Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Transporting a dog on a quad bike (Read 152 times)
hagis

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Transporting a dog on a quad bike
Oct 10th, 2018 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Hi ; after advice on the safest way to transport my Lab x Springer 5 months old on the back of my quad into the bush thru rather difficult up and down terrain, thanks in advance

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Transporting a dog on a quad bike
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Through the tricky bits the dog is better off walking, not on the quad.
Don't tie the dog to the quad. If he/she tries to jump off (often happens when they get unbalanced going around a corner or over a bump) you dont want to drag them or hang them. If you are going too fast for the dog to jump off you should hold it's collar with one hand (which will also make you go slower as only one hand left for driving!). It's best if you can get them to lie down on the back rather than stand. Smaller dogs are okay sitting in front of the rider, but smaller dogs that grow into big dogs...not such a good idea  Wink

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
cut plywood or better still rubber matting to fit over the bars so dog CANT get legs jammed down into them. right up by your bum is good (unless dog is wet)..my nephew has his stock dogs trained so all his heading dogs sit in front and the huntaways sit on the rear....once they learn they good for life.

IP Logged

hagis

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Cheers for that

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards