Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic wild rabbit tastes like rubber... Help. (Read 299 times)
poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

wild rabbit tastes like rubber... Help.
Oct 26th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
I have been doing a bit of rabbit shooting lately and trying to cook a few up. They are always tough. Even in a slow cooker they come out stringy. Does anyone have an idiot proof method for making it edible.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: wild rabbit tastes like rubber... Help.
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
piece of cake bud....whip out the back straps...cut into cubes....quickfry in hot pan...season with some masterfoods mild steak seasoning.... butter is better than oil..... bread and butter is perfect...sammie to be eaten outside.... as for roasting???from memory me ol mum used to slow cook them for a while in water before baking in oven dish sort of like roasting a chook...stuff same as chook....for me its backstraps and/or cubed up back legs between extra thick white toast bread ,butter with salt n pepper.....will stop now of will get hungry Wink

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Similar to MD, hit front end with .223. take back straps and hind 1/4. be careful with its bladder. Cube all meat. If worried they are too gamey rinse in white vinegar and water. Use as replacement chicken in almost any dish, especially Thai curry satchets.

Leave the old bucks for the hawkes.

Rabbit does get better with a few days in the fridge in a covered bowl

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
So in the weekend shot a rabbit right through the head, chucked it in the bush.
My boy said "don't throw it away Dad, I want to take it to show people. Then we can eat it". Well I jumped that fence quick smart,  just the encouragement I needed to cook my first rabbit.
Gutted it and took all the meet I could off the bone the next morning. Then that afternoon fried it cubed in a cast iron fry pan, with butter just quick as real hot.
Turned down the heat, added can of tomatoes, bit of chili, salt, tarragon. Simmered it for an hour. Took it off the heat and mixed in baby spinach.
It was good, but some meat was chewy other bits were yum, most people liked it some didn't, almost had a kidney texture to it.

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
thanks, Ill give some of them a go. I did mince one and it was edible enough. The next time I will mince come bacon in with it. The other thing I am going to try is schnitzel. I figure tenderising the crap out of it first might solve some of the broblem.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I slow cook a  stew with a couble rabbits, bit of bacon, halved onion, potatoes, carrot, small tomatoes, few prunes (adds sweatness), barley, salt pepper, pinch of chilly, couple of bay leaves,can of beer.  Only use the back half of the rabbit and back steaks. When it falls of the bone its ready. Should be enough barley to make it thick and creamy. Keep adding beer if it needs more liquid.  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

jakkos
Forum Senior

There is one stop after
the trigger is pulled

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Try making a brine and put the rabbit in the brine overnight in the fridge. Add whatever spices etc you like to the brine. Remove rabbit. rinse well and pat dry with paper towel. then cook as you wish. It will make a difference. Cheesy Smiley

be good...And careful

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
if marinating add a lil bit of baking soda it tenderises the meat.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards