Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I need information help (Read 2074 times)
DesertRoad
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

I need information help
Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Hey guys Im 15 turning 16 In a few weeks I was just wondering if I am able to leave school and go bush straight away or do I have to have a job cheers

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Re: I need information help
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
I'd look for a job first, young feller, earn a bit of cash and go off to the bush with really good clothing and gear. Plus a little reserve of cash in the bank may be of help to you.  Wink

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Young man; most bush jobs start at a minimum age of 18. Really, you need to think hard before going it alone quite so early in life. Some others have also given you wise advice Smiley

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Depends on what you want to do for the rest of your life. Like Ex-poacher said having a bit of money saved up is a good idea. Do you intend to live off the land or gain an income from possums etc? Having some sort of training or work experience will help you out in the future IMO.
If you do end up going bush make sure you know how to survive and have some decent gear.

.270 WIN AWESOME SINCE 1925 "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Whats the plan for buying your food?

IP Logged

Monowai

If hunting was easy everyone
would be doing it

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Gid day - like the motivation and the bush is a great life - BUT - the suggestions above are worth considering.  My advice is that start out in an outside job - get used to what outdoor life entails.  You will be too young for forestry - but consider farm work (not dairy) look contracting, scrub spraying, fencing.  This will get you exposed to the outdoors, and many farms are back country.  Also gives you contacts for later.  Gives you an idea of the best clothes and boots and you met blokes who can give advice.  More importantly  - money to get you started.  The outdoor life is great - but you need plenty of experience.
Monowai

IP Logged

DesertRoad
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
I already have a rifle pack tent etc all the essentials and was planning to sell possum fur and meat antlers and stuff like that and a hunting spot where me and my father have been going for a long time on the desert road where I have shot 6 deer and he has shot hundreds was planning to just live off deer and buy occasional groceries with money from deer and possums . I appreciate all your suggestions and I think I will probably stay in school another year and save up for a vehicle or better gear then either do a building apprenticeship or go bush full time. I was also wondering what other ways of making money in the bush are and is deer culling on foot still a thing in nz cheers

IP Logged

DesertRoad
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Im also more experienced then you might think I have been bush hunting a walking plenty of kilometres since was 5 and my dad taught my what the best equipment is and how to hunt properly he has been doing well for 35 years with well over a thousand deer. I was thinking guiding is a possibility but I think I would need to be older for that and more experienced. I have a bit of experience on the farm and machines already plus my dad is a fencer and I know a bit about that.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Going bush is a helluva social life. No one but the birds to talk to and not even many of them.. Certainly not the right species.  Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 8:10am:
Going bush is a helluva social life. No one but the birds to talk to and not even many of them.. Certainly not the right species. Smiley

You'll be like a roaring Red Stag when you get to the pub at 18 after two years bush  Grin Grin Grin

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 4:21pm
Print Post  

I'd suggest you go bush for a month, then come out for a month and re-appraise.

If you're still keen, give it another go for for say two months, come out for a bit and give it a bit more thought. After this you may find that things may not seem quite as rosy as they first appear, but......... you never know.

As you've mentioned, getting a trade is a good option, but it's also good to get it out of your system so as you can focus.

Good luck

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Only one way to find out mate.

If it doesn't work out - it's a lesson learned.

And if it does - you'll 'fine tune' as you go along and at the end of it you'll know more than all of us combined.

Follow your nose - good luck.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
As an ex culler my advice to you is to finish school first.
You have plenty of time to pursue the dream.
At 18 you will have a better chance of finding employment in the outdoors. I think culling is now in the hands of contractors.
You could contact some of those operators around the country.
Here's one.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/85543863/otago-man-offers-bloody-job-to-nonwhin...

You could apply with DOC and see what opportunities there are--there may be track cutting vacancies-hut maintenance, that sort of thing.
Good luck.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

gonebush
Donor Member

7mm REM MAG forever

Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 11:56am
Print Post  
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 5:35pm:
I'd look for a job first, young feller, earn a bit of cash and go off to the bush with really good clothing and gear. Plus a little reserve of cash in the bank may be of help to you. Wink

Ask your teachers regarding leaving school. It has changed a bit since I left. Grin

There are Hunters and fishermen and the rest of you SAD Bastards!!

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 8:11am
Print Post  
hey young fella, go give it a crack you may just have to part time work it for a bit untill youre 18 or got experience for a contractor to take you on but you may get lucky and find someone to take you under their wing.

1 of my biggest regrets of my life so far was not following my ambitions and taking job security and $$$ instead of jumping in and giving it a go,  now my body is getting sore and dont bounce back like it did 10-15yrs ago and now with mortgage and kids it makes a bush lifestyle that much harder to acheive.

follow your dreams if you can,  learn to live of the smell of an oily rag and youll be alright.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards