Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Load development video - 7mm rem mag (Read 433 times)
stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Load development video - 7mm rem mag
Oct 13th, 2018 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Made a bit of video whilst developing a load for my 7mm rem mag. Nothing too exciting but may interest some people. Cheers.

https://youtu.be/pGkocom8KCk

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

TCedes

Re: Load development video - 7mm rem mag
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Good shit! Can be a bastard finding that sweet spot!

TCedes

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Good watch. Interesting that you got better grouping when you shot without bipod. Everyone is different but I know I shoot a lot better on a good rest front and rear and hold forend.
Does the long range dialling work as an accurate measure of MV? Or do you need a starting  ( measured) MV?

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Just an update on this, I have just got a new load going well at more speed. 63.5gr IMR 4831 with 20thou jump for 2940fps. Shoots great so far. My rifle just really didnít like the 2217 and once I switched to the IMR and seated closer to the lands it closed right up in both group size and velocity spread. Iím also shooting off the bipod again too, I thought it may have been contributing to poor accuracy before but it wasnít the case. I should have known better as the bipod never gave me issues in the past haha just a fustrating battle finding an accurate load.

YouTube  
IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Rumpy wrote on Nov 3rd, 2018 at 8:17am:
Good watch. Interesting that you got better grouping when you shot without bipod. Everyone is different but I know I shoot a lot better on a good rest front and rear and hold forend.
Does the long range dialling work as an accurate measure of MV? Or do you need a starting† ( measured) MV?

Hi Rumpy, validation of your long range load will essentially give you your MV. This is where you shoot targets at range, preferably a few different ranges such as 300, 500 and 700 and you record how much dial you applied to get on target at those ranges. You then play with the speed in your ballistic app to have the app marry up with your real world results. Obviously having your MV from the chronograph prior to this helps speed up the process and get you in the right place faster. Hopefully that makes sense 👍🏻

YouTube  
IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
And if it doesn't quite match up I would check the scope and how it tracks. Sometimes one click is not exactly 1/4 MOA or 0.1MIL and if you shoot out to 700+ and have to adjust a fair bit, it can make a difference.
Done it the other day as my results and the app results weren't 100% the same. Turns out that my scope dials 3% more per click and correction factor is therefore 0.97. No big deal under 500m but after that it's a fair bit...

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info guys. I'm not a long range hunter by any means but would be nice to be able to tip over the odd wallaby out to 4 maybe 500 metres.

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards