Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Good article highlighting 'Resource' (Read 563 times)
Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Good article highlighting 'Resource'
Oct 14th, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Re: Good article highlighting 'Resource'
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
A bit like Las Vegas is a gambling paradise  Smiley

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 5:50am
Print Post  
Oscar wrote on Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:23pm:
A bit like Las Vegas is a gambling paradise  Smiley

True, but where is the harm (unlike gambling)?

This has to be some of the most efficient agriculture we have in terms of $ earned per unit of pollutant/input. And these tourists are not shitting in the bushes in your favourite picnic area. The by-product provides an excellent training environment for beginners, quite a few of whom progress to "real" hunting.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Yeah, I've noticed the focus in the current tahr debate on economy/finances. Personally I feel that's not the ideal primary focus, but its where we've ended up, and what led to AATH and animals shot behind wire. Doubt we can turn back the clock, but I listened to a podcast on hunting Dall Sheep and Stone Sheep the other day and it made pretty clear what we've lost. 

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Is it good to examine both sides of this issue ?New Zealand Home of the "canned hunt". Not too many beginners lashing out $10,000-$20,000 per hunt though.

"Ultimately, my gripe with this kind of hunting isn’t so much that it’s immoral, because I don’t believe that there’s anything wrong with killing domestic animals for human purposes. Rather, my gripe with the activity is that it cheapens the meaning of hunting when guys insist on applying the term “hunting” to the practice"."

You wouldn't shoot a sheep in a paddock and call it hunting either  Wink

I laugh at commercial operators whether AATH or trophy parks when they are under threat.  Collectively as a group they trot out the "big bucks" argument.  This government threw the whole oil industry under the bus, a real multi billion dollar business.  Does anyone think a few dollars from AATH or the trophy parks will validate the activity.  Perhaps we should claim more than dubious dollar values to justify our passion.  

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
There was a campaign in the one of the american states a few years back against canned hunting.  They came up with a simple slogan which sums the whole thing up fairly well imho.

"Real hunters don't shoot pets"

https://www.utne.com/environment/tame-animals-killed-in-canned-hunts

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards