Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Labour Day Hunt. (Read 1136 times)
Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Labour Day Hunt.
Oct 22nd, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Had a day off work and was going to go up the Rangitata to look for a tahr. Sent a text to Micky and asked if he was keen to come along. He said yeah but Rangitata may be busy on a long weekend, to which I had to agree.
After a quick phone call we decided on another spot with a few wallabies and the odd fallow possibly running around.Decided first light was a good time for any success on the deer so Micky picked me up at 4am Shocked for the drive to the spot.
Arrived just on daylight and had a quick chat to a couple of guys camped at carpark about directions we intended to go for the day
Up the first valley we went and very soon saw our first wallaby for the day but was a bit quick for Micky to get a shot at. 3 minutes later we see the same wolly up the hill and Micky pulled of a pretty mean 80 metre freehand shot and nailed it. Another few minutes later and now with the recently developed 110g HP loads in my magazine I spied another wally sitting up the hillside at 70 metres. Up with the rifle and a squeeze and squeeze and squeeze, Bloody safety was on... Embarrassed  Flicked it off and bang flop another dead wally. Went and did a quick dissection to check bullet performance which was very impressive. (Micky has load data )
Continued up over spur to look into next valley, scared another wally and were just about to stop on ridge when Micky saw what looked like a fallow buck staring at us from some thick matagouri. Out with the rangefinder, Micky hissing How far,How far??? Couldn't find it in rangefinder so gave estimate of 250/300 metres. Micky said you shoot it but then it got wary and started moving off so Micky let rip with his .270 and a good thud noise came back. Watched carefully as to where it was heading as the matagouri was pretty thick in places and Mickys bitch Meg had stayed home.
I stayed up the hill and Micky headed down into the thick stuff to search for the buck. After walking in a couple of circles and some arm waving from me up the hill he found a blood spot and started tracking. Shortly the buck jumped up and made a last ditch attempt at escaping but a couple of shots from Micky    (Trying to headshoot a moving fallow) Wink it was down for the count, and it was only 7am.

A relaxed butchery session had all the salvageable meat in the packs for the massive 1500 metre trek back to the truck. Grin A huge effort compared to Mickys 600 metre walk out with his red stag last weekend.
Back home we went, at my place I managed to twist Mickys arm into having a Tui ( at 11 am ) for being such a GC and he then headed around the corner to his place and a well deserved nana nap. ( Not sure if he did or not but he is a bit older than me so probably needed it ) Grin Grin Grin

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Labour Day Hunt.
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Nice work, nothing wrong with a wee nap  Grin

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Oh nothing wrong with beer on Sunday morning I say, especially if you have just downed the tasty beast!  Cheesy

Always pisses me off reading about all these big walks you guys have to do...  Grin

IP Logged

BILLETTNZ

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Good work guys, got to have an easy one every now and then.. Cool

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Well done and a great result.

A 4am start, a few kills and a deer down by 7  is definitely nana nap material, hope you shared the carry a few times, lol

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Good going guys, nice easy morning hunt.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Good work - if you’re the young un Rumpy; you should do the carrying😂🤣

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Winkwe shared the carry and the meat..50/50 sort of deal as it should be.
plurry good wee wander it was, in good company...funny as heck pushing each other out of the way to do the knife work Grin and yes did have a wee snooze in afternoon Wink

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Well done guys,nice photo of the fallow too.I shot a couple of roos last week,not far from home either,cheeky buggers.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Well done men. I always reackon an easy one now and again makes up for all the hard yards over the years. Take them when ya can
And a Tui before 11.........would have been better with an Export.
Cheesy

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 5:51pm:
Winkwe shared the carry and the meat..50/50 sort of deal as it should be.
plurry good wee wander it was, in good company...funny as heck pushing each other out of the way to do the knife work Grin and yes did have a wee snooze in afternoon Wink

Micky just had to prove the Bahco was a better knife than my Gerber. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Thanks for the comments guys.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Cool Cool Cool

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 6:53am
Print Post  
😊😊😊
Not to sure about the Tui though.
I would’ve thought it’d be Speights down there.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Great report. Sounds like a good time had by all.

Did you write in big print so Micky could read it?  Huh

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
I wrote in big print because I respect my elders and like to make life easy for them whenever I can. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards