the next time she comes on. cheers Fletty
it’s a dog but he’s been fixed so no action happening there

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards