Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sunday morning wander (Read 1275 times)
Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Sunday morning wander
Oct 17th, 2018 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
This morning my good wife brought me in a cuppa tea at 05:00 as she getting up for work,I eventually dragged my sorry butt out of bed and got ready to head out door by 06:00  headed off up the road with trusty hound in tow. got up there just before 7 and headed off up hill.My good mate Dan couldnt make it today but had given me sage advice the night before "slow down and WATCH THE DOG" hes a good chap and I couldnt fault his logic.
Meg and I hadnt got very far from wagon and started to see loads of sign....tracks and poohs... some of the tracks were very fresh as had knocked the moisture off long grass from the day befores snow..... slowly and watch the dog I went.didnt get very far up along bush edge when I had the urge to ask our good Lord for some assistance  dont ask me why as I dont know  I did remember not to ask directly FOR SOMETHING but asked God to help me out with some guidance...now believe me if you will not even 30 seconds had passed before a noise was heard not far away in the thick scrubby bush beside us...I looked at Meg and cant print what she said  but was along the lines of "hurry up you dozy old man there is a deer in there"  so I back tracked 50 yards and entered the thick stuff...bush lawyer,wineberry,mingimingi,crown fern fallen beech,standing beech poles...yip it was thick alright but determined not to let the side down I kept in low low gear and carefully picked my way in.Meg has got pretty good at guiding me through thick stuff,she knows Im a clumbsey chap and cant just scoot through like she does so she will pick easy path way for me to follow  I kept her in very close as knew animal wasnt far away and kept moving slowly and quietly...got in about 20 yards and turned 90 degrees and kept stalking back towards where I thought sound had come from (with older hearing direction isnt as good as it once was)Meg was dead keen to keep going but we managed to stay at slow pace for about 50 yards more,my eyes were on stalks trying to pick out anything vaguely deer like in the tight undergrowth,saw a lighter patch of fawny brown ahead,put scope on it    fern I think   two steps more  might just look at that again....the fawny patch sort of heart shaped and its got a big brown bit off to left that has another big brown bit upright off the end of it that has EARS AND BIG BULGY EYEBALLLS LOOKING AT ME    bolt goes down crosshairs onto shoulder and Mr Hornadies finest is sent on its mission.

reloaded,stopped Meg who was nearly turning herself inside out by now with pent up excitedness    gave her a pat and started moving forwards.....no way was Meg going to hold back today...after the last few hunts being a bust with deer moving off our frustration levels have got a bit high...I knew my shot felt good and Meg was dead keen to find animal with or without me...I kept her in semi control and followed her as best as I could.now normally Im pretty anul about this bit and MAKE her slowly walk me into animal BUT everything was as wet as a shag going fishing so scent wasnt going to hang around for long so I let her go and did my best to keep up..she went about 50 yards then came back,back to same spot tail going flat out and back to me..led me down to one very dead stag piled up against a tree....yeeeeehaaa finnally the drought has been broken....got out phone for quick snapshot (will post later) did the whole poohs n wees onto outside bit,txted a few chaps to wake them up as it was only 8am Sunday morning   then had brain fart and decided as we so close I would carry out whole....got my carry strap all set up,got deer set up,stood up with deer across my back/hips and thought to self.....hmmmm this going to be interesting its a tad heavy.... got all of 20 yards before waking up to fact Im now 46 and dont have 18 year olds body to do the donkey work anymore   dumped animal down and got out knife ,took back wheels off at 3rd rib and boned out front end into daybag...lost 1/2 of one front shoulder...not bad for 30ish yards pill had gone through both shoulder blades(about 3" too high I know) and pulped one lung completely and made mess of the other. the damaged offside shoulder had hole big enough to put fist into...I rather fond of these 180grn round noses out of .308  put daybag of meat on back,grabbed back wheels and hoisted them up for a shoulder ride,picked up the rifle and got Meg to lead me out of the crappy scrub back up onto fenceline 50 yards away,a nice gentle stroll from there to car all of about 500-600 yards saw me covered in hair n blood 
home in hot shower by 10:30
life is good, God is great.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Sunday mroning wander
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 6:08pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

pyro

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Sunday morning wander
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Good stuff!

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Good report Mate. Gutted that I didn't come this time.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Nice job, I was with ya all the way,..... well until you mentioned carrying it out whole,  thats about the time i start calling up on the radio for one of the boys.  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Nice when dog can do the work for ya eh?  Smiley What was the condition of stag, are they fattening up after winter already?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 7:18am
Print Post  
not fat yet,had dropped casts not long before as only had 1/2" buttons......had slight pinky tinge under skin so Im a tad worried,weve had two other animals from close area that had that and both were tough as old boots thus the meat from this fella still sitting in buckets in fridge to be processed today,6 days from death,hopefully that will have given it time to age/tenderize somewhat.....steak sammie for lunch will give me fair idea (and venni farts all arvo Grin)...

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Good stuff Meg Smiley

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Good post MD., miss hunting with my old departed 4-legged mates, still have the memories and photos, though.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Oct 20th, 2018 at 7:18am:
not fat yet,had dropped casts not long before as only had 1/2" buttons......had slight pinky tinge under skin so Im a tad worried,weve had two other animals from close area that had that and both were tough as old boots thus the meat from this fella still sitting in buckets in fridge to be processed today,6 days from death,hopefully that will have given it time to age/tenderize somewhat.....steak sammie for lunch will give me fair idea (and venni farts all arvo Grin)...

Do you have a walk-in chiller or how do you age it? I would hang old stag like this for more than 6 days, probably 10-12?

Have a look at this, might be interesting read for you, its called "Day Grade" and is widely used in Scandinavian countries, I think that its best approach to ageing wild game:

https://www.jagareltd.com/blog/the-knowledge-behind-aging-meat-1

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:11am
Print Post  
That's a bloody useful article. Cheers

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Wow, have to agree Oscar. I have never seen or heard of this process with the times/science to back it up. Thanks for sharing Pete.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
works for me..thanks for the link.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Ya bugger, not only did you txt me you’ve told the world.....good on ya Mike and Meg..... hope she got an off cut or two.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
nice one MD and Meg  Smiley

hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards